Activations

Posted: 07-09-2006, 03:11 AM
I was reading the information on the the DVD Holder I received in the mail
when I saw:

"You may install and activate each copy of Windows Vista Beta 2 on up to 10
PCs."

Does this mean that we can install Vista more than 10 times on one computer
in-case the installation becomes corrupt or something? Or are we limited to
10 Installations Total?

Activations


Responses to "Activations"

rich066
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: Activations
Posted: 07-09-2006, 04:03 AM
The way that I understand it, you can install it on ten different machines.
If you reformat and reinstall it on the original machine, that machine counts
as one, no matter how many times Vista gets reinstalled.

"Cameron" wrote:
> I was reading the information on the the DVD Holder I received in the mail
> when I saw:
>
> "You may install and activate each copy of Windows Vista Beta 2 on up to 10
> PCs."
>
> Does this mean that we can install Vista more than 10 times on one computer
> in-case the installation becomes corrupt or something? Or are we limited to
> 10 Installations Total?
Cameron
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: Activations
Posted: 07-09-2006, 04:10 AM
Okay, thanks for the quick reply.

"rich066" wrote:
> The way that I understand it, you can install it on ten different machines.
> If you reformat and reinstall it on the original machine, that machine counts
> as one, no matter how many times Vista gets reinstalled.
>
> "Cameron" wrote:
>
> > I was reading the information on the the DVD Holder I received in the mail
> > when I saw:
> >
> > "You may install and activate each copy of Windows Vista Beta 2 on up to 10
> > PCs."
> >
> > Does this mean that we can install Vista more than 10 times on one computer
> > in-case the installation becomes corrupt or something? Or are we limited to
> > 10 Installations Total?
Cameron
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: Activations
Posted: 07-09-2006, 04:11 AM
Okay, thanks for the quick reply.

"rich066" wrote:
> The way that I understand it, you can install it on ten different machines.
> If you reformat and reinstall it on the original machine, that machine counts
> as one, no matter how many times Vista gets reinstalled.
>
> "Cameron" wrote:
>
> > I was reading the information on the the DVD Holder I received in the mail
> > when I saw:
> >
> > "You may install and activate each copy of Windows Vista Beta 2 on up to 10
> > PCs."
> >
> > Does this mean that we can install Vista more than 10 times on one computer
> > in-case the installation becomes corrupt or something? Or are we limited to
> > 10 Installations Total?
John Barnett MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Activations
Posted: 07-09-2006, 11:59 AM
It means you can install the Vista beta on 10 individual machines.
Obviously, the 'ordinary man/woman in the street' wouldn't be using 10
machines. The object of the exercise is for companies to be able to install
Vista on more than one machine for other users to help test the operating
system within the company environment.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org

The information in this mail is supplied "as is". No warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
reliability or content of this mail. The Author shall not be liable for any
direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use
of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this mail..


"Cameron" <Cameron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:8F3A4A4C-752A-4CC2-AF1D-C9387999B203@microsoft.com...
>I was reading the information on the the DVD Holder I received in the mail
> when I saw:
>
> "You may install and activate each copy of Windows Vista Beta 2 on up to
> 10
> PCs."
>
> Does this mean that we can install Vista more than 10 times on one
> computer
> in-case the installation becomes corrupt or something? Or are we limited
> to
> 10 Installations Total?

John Boy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Activations
Posted: 07-09-2006, 12:12 PM
If you want more than one instance of Vista on a
single computer, you must have a unique key for
each individual installation on that computer.
I found that out when I first installed Vista.
I have it on a separate computer and I put 2
partitions on the only hard drive in the system.
First I installed Vista x86 and then I started
the installation of Vista x64, it would not
accept the key I had used for x86. I had to
request another key so I could install x64.


Cameron wrote:
> I was reading the information on the the DVD Holder I received in the mail
> when I saw:
>
> "You may install and activate each copy of Windows Vista Beta 2 on up to 10
> PCs."
>
> Does this mean that we can install Vista more than 10 times on one computer
> in-case the installation becomes corrupt or something? Or are we limited to
> 10 Installations Total?
Jon_Hildrum
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Activations
Posted: 07-09-2006, 02:12 PM
You can use the same key for multiple installation on one machine. However,
the X86 version uses a different key than the X64 version.

