Backup of EFS Recovery Certificate in Digital Locker

Posted: 02-28-2008, 02:10 AM
Hello,

I am using Windows Vista Ultimate (x64) and have encrypted some files using
Vista. I have made a backup copy of the encryption key certificate on a USB
drive using Certificate Manager, but I would also like to take advantage of
the Online Backup option provided within Vista (Control
Panel=>Security=>Secure Online Key Backup=>Save your EFS recovery
certificate). However, when I enter my Windows Live ID and password, I
receive an error back saying "Digital Locker is not available." I have been
getting this error for over a day now even though I have no trouble
connecting to the internet.

Please help.

Thanks.

Nav

Backup of EFS Recovery Certificate in Digital Locker


Responses to "Backup of EFS Recovery Certificate in Digital Locker"

Allan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Backup of EFS Recovery Certificate in Digital Locker
Posted: 03-01-2008, 12:27 AM

"Nav" <Nav@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:99FA9117-FB36-4AE6-AE3A-30641BC89006@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
>
> I am using Windows Vista Ultimate (x64) and have encrypted some files
> using
> Vista. I have made a backup copy of the encryption key certificate on a
> USB
> drive using Certificate Manager, but I would also like to take advantage
> of
> the Online Backup option provided within Vista (Control
> Panel=>Security=>Secure Online Key Backup=>Save your EFS recovery
> certificate). However, when I enter my Windows Live ID and password, I
> receive an error back saying "Digital Locker is not available." I have
> been
> getting this error for over a day now even though I have no trouble
> connecting to the internet.
>
> Please help.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Nav
I don't know why that feature is not working but you can temporarily work
around this by creating a Personal folder called "Certificates" or something
similar. You can then upload your exported certificates manually to your
online folder. You have to login to Windows Live ID Spaces to do all of
this. You may also create a Public folder if you want to publish your
certificate (without the secret part, of course) on the Internet.

--
Allan

Allan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Backup of EFS Recovery Certificate in Digital Locker
Posted: 03-01-2008, 07:49 PM

"Nav" <Nav@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:99FA9117-FB36-4AE6-AE3A-30641BC89006@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
>
> I am using Windows Vista Ultimate (x64) and have encrypted some files
> using
> Vista. I have made a backup copy of the encryption key certificate on a
> USB
> drive using Certificate Manager, but I would also like to take advantage
> of
> the Online Backup option provided within Vista (Control
> Panel=>Security=>Secure Online Key Backup=>Save your EFS recovery
> certificate). However, when I enter my Windows Live ID and password, I
> receive an error back saying "Digital Locker is not available." I have
> been
> getting this error for over a day now even though I have no trouble
> connecting to the internet.
>
> Please help.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Nav
Just to clarify, I suggest you workaround this problem by using Spaces
SkyDrive and creating a sub-folder in your personal Documents folder called
"Certificates" or whatever. There is an optional ActiveX control which
allows drag and drop from the desktop called the "Windows Live SkyDrive
Upload Tool" that may make it easier for you. I prefer the standard upload
interface myself.

--
Allan

Tomas
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: Backup of EFS Recovery Certificate in Digital Locker
Posted: 03-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Hi,
I have the same problem. I tried to solve it with Microsoft support as I
have the 90 days free support. They tried to blame other software and
recomended to uninstall Norton antivirus. Today I backuped whole system,
formated discs, installed only Windows Ultimate and tried the feature. The
problem is still present.
Sorry I am not helpful. I just want to prevent others from spending many
hours by testing unusefull suggestions from support.
Tomas

"Nav" wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using Windows Vista Ultimate (x64) and have encrypted some files using
> Vista. I have made a backup copy of the encryption key certificate on a USB
> drive using Certificate Manager, but I would also like to take advantage of
> the Online Backup option provided within Vista (Control
> Panel=>Security=>Secure Online Key Backup=>Save your EFS recovery
> certificate). However, when I enter my Windows Live ID and password, I
> receive an error back saying "Digital Locker is not available." I have been
> getting this error for over a day now even though I have no trouble
> connecting to the internet.
>
> Please help.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Nav
Allan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Backup of EFS Recovery Certificate in Digital Locker
Posted: 03-06-2008, 03:13 AM

"Tomas" <Tomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BB935E92-F0D3-4B2D-AC34-1B045CE79B7E@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> I have the same problem. I tried to solve it with Microsoft support as I
> have the 90 days free support. They tried to blame other software and
> recomended to uninstall Norton antivirus. Today I backuped whole system,
> formated discs, installed only Windows Ultimate and tried the feature. The
> problem is still present.
> Sorry I am not helpful. I just want to prevent others from spending many
> hours by testing unusefull suggestions from support.
> Tomas
Hello Tomas,
I hope you have done what the OP said he already did which is backup to
a removable media such as USB flash drive or to a floppy disk. Make sure you
have more than one copy of your backup in case of media failure which is a
common problem. I wonder if the problem is limited to Vista Ultimate x64 or
if it has been reported on other versions.

--
Allan

LennyP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Backup of EFS Recovery Certificate in Digital Locker
Posted: 05-14-2008, 05:56 PM


"Allan" wrote:
>
> "Tomas" <Tomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:BB935E92-F0D3-4B2D-AC34-1B045CE79B7E@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> > I have the same problem. I tried to solve it with Microsoft support as I
> > have the 90 days free support. They tried to blame other software and
> > recomended to uninstall Norton antivirus. Today I backuped whole system,
> > formated discs, installed only Windows Ultimate and tried the feature. The
> > problem is still present.
> > Sorry I am not helpful. I just want to prevent others from spending many
> > hours by testing unusefull suggestions from support.
> > Tomas
> Hello Tomas,
> I hope you have done what the OP said he already did which is backup to
> a removable media such as USB flash drive or to a floppy disk. Make sure you
> have more than one copy of your backup in case of media failure which is a
> common problem. I wonder if the problem is limited to Vista Ultimate x64 or
> if it has been reported on other versions.
>
> --
> Allan
>
> I have the 32 bit version of vista ultimate and have been having the same problem for many months.
LennyP
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unable to install encryption cipher recovery certificate garfield19 Windows Vista Security 3 12-31-2007 11:27 AM
Digital Signature/Certificate error ProtoExus Windows Vista Security 1 12-07-2007 06:42 AM
EFS - Backup Certificate & Keys??? John Gallagher Windows Vista Security 3 08-28-2007 10:18 AM
PGP Keys For Software Digital Certificate Usama El-Mokadem Windows Vista Security 1 12-12-2006 05:18 PM
Uninstall digital certificate Evelyn Moron Windows XP Help & Support 0 10-16-2003 04:18 PM