antivirus install problems

Posted: 06-23-2008, 07:27 PM
We are running an old CA program for our antivirus here at school. It is
called inoculateIT. It has performed well for us, so we've never upgraded to
their newer offerings. To install it, you use a remote install program
located on the domain controller. I just bought the first Vista computer to
try out here and upon trying to install this program, it cannot find the
path. When this happened with XP, it was because the Windows firewall was
turned on. I have turned it off in Vista and disabled the firewall service,
but still get the same message. It shows up in the list of computers in the
remote install program's browser just like it does in the active directory
list. I just believe it has something to do with the security in Vista that
is blocking it.

antivirus install problems


Responses to "antivirus install problems"

Mick Murphy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: antivirus install problems
Posted: 06-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Check at CA's site to see if that Program is compatible with Vista.
I doubt it it would be.
Anti-virus companies have had to write new programs that are Vista compatible.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia


"Ed" wrote:
> We are running an old CA program for our antivirus here at school. It is
> called inoculateIT. It has performed well for us, so we've never upgraded to
> their newer offerings. To install it, you use a remote install program
> located on the domain controller. I just bought the first Vista computer to
> try out here and upon trying to install this program, it cannot find the
> path. When this happened with XP, it was because the Windows firewall was
> turned on. I have turned it off in Vista and disabled the firewall service,
> but still get the same message. It shows up in the list of computers in the
> remote install program's browser just like it does in the active directory
> list. I just believe it has something to do with the security in Vista that
> is blocking it.
Ed
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: antivirus install problems
Posted: 06-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks Mick,
That's what I was afraid of. They came out with a patch for Win2k and XP,
but I don't think they support that program anymore.
Ed

"Mick Murphy" wrote:
> Check at CA's site to see if that Program is compatible with Vista.
> I doubt it it would be.
> Anti-virus companies have had to write new programs that are Vista compatible.
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>
>
> "Ed" wrote:
>
> > We are running an old CA program for our antivirus here at school. It is
> > called inoculateIT. It has performed well for us, so we've never upgraded to
> > their newer offerings. To install it, you use a remote install program
> > located on the domain controller. I just bought the first Vista computer to
> > try out here and upon trying to install this program, it cannot find the
> > path. When this happened with XP, it was because the Windows firewall was
> > turned on. I have turned it off in Vista and disabled the firewall service,
> > but still get the same message. It shows up in the list of computers in the
> > remote install program's browser just like it does in the active directory
> > list. I just believe it has something to do with the security in Vista that
> > is blocking it.
Kayman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: antivirus install problems
Posted: 06-23-2008, 11:40 PM
On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:40:00 -0700, Ed wrote:
> Thanks Mick,
> That's what I was afraid of. They came out with a patch for Win2k and XP,
> but I don't think they support that program anymore.
That's correct, support has ceased.

If you prefer CA try this:
1 year FREE trial of CA Anti-Virus (May 2008)
http://home3.ca.com/SubscriptCenter/...n.aspx?cid=573

But *better* alternatives are these:
Avira AntiVir® Personal - FREE Antivirus
http://www.free-av.com/
You may wish to consider removing the 'AntiVir Nagscreen'
http://www.elitekiller.com/files/dis...ntivir_nag.htm
or
Free antivirus - avast! 4 Home Edition
It includes ANTI-SPYWARE protection, certified by the West Coast Labs
Checkmark process, and ANTI-ROOTKIT DETECTION based on the best-in class
GMER technology.
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
(Choose Custom Installation and under Resident
Protection, uncheck: Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange.)
or
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
http://free.grisoft.com/
(Choose custom install and untick the email scanner plugin.)
or
Kaspersky® Anti-Virus 7.0 - Not Free
http://www.kaspersky.com/homeuser
or
ESET NOD32 Antivirus - Not Free
http://www.eset.com/

Why You Don't Need Your Anti-Virus Program to Scan Your E-Mail
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm
Viral Irony: The Most Common Cause of Corruption.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/...orruption.mspx

and (optional but highly recommendable)

On-demand AV applications.
(add them to your arsenal and use them as a "second opinion" av scanner).
David H. Lipman's MULTI_AV Tool
http://www.pctipp.ch/ds/28400/28470/Multi_AV.exe
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
English:
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/...irus-for-free/
Additional Instructions:
http://pcdid.com/Multi_AV.htm
and/or
BitDefender10 Free Edition (*NOT FOR VISTA*)
http://www.bitdefender.com/PRODUCT-1...e-Edition.html
Mick Murphy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: antivirus install problems
Posted: 06-24-2008, 08:08 AM
A lot of anti-viruses have probs with Vista.
The latest AVG 8.0(replaces 7.5, neither of which I use!), requires you to
install a Hotfix patch while you are installing it; otherwise your computer
will slow down, and you will he unable to connect to the Internet!!
That IS the warning you get while you are installing AVG 8!
You have to cancel installation, get the hotifix from MS, recommence
installing AVG!!

Nothing is simple anymore!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia


"Ed" wrote:
> Thanks Mick,
> That's what I was afraid of. They came out with a patch for Win2k and XP,
> but I don't think they support that program anymore.
> Ed
>
> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
> > Check at CA's site to see if that Program is compatible with Vista.
> > I doubt it it would be.
> > Anti-virus companies have had to write new programs that are Vista compatible.
> > --
> > Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
> >
> >
> > "Ed" wrote:
> >
> > > We are running an old CA program for our antivirus here at school. It is
> > > called inoculateIT. It has performed well for us, so we've never upgraded to
> > > their newer offerings. To install it, you use a remote install program
> > > located on the domain controller. I just bought the first Vista computer to
> > > try out here and upon trying to install this program, it cannot find the
> > > path. When this happened with XP, it was because the Windows firewall was
> > > turned on. I have turned it off in Vista and disabled the firewall service,
> > > but still get the same message. It shows up in the list of computers in the
> > > remote install program's browser just like it does in the active directory
> > > list. I just believe it has something to do with the security in Vista that
> > > is blocking it.
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problems installing Antivirus Krishna Gopal Windows Vista Performance & Maintenance 1 11-04-2007 10:38 AM
Symantec Antivirus Corp 10.1 won't install Brandon E. Windows Vista Security 6 06-19-2006 03:28 PM
Symantec Antivirus Corporate 10.1 won't install Brandon E. Windows Vista 6 06-16-2006 08:51 PM
norton antivirus and outlook problems Jim A Windows XP Basics 1 09-25-2003 06:05 AM
I can't install Norton Antivirus ali6236 Windows XP Security & Administration 0 08-06-2003 09:48 AM