"Access is denied" problem

Posted: 11-20-2008, 04:29 AM
I use "TreeSize" to show me how my disk space is used. On my other Vista
Home Premium laptop as well as my XP Pro computers, it runs fine. But on my
new Vista Home Premium laptop, it constantly says "Access is denied" for
many folders. How do I get rid of this and let the program access every
folder? TIA, Paul

"Access is denied" problem


Responses to ""Access is denied" problem"

Richard G. Harper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: "Access is denied" problem
Posted: 11-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Try right-clicking the program and selecting "Run as Administrator" instead
of just clicking it and running it as usual.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
* NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
* PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
* The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/


"Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
news:CF37D8F4-04A8-45FD-9C3D-DACDBB57E3F2@microsoft.com...
>I use "TreeSize" to show me how my disk space is used. On my other Vista
> Home Premium laptop as well as my XP Pro computers, it runs fine. But on
> my
> new Vista Home Premium laptop, it constantly says "Access is denied" for
> many folders. How do I get rid of this and let the program access every
> folder? TIA, Paul
>
Paul H
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: "Access is denied" problem
Posted: 11-20-2008, 02:55 PM
No help - same problem. What sets these constraints? I'm the only user, so
my access should be total.

"Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
news:3E8A9A63-608A-4B2F-B2EC-983D15C8EF71@microsoft.com...
Try right-clicking the program and selecting "Run as Administrator" instead
of just clicking it and running it as usual.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
* NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
* PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
* The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/


"Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
news:CF37D8F4-04A8-45FD-9C3D-DACDBB57E3F2@microsoft.com...
>I use "TreeSize" to show me how my disk space is used. On my other Vista
> Home Premium laptop as well as my XP Pro computers, it runs fine. But on
> my
> new Vista Home Premium laptop, it constantly says "Access is denied" for
> many folders. How do I get rid of this and let the program access every
> folder? TIA, Paul
>
Jimmy Brush
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: "Access is denied" problem
Posted: 11-21-2008, 12:00 AM
Hello,

What folders are you denied access to?

- JB


"Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
news:05D72E8D-57B5-4B16-9C4C-D14B18B0C037@microsoft.com...
> No help - same problem. What sets these constraints? I'm the only user,
> so
> my access should be total.
>
> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
> news:3E8A9A63-608A-4B2F-B2EC-983D15C8EF71@microsoft.com...
> Try right-clicking the program and selecting "Run as Administrator"
> instead
> of just clicking it and running it as usual.
>
> --
> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
> * NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
> * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
> * The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>
>
> "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
> news:CF37D8F4-04A8-45FD-9C3D-DACDBB57E3F2@microsoft.com...
>>I use "TreeSize" to show me how my disk space is used. On my other Vista
>> Home Premium laptop as well as my XP Pro computers, it runs fine. But on
>> my
>> new Vista Home Premium laptop, it constantly says "Access is denied" for
>> many folders. How do I get rid of this and let the program access every
>> folder? TIA, Paul
>>
>
Gordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: "Access is denied" problem
Posted: 11-21-2008, 08:42 AM
"Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
news:499D3F3F-67E9-4C1F-883F-A281D6E8398C@microsoft.com...
> Hi Jimmy,
> Attached are a few examples. I only have this problem with "TreeSize".
> "Find.exe" looks everywhere with no restrictions.
> Thanks,
> Paul
>
Right. "Documents and Settings" is NOT a folder - it's a junction point. The
only reason it's there is to allow pre-Vista applications that use
"Documents and Settings" to work properly.
Why on EARTH would you want to access the Prefetch file anyway? What could
you possibly do with it?
likewise msconfig.msi? Likewise MSOCache? (MSOCache is where all your Office
installation files are put, so that you don't need to insert the CD/DVD all
the time)

I really don't see what the problem is....

Jimmy Brush
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: "Access is denied" problem
Posted: 11-21-2008, 10:46 PM
If you are running the program "as administrator", that is the best list you
are going to get, short of modifying system security settings (which is not
recommended).

Unfortunately, the real problem here lies with the application itself. If it
were designed differently, it would be able to show you the file usage
regardless of your access rights.

- JB


"Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
newsD43070F-8F08-4E4A-81F6-BA0E4EC08C4E@microsoft.com...
>
> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
> news:%23ZOnOU7SJHA.5568@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
> news:499D3F3F-67E9-4C1F-883F-A281D6E8398C@microsoft.com...
>> Hi Jimmy,
>> Attached are a few examples. I only have this problem with "TreeSize".
>> "Find.exe" looks everywhere with no restrictions.
>> Thanks,
>> Paul
>>
>
> Right. "Documents and Settings" is NOT a folder - it's a junction point.
> The
> only reason it's there is to allow pre-Vista applications that use
> "Documents and Settings" to work properly.
> Why on EARTH would you want to access the Prefetch file anyway? What could
> you possibly do with it?
> likewise msconfig.msi? Likewise MSOCache? (MSOCache is where all your
> Office
> installation files are put, so that you don't need to insert the CD/DVD
> all
> the time)
>
> I really don't see what the problem is....
>
> =======================
>
> You're correct, Gordon,
> As you can see from the attached picture, the program shows me what is
> taking space on my hard drive. Those folders are probably negligible, so
> not a meaningful loss. But perfect is better than almost.
> Thanks,
> Paul
>
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Location is Not Available" -- "Access is Denied." Steven Hilgendorf Windows Vista Install & Setup 3 04-29-2007 04:39 PM
"Win32_Processor: WMI: Access denied" and "Win32_OperatingSystem: WMI: Access denied" Mark Jennings Windows XP WMI 3 12-29-2004 04:18 PM
network shares "access is denied" / "not enough server storage" LDC Windows XP Network & Web 6 12-29-2003 09:26 AM
"Administrative Access denied" problem in WinXP Home Walter Erangoli Windows XP Security & Administration 0 09-18-2003 08:43 AM
Network access problem - "Access denied" Todd Windows XP 2 07-25-2003 07:32 AM