Are These Shares Supposed To Be In Computer Management

Posted: 01-23-2009, 12:46 PM

*Shares In Computer Management*
I just purchased a vista home premium 32 bit, running on a hewlar
packard,when I checked to see what shares I might have intaslled alread
on the computer I checked in computer management and these were th
following shares that were in there

share name ...........folder path ....type....
cliertconnections............ descrioptio

adminitrator ............c:\ ..........windows ............
..................remote admini
c ..........................c:\ ..........windows............
..................default shar
d .........................d:\........ windows ............
..................default shar
ipc ......................................windows .............
..................remote ip

I do see that there have never been any connections but from what
gather on this, my c drive has a share , besides the other info that
see.

I never put them there. In fact I dont want any shares on m
computer.The reason I took interest is because I also recently purchase
a windows vista on a gatewa
and when i checked the shares that were in tbat computer it listed IP
only
Can someone tell me if these shares are supposed to be there

The hewlard packard with all the shares mentioned above was set up b
the circuit city friends of firedog. I told them I wanted to purchase m
own computer and intsall my own software. They said they dont do it tha
way and I was stuck because they were offereing a good deal

The other pc , which I installed the software on;the gateway also ha
an IPC share which I am curious about because I never created any share
on that pc either
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

--
GeekGal

Are These Shares Supposed To Be In Computer Management


Responses to "Are These Shares Supposed To Be In Computer Management"

Tom Allen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Are These Shares Supposed To Be In Computer Management
Posted: 01-23-2009, 02:50 PM

"GeekGal" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:c7a74e38bc14fa703d321de24ef96188@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> *Shares In Computer Management*
> I just purchased a vista home premium 32 bit, running on a hewlard
> packard,when I checked to see what shares I might have intaslled
> already
> on the computer I checked in computer management and these were the
> following shares that were in there;
>
> share name ...........folder path ....type.....
> cliertconnections............ descrioption
>
> adminitrator ............c:\ ..........windows ............0
> .................remote adminis
> c ..........................c:\ ..........windows............ 0
> .................default share
> d .........................d:\........ windows ............0
> .................default share
> ipc ......................................windows .............0
> .................remote ipc
>
>
> I do see that there have never been any connections but from what I
> gather on this, my c drive has a share , besides the other info that I
> see.
>
> I never put them there. In fact I dont want any shares on my
> computer.The reason I took interest is because I also recently
> purchased
> a windows vista on a gateway
> and when i checked the shares that were in tbat computer it listed IPC
> only.
> Can someone tell me if these shares are supposed to be there?
>
I have much the same, ADMIN$ rather than administrator plus print$ and
prnproc$, in addition to the shares I created myself.

Tom


+Bob+
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Are These Shares Supposed To Be In Computer Management
Posted: 01-23-2009, 04:52 PM
On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 06:46:30 -0600, GeekGal <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:
>
>*Shares In Computer Management*
>I just purchased a vista home premium 32 bit, running on a hewlard
>packard,when I checked to see what shares I might have intaslled already
>on the computer I checked in computer management and these were the
>following shares that were in there;
>
>share name ...........folder path ....type.....
>cliertconnections............ descrioption
>
>adminitrator ............c:\ ..........windows ............0
>.................remote adminis
>c ..........................c:\ ..........windows............ 0
>.................default share
>d .........................d:\........ windows ............0
>.................default share
>ipc ......................................windows .............0
>.................remote ipc
<snip>
>The other pc , which I installed the software on;the gateway also has
>an IPC share which I am curious about because I never created any shares
>on that pc either.
>Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
I'm not sure how you tried to format that list... but it doesn't work
well....

From what I can decipher, the shares look legit. MS always shares
drives with, for example, a C$ share; the IPC share is used for
default network connections, etc.

You can remove or change the permissions on the shares but you may
disable certain abilities such as remote management, the ability to
connect to this computer for public resources, etc.

Personally, I've always found the fact that the c drive is default
shared to the public one of MS's biggest security goofs. It gives
anyone with network access a known way to hack in the system drive at
the administrator level by guessing a password. Not good.


Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Are These Shares Supposed To Be In Computer Management
Posted: 01-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Hi
Some of the shares are created for internal Admin purposes and are Not
really available for general use because they have special permission
settings.
if the computer comes with pre installed OS configured by the vendor it
could be that some shares are enable by the vendor in order to make the
computer ready for Remote tech. support.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"+Bob+" <nomailplease@example.com> wrote in message
news:hlrjn453hskhmfp91cu4qgma48p7jmbf0t@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 06:46:30 -0600, GeekGal <guest@unknown-email.com>
> wrote:
>
>>
>>*Shares In Computer Management*
>>I just purchased a vista home premium 32 bit, running on a hewlard
>>packard,when I checked to see what shares I might have intaslled already
>>on the computer I checked in computer management and these were the
>>following shares that were in there;
>>
>>share name ...........folder path ....type.....
>>cliertconnections............ descrioption
>>
>>adminitrator ............c:\ ..........windows ............0
>>.................remote adminis
>>c ..........................c:\ ..........windows............ 0
>>.................default share
>>d .........................d:\........ windows ............0
>>.................default share
>>ipc ......................................windows .............0
>>.................remote ipc
>
> <snip>
>
>>The other pc , which I installed the software on;the gateway also has
>>an IPC share which I am curious about because I never created any shares
>>on that pc either.
>>Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
>
> I'm not sure how you tried to format that list... but it doesn't work
> well....
>
> From what I can decipher, the shares look legit. MS always shares
> drives with, for example, a C$ share; the IPC share is used for
> default network connections, etc.
>
> You can remove or change the permissions on the shares but you may
> disable certain abilities such as remote management, the ability to
> connect to this computer for public resources, etc.
>
> Personally, I've always found the fact that the c drive is default
> shared to the public one of MS's biggest security goofs. It gives
> anyone with network access a known way to hack in the system drive at
> the administrator level by guessing a password. Not good.
>
>
GeekGal
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Are These Shares Supposed To Be In Computer Management
Posted: 01-23-2009, 09:14 PM

Thank you very much gentlemen, it is nice to see that you have sort o
the same shares Tom. I don’t share my resources with anyone so
don’t like seeing shares available.
And I agree Bob, I do not like all the capable ways a person can ente
someone else’s computer. Windows XP is a welcome door I feel fo
hackers, it has every possible way to let someone enter your compute
.Windows vista has all of them too but I feel it is more secure.
guess I will find out
One thing I don’t do is mess with things I am not sure about
and therefore i will not change the permissions on the shares
The fact this computer was set up by circuit city tech suppor
validates what you say Jack, but I don’t like anyone having
built in remote access
I looked up their number on line this morning and found out they ar
going out of business, I knew i should have not bought a computer wher
someone else installs the software. Just look at the difference, the on
I set up only has an IPC share, the one circuit city set up has ever
part of my computer accessible to remote access .
Thank you all again, and if you see me asking allot of questions pleas
understand there are things I want to know about my computers

--
GeekGal
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can find computer but not open shares wcalvin Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 3 06-11-2008 09:12 PM
Computer Management --> Storage --> Disk Management Luke Windows Vista Administration 1 11-05-2007 07:59 PM
Computer Management: Can't connect to a remote computer Paul Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 0 05-08-2007 11:17 PM
Computer Management UI lacking to create, delete, or control shares user@domain.invalid Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 3 04-25-2007 12:02 AM
VPN connected computer does see network shares Jeff Windows XP Work Remotely 0 10-02-2003 05:20 AM