After bootup only Ease of Access and Shut Down buttons visible

Posted: 01-21-2009, 10:14 AM

Hi all

It looks like after I was messing with the registry of my Acer Aspir
5720 I can't boot up properly :cry:

After booting up I see the Windows Vista home premium text with Vista'
blue/green background and only two buttons. On the left is Ease o
Access and on the right is Shut Down/Restart/Sleep button

I don't see the task bar, can't call the task manager with ctr-alt-de
no Start button, no desktop icons

The safe mode starts fine (I'm writing this while in safe mode wit
networking)

I've tried repair windows option with no luck

Startup recovery says: Could not detect a proble

System restore says: No restore points have been create

Complete PC restore: No valid backup locations could be foun

When I start command prompt it starts ok with x:\windows\system32 i
not little strange since I don't have an X drive . I've trie
unsuccesfully to start windows explorer by going to c: and typin
explorer.exe. I don't know what else I can do with it :

This all started after I uninstalled Logmein software, or rather afte
I deleted all the remains of logmein in registry after I uninstalled th
software

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated

:cry::cry::cry

--
milanilic

After bootup only Ease of Access and Shut Down buttons visible


Responses to "After bootup only Ease of Access and Shut Down buttons visible"

Max Goldman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: After bootup only Ease of Access and Shut Down buttons visible
Posted: 01-21-2009, 10:19 AM
milanilic <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:
>
>Hi all,
>
>It looks like after I was messing with the registry of my Acer Aspire
>5720 I can't boot up properly :cry:.
>
>After booting up I see the Windows Vista home premium text with Vista's
>blue/green background and only two buttons. On the left is Ease of
>Access and on the right is Shut Down/Restart/Sleep button.
>
>I don't see the task bar, can't call the task manager with ctr-alt-del
>no Start button, no desktop icons.
>
>The safe mode starts fine (I'm writing this while in safe mode with
>networking).
>
>I've tried repair windows option with no luck.
>
>Startup recovery says: Could not detect a problem
>
>System restore says: No restore points have been created
>
>Complete PC restore: No valid backup locations could be found
>
>When I start command prompt it starts ok with x:\windows\system32 if
>not little strange since I don't have an X drive . I've tried
>unsuccesfully to start windows explorer by going to c: and typing
>explorer.exe. I don't know what else I can do with it
>
>This all started after I uninstalled Logmein software, or rather after
>I deleted all the remains of logmein in registry after I uninstalled the
>software.
>
>Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
>
>:cry::cry::cry:
Looks like maybe you shouldn't have been "messing with the registry",
hmm? Something from here might help:

www.geocities.com/windowsfixes/tools.html
milanilic
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: After bootup only Ease of Access and Shut Down buttons visible
Posted: 01-21-2009, 01:20 PM
> Looks like maybe you shouldn't have been "messing with the registry"
> hmm? Something from here might help
>
> 'www.geocities.com/windowsfixes/tools.html
> (http://www.geocities.com/windowsfixes/tools.html
You're a funny man, you are!!! :sarc

Back to the topic :huh:, I've tried ctrl-shift-esc and win-R to try t
get to Task Manager, but no luck

I've also tried 'Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
(http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus%21.htm) to restore the tas
bar, but again no luck

Thanks for looking

--
milanilic
Malke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: After bootup only Ease of Access and Shut Down buttons visible
Posted: 01-21-2009, 01:45 PM
milanilic wrote:
>
>> Looks like maybe you shouldn't have been "messing with the registry",
>> hmm? Something from here might help:
>>
>> 'www.geocities.com/windowsfixes/tools.html'
>> (http://www.geocities.com/windowsfixes/tools.html)
> You're a funny man, you are!!! :sarc:
>
>
> Back to the topic :huh:, I've tried ctrl-shift-esc and win-R to try to
> get to Task Manager, but no luck.
>
> I've also tried 'Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!'
> (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus%21.htm) to restore the task
> bar, but again no luck.
1. Back up your data (if you don't have backups) by booting with a rescue
system such as Knoppix or a Bart's PE. Save the data onto an external hard
drive. This precaution may not be necessary, but better safe than Tears
Before Bedtime.

