Bootable USB Device

Posted: 03-21-2005, 09:48 AM
Hi

How can I make my USB storage bootable, so I can boot up Windows XP in DOS
mode. Such as with a bootable floppy in the old days.

regards
Morten


Bootable USB Device


Responses to "Bootable USB Device"

dandi360
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: Bootable USB Device
Posted: 03-21-2005, 09:59 AM


"mha" wrote:
> Hi
>
> How can I make my USB storage bootable, so I can boot up Windows XP in DOS
> mode. Such as with a bootable floppy in the old days.
>
> regards
> Morten
>
>
> I found this excerpt on another site:
"The USB must have a boot sector, so copying files to it is not enough and
regular format/image tools simply do it incorrectly and give it jacked up
boot sectors. The HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool is the only thing I've come
across that works on every USB every time (not just HP stuff, everything,
even my canon camera).
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html"

I haven't tested it yet but it sounds convincing!
Lee Chapelle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Bootable USB Device
Posted: 03-21-2005, 10:03 AM

"mha" <na@na.na> wrote
> Hi
>
> How can I make my USB storage bootable, so I can boot up Windows XP in DOS
> mode. Such as with a bootable floppy in the old days.
>
> regards
> Morten
From a Windows 9x machine or virtual session you can run the sys command on
it.


mha
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Bootable USB Device
Posted: 03-21-2005, 10:24 AM
Nice, but it is asking for the DOS system files location?


"dandi360" <dandi360@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3E17370B-1944-48F1-978D-7AB02583ADAD@microsoft.com...
>
>
> "mha" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> How can I make my USB storage bootable, so I can boot up Windows XP in
>> DOS
>> mode. Such as with a bootable floppy in the old days.
>>
>> regards
>> Morten
>>
>>
>> I found this excerpt on another site:
>
> "The USB must have a boot sector, so copying files to it is not enough and
> regular format/image tools simply do it incorrectly and give it jacked up
> boot sectors. The HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool is the only thing I've
> come
> across that works on every USB every time (not just HP stuff, everything,
> even my canon camera).
> http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html"
>
> I haven't tested it yet but it sounds convincing!

Geoffw
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Bootable USB Device
Posted: 03-21-2005, 10:48 AM
win98 boot disk ?

"mha" <na@na.na> wrote in message
news:OFc1fAgLFHA.2648@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Nice, but it is asking for the DOS system files location?
>
>
> "dandi360" <dandi360@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> news:3E17370B-1944-48F1-978D-7AB02583ADAD@microsoft.com...
> >
> >
> > "mha" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> How can I make my USB storage bootable, so I can boot
up Windows XP in
> >> DOS
> >> mode. Such as with a bootable floppy in the old days.
> >>
> >> regards
> >> Morten
> >>
> >>
> >> I found this excerpt on another site:
> >
> > "The USB must have a boot sector, so copying files to it
is not enough and
> > regular format/image tools simply do it incorrectly and
give it jacked up
> > boot sectors. The HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool is the
only thing I've
> > come
> > across that works on every USB every time (not just HP
stuff, everything,
> > even my canon camera).
> >
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html"
> >
> > I haven't tested it yet but it sounds convincing!
>
>

mha
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Bootable USB Device
Posted: 03-21-2005, 10:51 AM
I am running the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool from my Windows XP, and I
get the following message when I want to create a DOS startup disk :
"Missing location of DOS system files. DOS system files need to be provided
to make the specified device DOS-bootable"

"Geoffw" <gwinnetSPAM@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
news:elpZ9KgLFHA.2748@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> win98 boot disk ?
>
> "mha" <na@na.na> wrote in message
> news:OFc1fAgLFHA.2648@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Nice, but it is asking for the DOS system files location?
>>
>>
>> "dandi360" <dandi360@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
>> news:3E17370B-1944-48F1-978D-7AB02583ADAD@microsoft.com...
>> >
>> >
>> > "mha" wrote:
>> >
>> >> Hi
>> >>
>> >> How can I make my USB storage bootable, so I can boot
> up Windows XP in
>> >> DOS
>> >> mode. Such as with a bootable floppy in the old days.
>> >>
>> >> regards
>> >> Morten
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> I found this excerpt on another site:
>> >
>> > "The USB must have a boot sector, so copying files to it
> is not enough and
>> > regular format/image tools simply do it incorrectly and
> give it jacked up
>> > boot sectors. The HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool is the
> only thing I've
>> > come
>> > across that works on every USB every time (not just HP
> stuff, everything,
>> > even my canon camera).
>> >
> http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html"
>> >
>> > I haven't tested it yet but it sounds convincing!
>>
>>
>
>

Richard Urban
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Bootable USB Device
Posted: 03-21-2005, 11:04 AM
You can't as Windows XP doesn't have any DOS mode. You "can" boot up from a
genuine Windows XP CD and go to the repair console, which will allow you to
do a limited amount of maneuvers.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!