--
Jon Hildrum
DTS MVP
Jon_Hildrum@msn.com
www.hildrum.com
"John Boy" <John.Boy@Discussions.Microsoft.Com> wrote in message
news:euxr3D1oGHA.4116@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> If you want more than one instance of Vista on a single computer, you must
> have a unique key for each individual installation on that computer. I
> found that out when I first installed Vista. I have it on a separate
> computer and I put 2 partitions on the only hard drive in the system.
> First I installed Vista x86 and then I started the installation of Vista
> x64, it would not accept the key I had used for x86. I had to request
> another key so I could install x64.
>
>
> Cameron wrote:
>> I was reading the information on the the DVD Holder I received in the
>> mail when I saw:
>>
>> "You may install and activate each copy of Windows Vista Beta 2 on up to
>> 10 PCs."
>>
>> Does this mean that we can install Vista more than 10 times on one
>> computer in-case the installation becomes corrupt or something? Or are we
>> limited to 10 Installations Total?

John Barnett MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Activations
Posted: 07-09-2006, 03:28 PM
X86 and X64 versions of Vista have different product code numbers, so yes
you would require another key code for the x64 build.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org

The information in this mail is supplied "as is". No warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
reliability or content of this mail. The Author shall not be liable for any
direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use
of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this mail..


"John Boy" <John.Boy@Discussions.Microsoft.Com> wrote in message
news:euxr3D1oGHA.4116@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> If you want more than one instance of Vista on a single computer, you must
> have a unique key for each individual installation on that computer. I
> found that out when I first installed Vista. I have it on a separate
> computer and I put 2 partitions on the only hard drive in the system.
> First I installed Vista x86 and then I started the installation of Vista
> x64, it would not accept the key I had used for x86. I had to request
> another key so I could install x64.
>
>
> Cameron wrote:
>> I was reading the information on the the DVD Holder I received in the
>> mail when I saw:
>>
>> "You may install and activate each copy of Windows Vista Beta 2 on up to
>> 10 PCs."
>>
>> Does this mean that we can install Vista more than 10 times on one
>> computer in-case the installation becomes corrupt or something? Or are we
>> limited to 10 Installations Total?

John Boy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Activations
Posted: 07-09-2006, 04:47 PM
The keys will work in either x86 or x64, you
just cannot use the same key twice on the same
computer.

From the Vista DVD:

Quote:

Product Identification
On the other side of this card you will find a
unique Product Key number. You will need to use
this Product Key each time you wish to install
the windows Vista software (use the same key for
both 32-or 64-bit versions). You may install
the beta software as many times as you like on
the same computer. The Product Key allows you
install Windows Vista Beta 2 on up to 10
computers at a time.

End of quote:

This is straight from Microsoft.


John Barnett MVP wrote:
> X86 and X64 versions of Vista have different product code numbers, so yes
> you would require another key code for the x64 build.
>
John Boy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Activations
Posted: 07-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Correction to first sentence.

You cannot use the same key on two active
installations; i.e., one x86 install & one x64
install, both being capable of being booted up -
a "dual boot" situation.

John Boy wrote:
> The keys will work in either x86 or x64, you just cannot use the same
> key twice on the same computer.
>
> From the Vista DVD:
>
> Quote:
>
> Product Identification
> On the other side of this card you will find a unique Product Key
> number. You will need to use this Product Key each time you wish to
> install the windows Vista software (use the same key for both 32-or
> 64-bit versions). You may install the beta software as many times as
> you like on the same computer. The Product Key allows you install
> Windows Vista Beta 2 on up to 10 computers at a time.
>
> End of quote:
>
> This is straight from Microsoft.
>
>
> John Barnett MVP wrote:
>> X86 and X64 versions of Vista have different product code numbers, so
>> yes you would require another key code for the x64 build.
>>
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 activations per 1 copy of OEM Win XP OK? Mike Brannigan [MSFT] Windows XP Setup 7 08-10-2003 04:18 AM