A new hard drive

Posted: 03-08-2009, 03:01 AM
I currently have only 60GB on the hard drive on my system (XP Home SP3) . I
would like to upgrade to a 300-500GB drive. Is there some way in which I
could transfer my entire hard drive contents to a brand new hard drive, such
that I would be able to boot from, and run all of my applications from, the
new hard drive?
--
John

A new hard drive


Responses to "A new hard drive"

Andrew E.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: A new hard drive
Posted: 03-08-2009, 04:14 AM
The hds need to be IDE,not SATA.If you run IDE,then set the new hd as
slave on the same IDE cable as C:.Once in xp,format the hd,once thru,go to
run,type: XCOPY C:\*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r Agree to all in the DOS window,once
its thru,youre finished.Also,D: being the new hd,if asigned a diffrent letter
then use that letter instead..XCOPY takes 10-15 minutes.

"John" wrote:
> I currently have only 60GB on the hard drive on my system (XP Home SP3) . I
> would like to upgrade to a 300-500GB drive. Is there some way in which I
> could transfer my entire hard drive contents to a brand new hard drive, such
> that I would be able to boot from, and run all of my applications from, the
> new hard drive?
> --
> John
DL
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: A new hard drive
Posted: 03-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Ignore missinformation from Andrew
The HD manufacturers have a free tool to copy all to your new drive. *read*
the instructions before use!!!
Or a third party Tool such as Acronis TI can do the same thing, as well as
serving as a backup application

Broadly speaking you install the new HD, connected as appropriate, commence
the copy/clone, once completed, *immediately* shutdown. Disconnect old
drive, reset new as master, if required, then reboot

"John" <jREMOVEcmcf@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
news:70838E0B-D844-4026-A6F3-FCA2B8D439FB@microsoft.com...
>I currently have only 60GB on the hard drive on my system (XP Home SP3) .
>I
> would like to upgrade to a 300-500GB drive. Is there some way in which I
> could transfer my entire hard drive contents to a brand new hard drive,
> such
> that I would be able to boot from, and run all of my applications from,
> the
> new hard drive?
> --
> John

Hans-Georg Michna
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: A new hard drive
Posted: 03-08-2009, 12:37 PM
On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 09:12:06 -0000, DL wrote:
>Ignore missinformation from Andrew
>The HD manufacturers have a free tool to copy all to your new drive. *read*
>the instructions before use!!!
>Or a third party Tool such as Acronis TI can do the same thing, as well as
>serving as a backup application
>
>Broadly speaking you install the new HD, connected as appropriate, commence
>the copy/clone, once completed, *immediately* shutdown. Disconnect old
>drive, reset new as master, if required, then reboot
DL is right. This is good advice.

For additional background information and other procedures,
please have a look at http://winhlp.com/node/66 .

Hans-Georg
--
No mail, please.
Peter Foldes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: A new hard drive
Posted: 03-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Andrew

You keep giving bad advice . Have told you numerous times to leave the newsgroups
because you are causing more issues for the OP's then they have. Go get a life

--
Peter

Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

"Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote in message
news:79E383C7-98F7-4622-94EB-08B8401FE9C9@microsoft.com...
> The hds need to be IDE,not SATA.If you run IDE,then set the new hd as
> slave on the same IDE cable as C:.Once in xp,format the hd,once thru,go to
> run,type: XCOPY C:\*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r Agree to all in the DOS window,once
> its thru,youre finished.Also,D: being the new hd,if asigned a diffrent letter
> then use that letter instead..XCOPY takes 10-15 minutes.
>
> "John" wrote:
>
>> I currently have only 60GB on the hard drive on my system (XP Home SP3) . I
>> would like to upgrade to a 300-500GB drive. Is there some way in which I
>> could transfer my entire hard drive contents to a brand new hard drive, such
>> that I would be able to boot from, and run all of my applications from, the
>> new hard drive?
>> --
>> John
Hunter01
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: A new hard drive
Posted: 03-08-2009, 04:00 PM
You already said this in another thread, and you were already corrected
there. This will not work, this is an ollldd solution from the win9x
days and wont work with xp, you're much better off using a proper
imaging solution if you actually want to see it work.