2. Repair A Vista Installation Using The Upgrade Option Of The Vista DVD -
http://tinyurl.com/3b7yrj (MVP John Barnett)

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

milanilic
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: After bootup only Ease of Access and Shut Down buttons visible
Posted: 01-21-2009, 03:58 PM

An update..

Still looking for a solution :

I've tried deselecting all in msconfig startup, as well as leaving onl
Microsoft services - it didn't help

I've found a suggestion on the web to create a new user account - agai
that didn't help either. When the wallpaper appears with the two abov
mentioned buttons, there are no icons for different users, hence I can'
select the new user account. This is not the case in the safe mode
where I can select and switch users as needed

Getting desperate here ;(.

Any suggestions or idea would be greatly appreciated

--
milanilic
milanilic
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: After bootup only Ease of Access and Shut Down buttons visible
Posted: 01-21-2009, 05:47 PM

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunatelly the laptop came wit
preinstalled Vista Home Premium and I don't have the DVD

Any other suggestions maybe

--
milanili
Posted via http://www.vistaheads.co

Malke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: After bootup only Ease of Access and Shut Down buttons visible
Posted: 01-22-2009, 12:53 AM
milanilic wrote:
>
> Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunatelly the laptop came with
> preinstalled Vista Home Premium and I don't have the DVD.
>
> Any other suggestions maybe?
>
>
Not from me, sorry. If it were mine I'd back up the data and restore it to
factory condition. Maybe someone else will have a more palatable idea for
you.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Curious
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: After bootup only Ease of Access and Shut Down buttons visible
Posted: 01-22-2009, 01:56 AM
If that is the case then if it is from a reputable PC OEM it has a hidden
restore partition which can be used to reinstall the OS and which you were
most likely given the option and may still have the option to copy those
restore files to DVDs.
Reread the documentation the came with your laptop concerning
rebuilding/restoring the OS.

"Malke" <malke@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:eblaJvCfJHA.5844@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> milanilic wrote:
>
>>
>> Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunatelly the laptop came with
>> preinstalled Vista Home Premium and I don't have the DVD.
>>
>> Any other suggestions maybe?
>>
>>
>
> Not from me, sorry. If it were mine I'd back up the data and restore it to
> factory condition. Maybe someone else will have a more palatable idea for
> you.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ
>
milanilic
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: After bootup only Ease of Access and Shut Down buttons visible
Posted: 01-22-2009, 10:35 PM

Still battling this nightmare :

I just can't get the explorer to start when vista boots up. No righ
click, no ctrl-shft-esc, no nothing ;

Don't have a Vista DVD to try to repair using the upgrade, don't hav
my Acer recovery disks. Don't have anything ;

--
milanilic
Malke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: After bootup only Ease of Access and Shut Down buttons visible
Posted: 01-23-2009, 02:47 AM
milanilic wrote:
>
> Still battling this nightmare
>
> I just can't get the explorer to start when vista boots up. No right
> click, no ctrl-shft-esc, no nothing ;(
>
> Don't have a Vista DVD to try to repair using the upgrade, don't have
> my Acer recovery disks. Don't have anything ;(
>
>
Call Acer and order the recovery disks.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ease of Access not working! msk_2004 Windows Vista File Management 5 03-05-2008 09:58 PM
ease of access, high contrast ajn1993 Windows Vista Performance & Maintenance 0 12-28-2007 04:42 AM
Disable Ease of Access Vinson Windows Vista Security 1 12-21-2007 04:35 AM
I need help with Ease of access Black Baptist Windows Vista File Management 4 12-01-2007 05:27 AM
can't log in, Ease of access doesn't work, key pad filter pop up.. Dom Windows Vista Security 2 10-14-2007 03:47 PM