"mha" <na@na.na> wrote in message
news:uLGJmsfLFHA.2648@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi
>
> How can I make my USB storage bootable, so I can boot up Windows XP in DOS
> mode. Such as with a bootable floppy in the old days.
>
> regards
> Morten
>

Geoffw
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Bootable USB Device
Posted: 03-21-2005, 11:11 AM
get them off a win98 boot disk

"mha" <na@na.na> wrote in message
news:u9UoVQgLFHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I am running the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool from my
Windows XP, and I
> get the following message when I want to create a DOS
startup disk :
> "Missing location of DOS system files. DOS system files
need to be provided
> to make the specified device DOS-bootable"
>
> "Geoffw" <gwinnetSPAM@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:elpZ9KgLFHA.2748@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > win98 boot disk ?
> >
> > "mha" <na@na.na> wrote in message
> > news:OFc1fAgLFHA.2648@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> >> Nice, but it is asking for the DOS system files
location?
> >>
> >>
> >> "dandi360" <dandi360@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in
> > message
> >>
news:3E17370B-1944-48F1-978D-7AB02583ADAD@microsoft.com...
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > "mha" wrote:
> >> >
> >> >> Hi
> >> >>
> >> >> How can I make my USB storage bootable, so I can
boot
> > up Windows XP in
> >> >> DOS
> >> >> mode. Such as with a bootable floppy in the old
days.
> >> >>
> >> >> regards
> >> >> Morten
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >> I found this excerpt on another site:
> >> >
> >> > "The USB must have a boot sector, so copying files to
it
> > is not enough and
> >> > regular format/image tools simply do it incorrectly
and
> > give it jacked up
> >> > boot sectors. The HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool is
the
> > only thing I've
> >> > come
> >> > across that works on every USB every time (not just
HP
> > stuff, everything,
> >> > even my canon camera).
> >> >
> >
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html"
> >> >
> >> > I haven't tested it yet but it sounds convincing!
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>
>

george
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Bootable USB Device
Posted: 03-21-2005, 11:23 AM
If you have a floppy drive, get a diskette and format it in XP Explorer and
don't forget to check "Create an MS-DOS startup diskette".
Now when running the HP format utility point it to this floppy for MS-DOS
files.
Works a treat.
Just tried it.

george


"mha" <na@na.na> wrote in message
news:u9UoVQgLFHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I am running the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool from my Windows XP, and I
>get the following message when I want to create a DOS startup disk :
>"Missing location of DOS system files. DOS system files need to be provided
>to make the specified device DOS-bootable"
>
> "Geoffw" <gwinnetSPAM@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:elpZ9KgLFHA.2748@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> win98 boot disk ?
>>
>> "mha" <na@na.na> wrote in message
>> news:OFc1fAgLFHA.2648@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>> Nice, but it is asking for the DOS system files location?
>>>
>>>
>>> "dandi360" <dandi360@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>>> news:3E17370B-1944-48F1-978D-7AB02583ADAD@microsoft.com...
>>> >
>>> >
>>> > "mha" wrote:
>>> >
>>> >> Hi
>>> >>
>>> >> How can I make my USB storage bootable, so I can boot
>> up Windows XP in
>>> >> DOS
>>> >> mode. Such as with a bootable floppy in the old days.
>>> >>
>>> >> regards
>>> >> Morten
>>> >>
>>> >>
>>> >> I found this excerpt on another site:
>>> >
>>> > "The USB must have a boot sector, so copying files to it
>> is not enough and
>>> > regular format/image tools simply do it incorrectly and
>> give it jacked up
>>> > boot sectors. The HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool is the
>> only thing I've
>>> > come
>>> > across that works on every USB every time (not just HP
>> stuff, everything,
>>> > even my canon camera).
>>> >
>> http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html"
>>> >
>>> > I haven't tested it yet but it sounds convincing!
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>


Opinicus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Bootable USB Device
Posted: 03-21-2005, 12:02 PM
"george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> If you have a floppy drive, get a diskette and format it
> in XP Explorer and don't forget to check "Create an MS-DOS
> startup diskette".
> Now when running the HP format utility point it to this
> floppy for MS-DOS files.
> Works a treat.
> Just tried it.
Will this method allow you to access a hard disk that's
formatted NTFS after you've booted from the USB device?

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help! How to convert bootable diskette image and bootable CD image to bootable flash/usb stick? cfman Windows XP Configuration & Management 4 07-20-2006 05:35 AM
Device manager Unknown Device & PCI Device (yellow warning) Alora Duncan Windows XP Hardware 1 02-02-2004 05:52 PM
1394 device not identified after updates- "61338 Device Class- Unknown Device" error. NP Windows XP Hardware 0 01-04-2004 03:01 AM
sound card as a bootable device anthony Windows XP Music 1 08-01-2003 12:56 PM