Can I reboot Windows without POST

Posted: 01-18-2009, 04:52 AM
There was a way in an older version of Windows where I could reboot without
having to wait for the machine to go through a power-on self test. It was a
simple shortcut like holding down a key while rebooting. Is there a
function like that in Vista or is there a command I can run in a shortcut to
do the same thing?

Can I reboot Windows without POST


Responses to "Can I reboot Windows without POST"

Mike Torello
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Can I reboot Windows without POST
Posted: 01-18-2009, 06:03 AM
On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 23:52:22 -0500, "Andy" <andy@bonanno.com> wrote:
>There was a way in an older version of Windows where I could reboot without
>having to wait for the machine to go through a power-on self test. It was a
>simple shortcut like holding down a key while rebooting. Is there a
>function like that in Vista or is there a command I can run in a shortcut to
>do the same thing?
I'd say your memory is faulty.

The POST is hardware controlled, so Windows has absolutely NOTHING to
do with it. Perhaps your older computer had that ability - the only
one I know of bypassed the memory test, nothing else.
Sinner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Can I reboot Windows without POST
Posted: 01-18-2009, 09:03 AM

"Mike Torello" <torellom@chicoplt.com> wrote in message
news:bhh5n413h9ufedm9j42mtlhhj7cktq87eu@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 23:52:22 -0500, "Andy" <andy@bonanno.com> wrote:
>
>>There was a way in an older version of Windows where I could reboot
>>without
>>having to wait for the machine to go through a power-on self test. It was
>>a
>>simple shortcut like holding down a key while rebooting. Is there a
>>function like that in Vista or is there a command I can run in a shortcut
>>to
>>do the same thing?
>
> I'd say your memory is faulty.
>
> The POST is hardware controlled, so Windows has absolutely NOTHING to
> do with it. Perhaps your older computer had that ability - the only
> one I know of bypassed the memory test, nothing else.
Some BIOS will let you put up a graphic that hides the POST, but POST still
runs.


RickNCN
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Can I reboot Windows without POST
Posted: 01-18-2009, 01:12 PM

Your memory is not faulty. There WAS a way to do exactly that. I thin
you held down the SHIFT key while clicking on restart in Windows. Wa
that only 3.1 or did 95 and 98 do that? I think they did. I called it
'soft' boot. It brought Windows all the way down and restarted it
clearing the memory and all the programs but did not do a BIOS restart
So - you didn't have to wait for the extra time in detecting memory an
devices during POST. It was a real time saver and was very helpful. T
answer your question, I don't know. I have just forgotten about tha
feature since XP. I'll take a look around and see what I can find..

--
RickNC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
RickNCN's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/rickncn.ht
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/1105363.ht

http://forums.techarena.i

Andy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Can I reboot Windows without POST
Posted: 01-18-2009, 01:44 PM
I knew there would be those responses from people who didn't know about the
feature. I don't need to reboot the computer when windows burps. I only
need to reboot windows.

I know that I can restart explorer, but that doesn't completely restart
windows. Restarting explorer won't reload my start-up programs that failed
or crashed. There's no reason to completely restart all the hardware for a
software malfunction.

From my research, the soft reboot (or warm reboot) is what happens when you
click restart. A hard reboot (or cold reboot) happens when you physically
reboot the machine with the power button or reset button. A quick reboot is
something in the BIOS. I can't figure out a proper name for what I want to
find. Give me some ideas to google and I'll continue looking for it.

