Allow blocked program

Posted: 02-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Hi

I have Vista Ultimate I have installed UPS softare to manage the shout down
of my PC but Windows has blocked it from starting.

When I click on "show blocked programs" the blocked program is shown but
when I highlight it, the option to "Allow" is grayed out.

How do I get Windows to allow the program to run, I have tried setting the
exe file to "Run as administrator" but it did not work.

thanks

Daniel

Allow blocked program


Responses to "Allow blocked program"

Bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Allow blocked program
Posted: 02-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Add the program to firewall exceptions.

"Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:%23CWGaSjaIHA.748@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Hi
>
> I have Vista Ultimate I have installed UPS softare to manage the shout
> down of my PC but Windows has blocked it from starting.
>
> When I click on "show blocked programs" the blocked program is shown but
> when I highlight it, the option to "Allow" is grayed out.
>
> How do I get Windows to allow the program to run, I have tried setting the
> exe file to "Run as administrator" but it did not work.
>
> thanks
>
> Daniel

Daniel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Allow blocked program
Posted: 02-08-2008, 04:57 PM
No. that did not work.
"Bob" <bob@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:BK2dnfX3Ft6f7THanZ2dnUVZ_jqdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Add the program to firewall exceptions.
>
> "Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:%23CWGaSjaIHA.748@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Hi
>>
>> I have Vista Ultimate I have installed UPS softare to manage the shout
>> down of my PC but Windows has blocked it from starting.
>>
>> When I click on "show blocked programs" the blocked program is shown but
>> when I highlight it, the option to "Allow" is grayed out.
>>
>> How do I get Windows to allow the program to run, I have tried setting
>> the exe file to "Run as administrator" but it did not work.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Daniel
>
>

Robinb
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Allow blocked program
Posted: 02-08-2008, 05:29 PM
look in Windows Defender and see if it is not allowing the program in
go to tools/options
robin
"Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:eC92iOnaIHA.6140@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> No. that did not work.
> "Bob" <bob@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:BK2dnfX3Ft6f7THanZ2dnUVZ_jqdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>> Add the program to firewall exceptions.
>>
>> "Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> news:%23CWGaSjaIHA.748@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have Vista Ultimate I have installed UPS softare to manage the shout
>>> down of my PC but Windows has blocked it from starting.
>>>
>>> When I click on "show blocked programs" the blocked program is shown but
>>> when I highlight it, the option to "Allow" is grayed out.
>>>
>>> How do I get Windows to allow the program to run, I have tried setting
>>> the exe file to "Run as administrator" but it did not work.
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> Daniel
>>
>>
>
>

PaulB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Allow blocked program
Posted: 02-09-2008, 12:38 AM
What I do for these type programs is use the task scheduler to run them at
start up with elevated privileges.
--
Paul


"Robinb" wrote:
> look in Windows Defender and see if it is not allowing the program in
> go to tools/options
> robin
> "Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:eC92iOnaIHA.6140@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> > No. that did not work.
> > "Bob" <bob@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > news:BK2dnfX3Ft6f7THanZ2dnUVZ_jqdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> >> Add the program to firewall exceptions.
> >>
> >> "Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> >> news:%23CWGaSjaIHA.748@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> >>> Hi
> >>>
> >>> I have Vista Ultimate I have installed UPS softare to manage the shout
> >>> down of my PC but Windows has blocked it from starting.
> >>>
> >>> When I click on "show blocked programs" the blocked program is shown but
> >>> when I highlight it, the option to "Allow" is grayed out.
> >>>
> >>> How do I get Windows to allow the program to run, I have tried setting
> >>> the exe file to "Run as administrator" but it did not work.
> >>>
> >>> thanks
> >>>
> >>> Daniel
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>
>
>
Bruce Chambers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Allow blocked program
Posted: 02-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Daniel wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have Vista Ultimate I have installed UPS softare to manage the shout
> down of my PC but Windows has blocked it from starting.
>
> When I click on "show blocked programs" the blocked program is shown but
> when I highlight it, the option to "Allow" is grayed out.
>
> How do I get Windows to allow the program to run, I have tried setting
> the exe file to "Run as administrator" but it did not work.
>
> thanks
>
> Daniel

In addition to the other suggestions, you might want to contact the
maker of the UPS to see if they offer a Vista-compatible version of
their software, or have a proven work-around for the product to work
with Vista.


