Can Vista search for multiple items?

Posted: 06-21-2006, 01:24 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew if it were possible to search for more than
one things such as extensions or keyword?

All I can find in Vista is the ability to refine your search further with
the advanced filters, but I can't find a way to view a selection of documents
like in the screenshots of the earlier Vista builds, i.e. An All Documents
Virtual Folder.
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/windowsvis...e/default.aspx)

Examples: *.docx & *.ppt files or perhaps documents that include content on
biology & biochemisty.

Is it possible to do such a thing or has microsoft overlooked such a simple
thing?

Thanks

Can Vista search for multiple items?


Responses to "Can Vista search for multiple items?"

Grant
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: Can Vista search for multiple items?
Posted: 06-21-2006, 01:48 AM
I just noticed there is a way through the advanced filter but that would take
forever if you wanted to perform a quick search for extensions... Is there a
way to search for them in the search box, like where the previous windows
operating systems seperated search terms by a semi-colon?
Chris Altmann
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Can Vista search for multiple items?
Posted: 06-21-2006, 07:11 AM
You can use OR, AND, NOT between search terms in the search box (they must
be in capital letters).

"Grant" <Grant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:438CA328-4C3C-403D-9C1A-2F9AFE1B10FC@microsoft.com...
>I just noticed there is a way through the advanced filter but that would
>take
> forever if you wanted to perform a quick search for extensions... Is there
> a
> way to search for them in the search box, like where the previous windows
> operating systems seperated search terms by a semi-colon?
Rasmus Bertelsen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Can Vista search for multiple items?
Posted: 06-21-2006, 11:55 AM

"Chris Altmann" <altmann@surewest.net> wrote in message
news:EF5CD210-8FEB-426A-ABC8-80D7C4201961@microsoft.com...
> You can use OR, AND, NOT between search terms in the search box (they must
> be in capital letters).
>
Well, i can search for *.exe and *.txt separately and then the search
function finds it.
But if i type *.exe AND *.txt it finds nothing.

Regards,
Rasmus Bertelsen

David J. Craig
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Can Vista search for multiple items?
Posted: 06-21-2006, 03:51 PM
It it working just fine. How many files have two ending extensions? None
is the correct answer. You want OR. Take a computers 101 course at your
local college or university.

"Rasmus Bertelsen" <rasbert@nowhere.dk> wrote in message
news:B5C65393-8136-4F5C-83C4-9DBD77ECBFB5@microsoft.com...
>
> "Chris Altmann" <altmann@surewest.net> wrote in message
> news:EF5CD210-8FEB-426A-ABC8-80D7C4201961@microsoft.com...
>> You can use OR, AND, NOT between search terms in the search box (they
>> must be in capital letters).
>>
> Well, i can search for *.exe and *.txt separately and then the search
> function finds it.
> But if i type *.exe AND *.txt it finds nothing.
>
> Regards,
> Rasmus Bertelsen

Grant
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Can Vista search for multiple items?
Posted: 06-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Thanks it worked! BTW how did you find that out, did you just try common
search engine commands or is there some Vista related document with the
information?

"Chris Altmann" wrote:
> You can use OR, AND, NOT between search terms in the search box (they must
> be in capital letters).
>
> "Grant" <Grant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:438CA328-4C3C-403D-9C1A-2F9AFE1B10FC@microsoft.com...
> >I just noticed there is a way through the advanced filter but that would
> >take
> > forever if you wanted to perform a quick search for extensions... Is there
> > a
> > way to search for them in the search box, like where the previous windows
> > operating systems seperated search terms by a semi-colon?
>
Chris Altmann
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Can Vista search for multiple items?
Posted: 06-21-2006, 05:31 PM
AND and OR were in the Vista help under "Tips for finding files". I tried
NOT on a hunch.

"Grant" <Grant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F56DF7ED-E60A-4794-B80C-2A458D7AD9D0@microsoft.com...
> Thanks it worked! BTW how did you find that out, did you just try common
> search engine commands or is there some Vista related document with the
> information?
>
> "Chris Altmann" wrote:
>
>> You can use OR, AND, NOT between search terms in the search box (they
>> must
>> be in capital letters).
>>
>> "Grant" <Grant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:438CA328-4C3C-403D-9C1A-2F9AFE1B10FC@microsoft.com...
>> >I just noticed there is a way through the advanced filter but that would
>> >take
>> > forever if you wanted to perform a quick search for extensions... Is
>> > there
>> > a
>> > way to search for them in the search box, like where the previous
>> > windows
>> > operating systems seperated search terms by a semi-colon?
>>
Alan Simpson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Can Vista search for multiple items?
Posted: 07-04-2006, 04:38 PM
I believe that should be an "OR", as in "find files that have the extension
..EXE or .TXT. At least, that's how it would be in most searches. But I
haven't tried it yet and am guessing.



"Rasmus Bertelsen" <rasbert@nowhere.dk> wrote in message
news:B5C65393-8136-4F5C-83C4-9DBD77ECBFB5@microsoft.com...
>
> "Chris Altmann" <altmann@surewest.net> wrote in message
> news:EF5CD210-8FEB-426A-ABC8-80D7C4201961@microsoft.com...
>> You can use OR, AND, NOT between search terms in the search box (they
>> must be in capital letters).
>>
> Well, i can search for *.exe and *.txt separately and then the search
> function finds it.
> But if i type *.exe AND *.txt it finds nothing.
>
> Regards,
> Rasmus Bertelsen
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista integrated desktop search VinnieT Windows Vista File Management 0 09-18-2006 02:46 PM
Vista Search wont find OneNote items Agent86 Windows Vista File Management 2 08-06-2006 05:03 AM
Changing Start Menu Search default selection from "Search the Com. Grant Windows Vista File Management 0 07-14-2006 04:38 AM
Vista Search not working Michael Koch Windows Vista File Management 4 07-03-2006 06:49 PM
Searching for multiple items? Grant Windows Vista File Management 0 06-21-2006 01:25 AM