Rick Rogers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Can I reboot Windows without POST
Posted: 01-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Hi Andy,

The soft reset correctly recalled by RickNCN was a feature of the Win9x
line, it doesn't work (and never has) in the WinNT line, which includes XP
and Vista. NT-based systems only allow for a complete restart.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"Andy" <andy@bonanno.com> wrote in message
news:77D11D28-FA8C-4EC1-9CBA-3733188A18F6@microsoft.com...
>I knew there would be those responses from people who didn't know about the
>feature. I don't need to reboot the computer when windows burps. I only
>need to reboot windows.
>
> I know that I can restart explorer, but that doesn't completely restart
> windows. Restarting explorer won't reload my start-up programs that
> failed or crashed. There's no reason to completely restart all the
> hardware for a software malfunction.
>
> From my research, the soft reboot (or warm reboot) is what happens when
> you click restart. A hard reboot (or cold reboot) happens when you
> physically reboot the machine with the power button or reset button. A
> quick reboot is something in the BIOS. I can't figure out a proper name
> for what I want to find. Give me some ideas to google and I'll continue
> looking for it.
Dominic Payer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Can I reboot Windows without POST
Posted: 01-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Logging out and logging back in may be what you need. This will restart your
user session, including a reload of your startup programs, without the need
to to restart Windows


"Andy" <andy@bonanno.com> wrote in message
news:77D11D28-FA8C-4EC1-9CBA-3733188A18F6@microsoft.com...
>I knew there would be those responses from people who didn't know about the
>feature. I don't need to reboot the computer when windows burps. I only
>need to reboot windows.
>
> I know that I can restart explorer, but that doesn't completely restart
> windows. Restarting explorer won't reload my start-up programs that
> failed or crashed. There's no reason to completely restart all the
> hardware for a software malfunction.
>
> From my research, the soft reboot (or warm reboot) is what happens when
> you click restart. A hard reboot (or cold reboot) happens when you
> physically reboot the machine with the power button or reset button. A
> quick reboot is something in the BIOS. I can't figure out a proper name
> for what I want to find. Give me some ideas to google and I'll continue
> looking for it.
Ian D
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Can I reboot Windows without POST
Posted: 01-18-2009, 04:54 PM

"Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:OGWTDUXeJHA.5344@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Hi Andy,
>
> The soft reset correctly recalled by RickNCN was a feature of the Win9x
> line, it doesn't work (and never has) in the WinNT line, which includes XP
> and Vista. NT-based systems only allow for a complete restart.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>
That's because Win9x ran on DOS. Windows could exit
to DOS then restart. There was also an option to restart
into DOS. When you were finished working in DOS, the
win command would start Windows. The Win9x version
of MS-DOS was DOS 7.xx.


Bob Campbell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Can I reboot Windows without POST
Posted: 01-18-2009, 05:07 PM
"Ian D" <taurus@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:%23kBSg1YeJHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> That's because Win9x ran on DOS. Windows could exit
> to DOS then restart. There was also an option to restart
> into DOS. When you were finished working in DOS, the
> win command would start Windows. The Win9x version
> of MS-DOS was DOS 7.xx.
I think you have nailed it. There is no way to "reboot Windows" these days
without "rebooting the computer". It is the same thing. The best you can
do is go into your BIOS settings and disable the POST to speed it up.

Andy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Can I reboot Windows without POST
Posted: 01-18-2009, 05:25 PM
That is perfect. That is exactly what I needed to do. Now, is there a
shortcut that I can put on the QuickTask bar to automate the process in
minimal clicks? In other words, a shortcut that will log me off and back on
again with the same user ID or a simple click to log off without going
through the start menu.


"Dominic Payer" <dcp@dcp.fsv.co.uk> wrote in message
news:OajlzsYeJHA.5420@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Logging out and logging back in may be what you need. This will restart
> your user session, including a reload of your startup programs, without
> the need to to restart Windows
>
>

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Solution to post of 12/11/2007 File and printer sharing uninstalls after reboot Fred Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 4 01-10-2008 05:19 PM
Problem Sharing Printer - Windows 98 and Windows XP Professional SP2 (cross post) klytu Windows XP Printers / Scanners / Fax 3 02-18-2006 02:36 PM
Stop 7B post-FBA reboot KM Windows XP Embedded 4 04-15-2005 10:08 PM
By pass Windows Log on post Richard Customize Windows XP 1 05-29-2004 04:51 PM
Post reboot blues Murray Windows XP Performance & Maintenance 0 11-07-2003 01:30 AM