Cannot create a new partition( error: not enough space)

Posted: 01-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Hi all,

I just purchased a new laptop from Dell. Size of the C drive is 220
GB. Now I would like to create two more drives (namely: F & G as I
plan to install Windows XP on F and some data on G). When I try to
shrink C and then try to create a volume it says "There is not enough
space on disk available to complete the operation."
As said, I need to create a drive named F which will have Windows XP
installed. Should the F drive be Primary or Extended? Moreover, I've
browsed through various internet resources and I think I will have to
use a 3rd party software like Partition Magic or Acronis Disk
Director. So , suppose, if I buy either of these tools then does it
become pretty straightforward? Can someone please list the steps I
need to perform using either Partition Magic or Acronis Disk Director?
I will really apprecaite any help.

Thank you.

Cannot create a new partition( error: not enough space)


Responses to "Cannot create a new partition( error: not enough space)"

Rick Rogers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Cannot create a new partition( error: not enough space)
Posted: 01-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Hi,

You have a locked immovable file somewhere near the end of the volume and,
as you have surmised, will have to use a third party partitioning utility.
Follow the directions in the help files for the program you choose.

When you free up space for the XP installation, do not create any partition,
allow XP setup to do it from the free space you reserve for it. XP will not
install on a volume created by a Vista installation, but it will be able to
read files on one (meaning you can go ahead and create the data volume, just
leave free space for XP to set up in).

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"Oltmans" <rolf.oltmans@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:7cda6485-0f8f-4baf-afcb-d36daa9a9a4b@r41g2000prr.googlegroups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I just purchased a new laptop from Dell. Size of the C drive is 220
> GB. Now I would like to create two more drives (namely: F & G as I
> plan to install Windows XP on F and some data on G). When I try to
> shrink C and then try to create a volume it says "There is not enough
> space on disk available to complete the operation."
> As said, I need to create a drive named F which will have Windows XP
> installed. Should the F drive be Primary or Extended? Moreover, I've
> browsed through various internet resources and I think I will have to
> use a 3rd party software like Partition Magic or Acronis Disk
> Director. So , suppose, if I buy either of these tools then does it
> become pretty straightforward? Can someone please list the steps I
> need to perform using either Partition Magic or Acronis Disk Director?
> I will really apprecaite any help.
>
> Thank you.
Oltmans
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Cannot create a new partition( error: not enough space)
Posted: 01-17-2009, 12:36 PM
On Jan 17, 5:28*pm, "Rick Rogers" <r...@mvps.org> wrote:
> When you free up space for the XP installation, do not create any partition,
> allow XP setup to do it from the free space you reserve for it. XP will not
> install on a volume created by a Vista installation, but it will be able to
> read files on one (meaning you can go ahead and create the data volume, just
> leave free space for XP to set up in).
Thank you for your reply but I don't get this. I mean using 3rd party
software I shouldn't create any partition? But you said I can create a
data volume so I assume that there is an option available in 3rd party
tools using which I can create a data volume (and not create the
partition as you noted)? Correct?

Thanks again, Rogers.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVPhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help -www.rickrogers.org
> My thoughtshttp://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>
> "Oltmans" <rolf.oltm...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:7cda6485-0f8f-4baf-afcb-d36daa9a9a4b@r41g2000prr.googlegroups.com...
>
>
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > I just purchased a new laptop from Dell. Size of the C drive is 220
> > GB. Now I would like to create two more drives (namely: F & G as I
> > plan to install Windows XP on F and some data on G). When I try to
> > shrink C and then try to create a volume it says "There is not enough
> > space on disk available to complete the operation."
> > As said, I need to create a drive named F which will have Windows XP
> > installed. Should the F drive be Primary or Extended? Moreover, I've
> > browsed through various internet resources and I think I will have to
> > use a 3rd party software like Partition Magic or Acronis Disk
> > Director. So , suppose, if I buy either of these tools then does it
> > become pretty straightforward? Can someone please list the steps I
> > need to perform using either Partition Magic or Acronis Disk Director?
> > I will really apprecaite any help.
>
> > Thank you.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -
Richard Urban
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Cannot create a new partition( error: not enough space)
Posted: 01-17-2009, 01:18 PM
The built-in shrink utility will be able to decrease the partition size till
it bumps against the first unmovable/locked system file.

If you want to decrease the partition further you will need a 3rd party Disk
Management tool. I use Acronis Disk Director suite (ver 10.0.2160).
It is 100% Vista compatible.

After installing the above program, create the emergency CD. Reboot the
computer and boot up with this CD. Do your partition work from there.

You will not be hampered with locked files.

If you are installing a new operating system it is best to allow the setup
program to create the system partition for the new system.

If you have multiple drives in your computer disconnect the extra drives for
safety. This way you will not inadvertently work with the wrong drive.