Andrew E. wrote:
> The hds need to be IDE,not SATA.If you run IDE,then set the new hd as
> slave on the same IDE cable as C:.Once in xp,format the hd,once thru,go to
> run,type: XCOPY C:\*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r Agree to all in the DOS window,once
> its thru,youre finished.Also,D: being the new hd,if asigned a diffrent letter
> then use that letter instead..XCOPY takes 10-15 minutes.
>
> "John" wrote:
>
>> I currently have only 60GB on the hard drive on my system (XP Home SP3) . I
>> would like to upgrade to a 300-500GB drive. Is there some way in which I
>> could transfer my entire hard drive contents to a brand new hard drive, such
>> that I would be able to boot from, and run all of my applications from, the
>> new hard drive?
>> --
>> John
Anteaus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: A new hard drive
Posted: 03-08-2009, 08:21 PM

"Hans-Georg Michna" wrote:
> DL is right. This is good advice.
Correct. The point that Andrew doesn't seem to understand is that XP, unlike
98, holds certain files open all the time, making a full copy using straight
XCOPY impossible. There are ways round this such as using shadow copy, or by
copying with a CD-based OS such as BartPE or Knoppix, but the Acronis route
is simpler and more foolproof.

As mentioned your disk manufacturer may offer a feature-limited copy of
Acronis or similar for free. Check first. If not a free alternative to
Acronis can be had from:
http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm
I can't vouch for this in all situations but I've used it a few times with
good results. It's also included in the UBCD4Win boot CD, which is possibly
the best way to use it.

David B.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: A new hard drive
Posted: 03-09-2009, 04:22 PM
There are many, many points that Andrew doesn't understand, not just that
one.

--

Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375



"Anteaus" <Anteaus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4A83B6BC-CC83-4B2E-9091-819F853D1EAF@microsoft.com...
>
> "Hans-Georg Michna" wrote:
>
>> DL is right. This is good advice.
>
> Correct. The point that Andrew doesn't seem to understand is that XP,
> unlike
> 98, holds certain files open all the time, making a full copy using
> straight
> XCOPY impossible. There are ways round this such as using shadow copy, or
> by
> copying with a CD-based OS such as BartPE or Knoppix, but the Acronis
> route
> is simpler and more foolproof.
>
> As mentioned your disk manufacturer may offer a feature-limited copy of
> Acronis or similar for free. Check first. If not a free alternative to
> Acronis can be had from:
> http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm
> I can't vouch for this in all situations but I've used it a few times with
> good results. It's also included in the UBCD4Win boot CD, which is
> possibly
> the best way to use it.
>
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: A new hard drive
Posted: 03-10-2009, 01:59 AM
I obtained Acronis, and am ready to clone my new drive. Thanks for you
input.
--
John


"DL" wrote:
> Ignore missinformation from Andrew
> The HD manufacturers have a free tool to copy all to your new drive. *read*
> the instructions before use!!!
> Or a third party Tool such as Acronis TI can do the same thing, as well as
> serving as a backup application
>
> Broadly speaking you install the new HD, connected as appropriate, commence
> the copy/clone, once completed, *immediately* shutdown. Disconnect old
> drive, reset new as master, if required, then reboot
>
> "John" <jREMOVEcmcf@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
> news:70838E0B-D844-4026-A6F3-FCA2B8D439FB@microsoft.com...
> >I currently have only 60GB on the hard drive on my system (XP Home SP3) .
> >I
> > would like to upgrade to a 300-500GB drive. Is there some way in which I
> > could transfer my entire hard drive contents to a brand new hard drive,
> > such
> > that I would be able to boot from, and run all of my applications from,
> > the
> > new hard drive?
> > --
> > John
>
>
>
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hard drive light constantly flashing ,reading hard drive during id Sid Windows Vista Hardware & Devices 16 09-20-2008 01:06 AM
Transferring files from Slave XP hard drive to new Vista Hard drive - primary Scootermc50@gmail.com Windows Vista Install & Setup 1 05-24-2007 01:46 AM
replacing small hard drive with a larger hard drive. roger sam Windows XP Accessibility 2 01-24-2006 02:00 AM
Hard Drive cannot Boot - Hard Drive Password Prevents Win XP Access. JKD ASSOC Windows XP Hardware 2 05-11-2004 02:44 PM
Transferring Settings from One Hard Drive to New Hard Drive hagen007 Windows XP New Users 0 08-09-2003 06:41 PM