Real Geek Forums

Real Geek Forums (http://www.realgeek.com/forums/index.php)
-   Windows Vista Security (http://www.realgeek.com/forums/windows-vista-security-19/)
-   -   Backup strategies?? (http://www.realgeek.com/forums/backup-strategies-429276.html)

Neil Jones 11-20-2008 01:01 AM

Backup strategies??
 
I have a 500GB backup disk to which I did a complete backup of my system
about 3 times now. Although I am not really running out of space, I
would like to keep the maximum number of backups to 3 or 4 with the
oldest being the most reliable backup.

How do I implement such backup procedure without using additional disk
space?

Thank you in advance for any help.

NJ

Andre Da Costa 11-20-2008 01:46 AM

Re: Backup strategies??
 
That's the default behavior, unless you choose to changes your computer name
every time you do a Complete PC Backup, you would be able to have multiple
Complete PC Backups of your computer.
--
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa
http://adacosta.spaces.live.com

"Neil Jones" <castellan2004-nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:GF2Vk.22495$VN1.8781@newsfe02.iad...
Quote:

> I have a 500GB backup disk to which I did a complete backup of my system
> about 3 times now. Although I am not really running out of space, I
> would like to keep the maximum number of backups to 3 or 4 with the
> oldest being the most reliable backup.
>
> How do I implement such backup procedure without using additional disk
> space?
>
> Thank you in advance for any help.
>
> NJ

FromTheRafters 11-20-2008 01:55 AM

Re: Backup strategies??
 

"Neil Jones" <castellan2004-nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:GF2Vk.22495$VN1.8781@newsfe02.iad...
Quote:

>I have a 500GB backup disk to which I did a complete backup of my system
> about 3 times now. Although I am not really running out of space, I
> would like to keep the maximum number of backups to 3 or 4 with the
> oldest being the most reliable backup.
>
> How do I implement such backup procedure without using additional disk
> space?
You don't. Each separate complete backup will require additional disk space.

Why not delete the first after you create the fifth - keeping four at all
times.



Neil Jones 11-20-2008 02:19 AM

Re: Backup strategies??
 
FromTheRafters wrote:
Quote:

> "Neil Jones" <castellan2004-nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:GF2Vk.22495$VN1.8781@newsfe02.iad...
Quote:

>> I have a 500GB backup disk to which I did a complete backup of my system
>> about 3 times now. Although I am not really running out of space, I
>> would like to keep the maximum number of backups to 3 or 4 with the
>> oldest being the most reliable backup.
>>
>> How do I implement such backup procedure without using additional disk
>> space?
>
> You don't. Each separate complete backup will require additional disk space.
>
> Why not delete the first after you create the fifth - keeping four at all
> times.
>
>
How do you remove the first backup? That is what I am missing. When I
do a disk cleanup, all the backups are being deleted.

PS - The backup disk is an external disk and does not list all the
backups during the disk cleanup process.

Thank you again.

NJ

Richie Hardwick 11-20-2008 02:42 AM

Re: Backup strategies??
 
Neil Jones <castellan2004-nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com> wrote:

Quote:

>How do you remove the first backup? That is what I am missing. When I
>do a disk cleanup, all the backups are being deleted.
>
>PS - The backup disk is an external disk and does not list all the
>backups during the disk cleanup process.
If you don't want the entire drive to have backups, then partition it.

Using Vista's backup (which I think is a crappy backup solution), the
oldest will be deleted to make room for the new one.

If I am wrong, we both shall surely hear about it instantly.

Richie Hardwick

Andre Da Costa 11-20-2008 02:45 AM

Re: Backup strategies??
 
Vista's Complete PC Backup automatically does the removal of the oldest
backups.
--
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa
http://adacosta.spaces.live.com

"Neil Jones" <castellan2004-nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ZO3Vk.21884$9Z6.13701@newsfe01.iad...
Quote:

> FromTheRafters wrote:
Quote:

>> "Neil Jones" <castellan2004-nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com> wrote in
>> message
>> news:GF2Vk.22495$VN1.8781@newsfe02.iad...
Quote:

>>> I have a 500GB backup disk to which I did a complete backup of my system
>>> about 3 times now. Although I am not really running out of space, I
>>> would like to keep the maximum number of backups to 3 or 4 with the
>>> oldest being the most reliable backup.
>>>
>>> How do I implement such backup procedure without using additional disk
>>> space?
>>
>> You don't. Each separate complete backup will require additional disk
>> space.
>>
>> Why not delete the first after you create the fifth - keeping four at all
>> times.
>>
>>
>
> How do you remove the first backup? That is what I am missing. When I
> do a disk cleanup, all the backups are being deleted.
>
> PS - The backup disk is an external disk and does not list all the
> backups during the disk cleanup process.
>
> Thank you again.
>
> NJ

Neil Jones 11-20-2008 03:31 AM

Re: Backup strategies??
 
Richie Hardwick wrote:
Quote:

> Neil Jones <castellan2004-nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>
Quote:

>> How do you remove the first backup? That is what I am missing. When I
>> do a disk cleanup, all the backups are being deleted.
>>
>> PS - The backup disk is an external disk and does not list all the
>> backups during the disk cleanup process.
>
> If you don't want the entire drive to have backups, then partition it.
>
> Using Vista's backup (which I think is a crappy backup solution), the
> oldest will be deleted to make room for the new one.
>
> If I am wrong, we both shall surely hear about it instantly.
>
The Vista backup software seems to be ok. What other backup software is
there to create a complete backup of the system?

NJ

Neil Jones 11-20-2008 03:33 AM

Re: Backup strategies??
 
Andre Da Costa wrote:
Quote:

> Vista's Complete PC Backup automatically does the removal of the oldest
> backups.
Thank you for clarifying this. It makes sense now, why I could only see
one image when I was trying to restore the system.

NJ

Leythos 11-20-2008 03:43 AM

Re: Backup strategies??
 
In article <GF2Vk.22495$VN1.8781@newsfe02.iad>, castellan2004-
nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com says...
Quote:

> I have a 500GB backup disk to which I did a complete backup of my system
> about 3 times now. Although I am not really running out of space, I
> would like to keep the maximum number of backups to 3 or 4 with the
> oldest being the most reliable backup.
>
> How do I implement such backup procedure without using additional disk
> space?
>
> Thank you in advance for any help.
Create 3 separate backup jobs, each one should be set to OVERWRITE the
file name it creates.

So,

BU Job 1 writes to MONDAY.BKF
BU Job 2 writes to WEDNESDAY.BKF
BU Job 3 writes to FRIDAY.BKF

Since you set the jobs to overwrite, they will only maintain 3 jobs.

--
- Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
- Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

Richie Hardwick 11-20-2008 04:59 AM

Re: Backup strategies??
 
Neil Jones <castellan2004-nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com> wrote:
Quote:

>Richie Hardwick wrote:
Quote:

>> Neil Jones <castellan2004-nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>
Quote:

>>> How do you remove the first backup? That is what I am missing. When I
>>> do a disk cleanup, all the backups are being deleted.
>>>
>>> PS - The backup disk is an external disk and does not list all the
>>> backups during the disk cleanup process.
>>
>> If you don't want the entire drive to have backups, then partition it.
>>
>> Using Vista's backup (which I think is a crappy backup solution), the
>> oldest will be deleted to make room for the new one.
>>
>> If I am wrong, we both shall surely hear about it instantly.
>>
>
>The Vista backup software seems to be ok. What other backup software is
>there to create a complete backup of the system?
Acronis True Image is the most mentioned product. I've used it for
years, now.


Richie Hardwick


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2007 RealGeek.com. All rights reserved.