--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience


"Oltmans" <rolf.oltmans@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:7cda6485-0f8f-4baf-afcb-d36daa9a9a4b@r41g2000prr.googlegroups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I just purchased a new laptop from Dell. Size of the C drive is 220
> GB. Now I would like to create two more drives (namely: F & G as I
> plan to install Windows XP on F and some data on G). When I try to
> shrink C and then try to create a volume it says "There is not enough
> space on disk available to complete the operation."
> As said, I need to create a drive named F which will have Windows XP
> installed. Should the F drive be Primary or Extended? Moreover, I've
> browsed through various internet resources and I think I will have to
> use a 3rd party software like Partition Magic or Acronis Disk
> Director. So , suppose, if I buy either of these tools then does it
> become pretty straightforward? Can someone please list the steps I
> need to perform using either Partition Magic or Acronis Disk Director?
> I will really apprecaite any help.
>
> Thank you.
Rick Rogers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Cannot create a new partition( error: not enough space)
Posted: 01-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Hi,

Yes. When you use the third party tool to carve out space, you can also use
it to create and format a data volume, just don't use it to create the XP
installation volume. Leave that as free space on the drive. As you will
still have 4 or less volumes on the drive, stick with primaries.

After installing XP, you will need to follow the process outlined here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"Oltmans" <rolf.oltmans@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:afd3110f-eb16-458a-ac1c-3ab5f78fc908@z28g2000prd.googlegroups.com...
On Jan 17, 5:28 pm, "Rick Rogers" <r...@mvps.org> wrote:
> When you free up space for the XP installation, do not create any
> partition,
> allow XP setup to do it from the free space you reserve for it. XP will
> not
> install on a volume created by a Vista installation, but it will be able
> to
> read files on one (meaning you can go ahead and create the data volume,
> just
> leave free space for XP to set up in).
Thank you for your reply but I don't get this. I mean using 3rd party
software I shouldn't create any partition? But you said I can create a
data volume so I assume that there is an option available in 3rd party
tools using which I can create a data volume (and not create the
partition as you noted)? Correct?

Thanks again, Rogers.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft
> MVPhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help -www.rickrogers.org
> My thoughtshttp://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>
> "Oltmans" <rolf.oltm...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:7cda6485-0f8f-4baf-afcb-d36daa9a9a4b@r41g2000prr.googlegroups.com...
>
>
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > I just purchased a new laptop from Dell. Size of the C drive is 220
> > GB. Now I would like to create two more drives (namely: F & G as I
> > plan to install Windows XP on F and some data on G). When I try to
> > shrink C and then try to create a volume it says "There is not enough
> > space on disk available to complete the operation."
> > As said, I need to create a drive named F which will have Windows XP
> > installed. Should the F drive be Primary or Extended? Moreover, I've
> > browsed through various internet resources and I think I will have to
> > use a 3rd party software like Partition Magic or Acronis Disk
> > Director. So , suppose, if I buy either of these tools then does it
> > become pretty straightforward? Can someone please list the steps I
> > need to perform using either Partition Magic or Acronis Disk Director?
> > I will really apprecaite any help.
>
> > Thank you.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -
Oltmans
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Cannot create a new partition( error: not enough space)
Posted: 01-17-2009, 01:30 PM
On Jan 17, 6:18*pm, "Richard Urban"
<richardurbanREMOVET...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The built-in shrink utility will be able to decrease the partition size till
> it bumps against the first unmovable/locked system file.
>
> If you want to decrease the partition further you will need a 3rd party Disk
> Management tool. I use Acronis Disk Director suite (ver 10.0.2160).
> It is 100% Vista compatible.
>
> After installing the above program, create the emergency CD. Reboot the
> computer and boot up with this CD. Do your partition work from there.
>
> You will not be hampered with locked files.
>
> If you are installing a new operating system it is best to allow the setup
> program to create the system partition for the new system.
>
Thanks, guys. One more thing. Using a program "Easeus Partition
Manager" (Came across this one on http://download.com) I've been able
to create a new volume (type = NTFS) named F. So now do you think I'm
good to install Windows XP on this newly created volume F? Size of F
is 30 GB.
Any ideas?
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to resize my partition while vista says it has no space but there's space enough misterjerry Windows Vista Performance & Maintenance 14 11-10-2008 06:33 PM
Free space partition George Windows Vista Performance & Maintenance 1 10-23-2007 10:47 AM
API to create wipe a drive and create a new partition? black_13 Windows XP Embedded 0 07-10-2007 01:33 PM
Create a New Partition for Some Unallocated Space - Need Help Jake Lee Windows Vista Install & Setup 3 04-30-2007 08:41 PM
Can't create hard drive space Don Windows XP Performance & Maintenance 1 07-27-2003 03:39 PM