Auto log on

Posted: 02-14-2008, 03:36 PM

I was look for an auto log on like I used with XP called Power Toys for XP.
found an auto log on at:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...Autologon.mspx

However when I run it I get the error “Could Not Write DefaultUser name”.

I was using my ID and password, I am the only user and a administrator.

Does this auto log on work only with the Administrator ID? Or is there
another reason it will not install?

Auto log on


Responses to "Auto log on"

Ronnie Vernon MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Auto log on
Posted: 02-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Terry

You don't need to use a utility to accomplish this.

Press WINKEY+R and type: control userpasswords2 and press Enter.

Select the account you want to logon with and remove the checkmark from the
"Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" option.

Click Apply. Enter your password twice. Click OK twice.

Restart the computer and it should go right to your desktop.



--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience


"Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1850D090-9A46-41C7-8315-55FDB4E1C03C@microsoft.com...
>
> I was look for an auto log on like I used with XP called Power Toys for
> XP.
> found an auto log on at:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...Autologon.mspx
>
> However when I run it I get the error “Could Not Write DefaultUser name”.
>
> I was using my ID and password, I am the only user and a administrator.
>
> Does this auto log on work only with the Administrator ID? Or is there
> another reason it will not install?
>
Terry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Auto log on
Posted: 02-14-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks but I cannot find WINKEY, I tried your command from the run command
but nothing happend.

Hope you can tell me where winkey is, thanks


"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
> Terry
>
> You don't need to use a utility to accomplish this.
>
> Press WINKEY+R and type: control userpasswords2 and press Enter.
>
> Select the account you want to logon with and remove the checkmark from the
> "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" option.
>
> Click Apply. Enter your password twice. Click OK twice.
>
> Restart the computer and it should go right to your desktop.
>
>
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
>
> "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:1850D090-9A46-41C7-8315-55FDB4E1C03C@microsoft.com...
> >
> > I was look for an auto log on like I used with XP called Power Toys for
> > XP.
> > found an auto log on at:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...Autologon.mspx
> >
> > However when I run it I get the error “Could Not Write DefaultUser name”.
> >
> > I was using my ID and password, I am the only user and a administrator.
> >
> > Does this auto log on work only with the Administrator ID? Or is there
> > another reason it will not install?
> >
>
Richard G. Harper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Auto log on
Posted: 02-14-2008, 10:03 PM
WINKEY = "The key on the keyboard with the Microsoft Windows logo on it"

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
* NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
* PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
* The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/


"Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:962C853F-C457-4F43-B5CC-2362396EBA0A@microsoft.com...
> Thanks but I cannot find WINKEY, I tried your command from the run command
> but nothing happend.
>
> Hope you can tell me where winkey is, thanks
>
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Terry
>>
>> You don't need to use a utility to accomplish this.
>>
>> Press WINKEY+R and type: control userpasswords2 and press Enter.
>>
>> Select the account you want to logon with and remove the checkmark from
>> the
>> "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" option.
>>
>> Click Apply. Enter your password twice. Click OK twice.
>>
>> Restart the computer and it should go right to your desktop.
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Desktop Experience
>>
>>
>> "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:1850D090-9A46-41C7-8315-55FDB4E1C03C@microsoft.com...
>> >
>> > I was look for an auto log on like I used with XP called Power Toys for
>> > XP.
>> > found an auto log on at:
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...Autologon.mspx
>> >
>> > However when I run it I get the error “Could Not Write DefaultUser
>> > name”.
>> >
>> > I was using my ID and password, I am the only user and a administrator.
>> >
>> > Does this auto log on work only with the Administrator ID? Or is there
>> > another reason it will not install?
>> >
>>
Brink
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Auto log on
Posted: 02-14-2008, 11:05 PM

Terry;612822 Wrote:
> I was look for an auto log on like I used with XP called Power Toys for
> XP.
> found an auto log on at:
> 'Autologon for Windows v2.10'
> (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...Autologon.mspx)
>
> However when I run it I get the error “Could Not Write DefaultUser
> name”.
>
> I was using my ID and password, I am the only user and a administrator.
>
> Does this auto log on work only with the Administrator ID? Or is there
> another reason it will not install?
Hi Terry,

You can see how to set automatic logon at startup for a user account in
Vista here.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66...matically.html

Shawn


--
Brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
'*Vista Forums*'
(http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
rsergio
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Auto log on
Posted: 02-15-2008, 10:22 AM

'Configure autologon using LogonExpert
(http://www.logonexpert.com/learnmore.html) :-

--
rsergio
Terry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Auto log on
Posted: 02-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Good thanks these worked!

"rsergio" wrote:
>
> 'Configure autologon using LogonExpert'
> (http://www.logonexpert.com/learnmore.html) :-)
>
>
> --
> rsergio
>
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
recurring auto shutdown and auto startup Roslan B Taib Windows XP Photos 1 12-13-2003 09:47 AM
Auto Log off Marc Windows XP Help & Support 1 11-05-2003 02:06 AM
No auto run on DVD Rom Jay O Windows XP Help & Support 1 10-18-2003 06:44 PM
auto run cabmanage Windows XP New Users 1 07-08-2003 01:38 PM
XP auto log in vik Windows XP Security & Administration 0 07-02-2003 05:04 PM