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell

The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Daniel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Allow blocked program
Posted: 02-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks to all, this seems to be the issue, there is a Vista help file on the
site but the download keeps failing.

cheers

Daniel
"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
news:%23sWVZazaIHA.5976@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Daniel wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have Vista Ultimate I have installed UPS softare to manage the shout
>> down of my PC but Windows has blocked it from starting.
>>
>> When I click on "show blocked programs" the blocked program is shown but
>> when I highlight it, the option to "Allow" is grayed out.
>>
>> How do I get Windows to allow the program to run, I have tried setting
>> the exe file to "Run as administrator" but it did not work.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Daniel
>
>
> In addition to the other suggestions, you might want to contact the maker
> of the UPS to see if they offer a Vista-compatible version of their
> software, or have a proven work-around for the product to work with Vista.
>
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375
>
> They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin
>
> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> Russell
>
> The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

C.B.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Allow blocked program
Posted: 02-09-2008, 11:19 PM


"Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:#CWGaSjaIHA.748@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Hi
>
> I have Vista Ultimate I have installed UPS softare to manage the shout
> down of my PC but Windows has blocked it from starting.
>
> When I click on "show blocked programs" the blocked program is shown but
> when I highlight it, the option to "Allow" is grayed out.
>
> How do I get Windows to allow the program to run, I have tried setting the
> exe file to "Run as administrator" but it did not work.
>
> thanks
>
> Daniel
Daniel,

Go to the APC website and download the Vista compatible software. You
must uninstall the original APC software first. You can then download and
install the Vista software. This worked for me.

C.B.



Daniel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Allow blocked program
Posted: 03-03-2008, 07:41 PM
What is the APC software?
"C.B." <notreallycbcbmullen@hotconcretesucksmail.com> wrote in message
news:4B8550B3-7375-4C84-9857-9581F9513076@microsoft.com...
>
>
> "Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:#CWGaSjaIHA.748@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Hi
>>
>> I have Vista Ultimate I have installed UPS softare to manage the shout
>> down of my PC but Windows has blocked it from starting.
>>
>> When I click on "show blocked programs" the blocked program is shown but
>> when I highlight it, the option to "Allow" is grayed out.
>>
>> How do I get Windows to allow the program to run, I have tried setting
>> the exe file to "Run as administrator" but it did not work.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Daniel
>
> Daniel,
>
> Go to the APC website and download the Vista compatible software. You
> must uninstall the original APC software first. You can then download and
> install the Vista software. This worked for me.
>
> C.B.
>
>
>

Brink
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Allow blocked program
Posted: 03-03-2008, 08:46 PM

Daniel;599940 Wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have Vista Ultimate I have installed UPS softare to manage the shout
> down
> of my PC but Windows has blocked it from starting.
>
> When I click on "show blocked programs" the blocked program is shown
> but
> when I highlight it, the option to "Allow" is grayed out.
>
> How do I get Windows to allow the program to run, I have tried setting
> the
> exe file to "Run as administrator" but it did not work.
>
> thanks
>
> Daniel
Hi Daniel,

I would use Task Scheduler to have it run at startup instead. It should
work better for you. See Method Two in OPTION ONE below.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/79...e-disable.html

Shawn


--
Brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
'*Vista x64 Forums*'
(http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows has Blocked Program TAnn Windows Vista Performance & Maintenance 2 11-25-2007 07:37 PM
allow a blocked program to automatically run on start up MARAUDER Windows Vista Security 18 08-18-2007 01:12 AM
A Blocked Program at Start-Up Andrew Garttmeyer Windows Vista Administration 3 07-26-2007 04:58 AM
Blocked Startup Program Benny Windows Vista Security 2 02-23-2007 03:37 PM
Program blocked from access to internet Bill Thomas Windows Vista 2 08-16-2006 09:54 PM