Cannot debug with running VS2005 as administrator

Posted: 03-27-2008, 05:39 AM
Hi all,

I am new to windows vista. I shifted from xp to vista only a few days
back. One strange thing i have noticed is every time i try to run a
program i am asked whether i want to continue. The other thing is that
if i do not start VS2005 by saying 'run as administrator' i am not
able to debug my programs. I cannot debug ISAPI dlls, i cannot attach
to processes, although i am logged into my machine as administrator. I
there a way around this?

Thanks
Bharath

Cannot debug with running VS2005 as administrator


Responses to "Cannot debug with running VS2005 as administrator"

Jesper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: Cannot debug with running VS2005 as administrator
Posted: 03-27-2008, 04:59 PM
The second part of this is UAC related. Under UAC, even though you are a
member of the Administrators group, the SID for that group and the related
privileges are not in your token unless you elevate (Run as administrator...).

There only way to get around that for debugging applications running as
other users is the obvious: elevate the debugger. The old trick of granting a
non-privileged account SeDebugPrivilege no longer works because UAC will
strip that privilege from your token, regardless of how you received it.

As for your first question, I am not sure exactly what you mean by "every
time I run a program I am asked whether I want to continue." Are these UAC
prompts? If so, the "every time I run a program part" can't possibly be true.
The only reason those prompts would occur is if (a) the program is an
installer, (b) the program is designed to ask for elevation, or (c) you have
configured the program to run as an administrator. That should only be true
for a very small fraction of the programs you run. Could you please give more
details on what you mean by that claim, and which programs this happens with?

---
Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20


"bharath_r" wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to windows vista. I shifted from xp to vista only a few days
> back. One strange thing i have noticed is every time i try to run a
> program i am asked whether i want to continue. The other thing is that
> if i do not start VS2005 by saying 'run as administrator' i am not
> able to debug my programs. I cannot debug ISAPI dlls, i cannot attach
> to processes, although i am logged into my machine as administrator. I
> there a way around this?
>
> Thanks
> Bharath
>
>
bharath_r
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Cannot debug with running VS2005 as administrator
Posted: 03-31-2008, 06:08 AM
On Mar 27, 9:59*pm, Jesper <Jes...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> The second part of this is UAC related. Under UAC, even though you are a
> member of the Administrators group, the SID for that group and the related
> privileges are not in your token unless you elevate (Run as administrator....).
>
> There only way to get around that for debugging applications running as
> other users is the obvious: elevate the debugger. The old trick of granting a
> non-privileged account SeDebugPrivilege no longer works because UAC will
> strip that privilege from your token, regardless of how you received it.
>
> As for your first question, I am not sure exactly what you mean by "every
> time I run a program I am asked whether I want to continue." Are these UAC
> prompts? If so, the "every time I run a program part" can't possibly be true.
> The only reason those prompts would occur is if (a) the program is an
> installer, (b) the program is designed to ask for elevation, or (c) you have
> configured the program to run as an administrator. That should only be true
> for a very small fraction of the programs you run. Could you please give more
> details on what you mean by that claim, and which programs this happens with?
>
> ---
> Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:http://www..amazon.com/gp/product/04...otectyourwi-20
>
>
>
> "bharath_r" wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> > I am new to windows vista. I shifted from xp to vista only a few days
> > back. One strange thing i have noticed is every time i try to run a
> > program i am asked whether i want to continue. The other thing is that
> > if i do not start VS2005 by saying 'run as administrator' i am not
> > able to debug my programs. I cannot debug ISAPI dlls, i cannot attach
> > to processes, although i am logged into my machine as administrator. I
> > there a way around this?
>
> > Thanks
> > Bharath- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -
Hey, thanks for the reply.

Actually, you are right. From the day i switched, i had been
installing many applications and hence was getting the elevation
message many times. Yes the 'every time i run a program' part is not
true. I was just fed up of that message popping up many times.

Regards
Bharath
Jesper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Cannot debug with running VS2005 as administrator
Posted: 03-31-2008, 04:32 PM
> Actually, you are right. From the day i switched, i had been
> installing many applications and hence was getting the elevation
> message many times. Yes the 'every time i run a program' part is not
> true. I was just fed up of that message popping up many times.
You should wait with passing judgement on it until you have the system
mostly configured with all the apps you want. Once you are in steady state
you shouldn't get many pop-ups.

BTW, I'm not sure it is useful for you, but I wrote a couple of tools to
elevate things more easily. Most notably, one of them elevates an instance of
Windows Explorer so you can perform multiple file operations with one prompt
(two if you are a regular user). There is more information at:
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...-kit-done.aspx

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista and VS2005 .sln file LarryW Windows Vista File Management 0 03-06-2007 03:16 PM
Running an HTA or WSH script as administrator Windows Vista Security 1 01-10-2007 04:49 PM
can't access old administrator files running second OS alysha Windows XP Configuration & Management 3 08-20-2005 04:25 AM
Non-Administrator running tools James Kosin Windows XP Embedded 2 10-02-2003 04:26 PM
How do I find out if I am running XP as Administrator? Don S Windows XP Basics 6 07-18-2003 04:20 AM