CD Drive "Eject" menu option ... but no "Close" option ...

Posted: 01-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Why is there only "Eject" on the "CD Drive" option list but no "Close" option
??

I'm aware of the diffrenet 3Rd party software that can do it ... but ...

Is the "Eject"/Open CD/DVD so important and the "Close" CD/DVD is not???


CD Drive "Eject" menu option ... but no "Close" option ...


Responses to "CD Drive "Eject" menu option ... but no "Close" option ..."

JF
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: CD Drive "Eject" menu option ... but no "Close" option ...
Posted: 01-20-2009, 12:02 PM
> Why is there only "Eject" on the "CD Drive" option list but no "Close" option
> ??
> I'm aware of the diffrenet 3Rd party software that can do it ... but ...
> Is the "Eject"/Open CD/DVD so important and the "Close" CD/DVD is not???
It is better to control the tray with the hand if something goes wrong.

Anyway the solution exists. Examples :

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html
nircmd.exe cdrom open j:
nircmd.exe cdrom close y:

Not bad but it needs to separate links for opening and closing.
I love the next one because it uses only one key to open/close :
http://www.autohotkey.com/
http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Hotkeys.htm
This Script is for the letter P.
WIN+P to open/close the drive P.



#P::
Drive, Eject,P
if A_TimeSinceThisHotkey < 1000
Drive, Eject,P, 1
Return



(From a script you can make an exe)

--
Regards, Jean-Fran蔞is


Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: CD Drive "Eject" menu option ... but no "Close" option ...
Posted: 01-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Add "Close Tray" option to the context menu for CD/DVD drive:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/cr...e-cddvd-drive/

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
The Winhelponline Blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog


"BoazBoaz" <BoazBoaz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BC3C96CF-7741-41F5-B422-BED3E185BE1F@microsoft.com...
> Why is there only "Eject" on the "CD Drive" option list but no "Close"
> option
> ??
>
> I'm aware of the diffrenet 3Rd party software that can do it ... but ...
>
> Is the "Eject"/Open CD/DVD so important and the "Close" CD/DVD is not???
>
>

Pegasus \(MVP\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: CD Drive "Eject" menu option ... but no "Close" option ...
Posted: 01-20-2009, 02:18 PM

"Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP" <ramesh@unknownhost> wrote in message
news:O7hRriveJHA.6012@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Add "Close Tray" option to the context menu for CD/DVD drive:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/cr...e-cddvd-drive/
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
> The Winhelponline Blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
The page behind this link also mentions NirCmd.exe. I had not previously
been aware of this extremely powerful and versatile utility. What I cannot
quite figure out is how its author managed to squeeze such a rich set of
instructions into just 30 kBytes. Amazing.


smlunatick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: CD Drive "Eject" menu option ... but no "Close" option ...
Posted: 01-20-2009, 02:35 PM
On Jan 20, 2:18*pm, "Pegasus \(MVP\)" <I....@fly.com.oz> wrote:
> "Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP" <ramesh@unknownhost> wrote in messagenews:O7hRriveJHA.6012@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl. ..
>
> > Add "Close Tray" option to the context menu for CD/DVD drive:
> >http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/cr...ject-and-close...
>
> > --
> > Regards,
>
> > Ramesh Srinivasan, *Microsoft MVP *[Windows Shell/User]
> > The Winhelponline Bloghttp://www.winhelponline.com/blog
>
> The page behind this link also mentions NirCmd.exe. I had not previously
> been aware of this extremely powerful and versatile utility. What I cannot
> quite figure out is how its author managed to squeeze such a rich set of
> instructions into just 30 kBytes. Amazing.
Efficient program developing. The author does not appear to ever have
worked for a large software developer. They were never "exposed" to
the "bloatware" policies.
BoazBoaz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: I didn't ask
Posted: 01-20-2009, 02:44 PM
I didn't ask how to "solve" this issue but -why- does only the open command
is given by Microsoft.

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com.oz> wrote in message
news:O$gx2nweJHA.5932@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>
> "Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP" <ramesh@unknownhost> wrote in message
> news:O7hRriveJHA.6012@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> Add "Close Tray" option to the context menu for CD/DVD drive:
>> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/cr...e-cddvd-drive/
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>> The Winhelponline Blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
>
> The page behind this link also mentions NirCmd.exe. I had not previously
> been aware of this extremely powerful and versatile utility. What I cannot
> quite figure out is how its author managed to squeeze such a rich set of
> instructions into just 30 kBytes. Amazing.
>

smlunatick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: I didn't ask
Posted: 01-20-2009, 03:19 PM
On Jan 20, 2:44*pm, "BoazBoaz" <pastern...@bezeqint.net> wrote:
> I didn't ask how to "solve" this issue but -why- does only the open command
> is given by Microsoft.
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I....@fly.com.oz> wrote in message
>
> news:O$gx2nweJHA.5932@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>
>
>
> > "Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP" <ramesh@unknownhost> wrote in message
> >news:O7hRriveJHA.6012@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> >> Add "Close Tray" option to the context menu for CD/DVD drive:
> >>http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/cr...ject-and-close....
>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
>
> >> Ramesh Srinivasan, *Microsoft MVP *[Windows Shell/User]
> >> The Winhelponline Bloghttp://www.winhelponline.com/blog
>
> > The page behind this link also mentions NirCmd.exe. I had not previously
> > been aware of this extremely powerful and versatile utility. What I cannot
> > quite figure out is how its author managed to squeeze such a rich set of
> > instructions into just 30 kBytes. Amazing.
Its Microsoft. They own Windows and can do anything the want. This
is a major reason people like to complain about Microsoft's "strong-
arm" tactics.
Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: CD Drive "Eject" menu option ... but no "Close" option ...
Posted: 01-20-2009, 05:41 PM
It's compressed using UPX, which reduces the file size to a great extent.

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
The Winhelponline Blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog


"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com.oz> wrote in message
news:O$gx2nweJHA.5932@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>
> "Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP" <ramesh@unknownhost> wrote in message
> news:O7hRriveJHA.6012@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> Add "Close Tray" option to the context menu for CD/DVD drive:
>> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/cr...e-cddvd-drive/
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>> The Winhelponline Blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
>
> The page behind this link also mentions NirCmd.exe. I had not previously
> been aware of this extremely powerful and versatile utility. What I cannot
> quite figure out is how its author managed to squeeze such a rich set of
> instructions into just 30 kBytes. Amazing.
>

Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: CD Drive "Eject" menu option ... but no "Close" option ...
Posted: 01-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Most (or all) of Nir's tools were UPX'ed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPX

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
The Winhelponline Blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog


"smlunatick" <yveslec@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:3c1ce075-89e4-49f6-a1a3-1c227254ea3d@n10g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...
On Jan 20, 2:18 pm, "Pegasus \(MVP\)" <I....@fly.com.oz> wrote:
> "Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP" <ramesh@unknownhost> wrote in
> messagenews:O7hRriveJHA.6012@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl. ..
>
> > Add "Close Tray" option to the context menu for CD/DVD drive:
> >http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/cr...ject-and-close...
>
> > --
> > Regards,
>
> > Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
> > The Winhelponline Bloghttp://www.winhelponline.com/blog
>
> The page behind this link also mentions NirCmd.exe. I had not previously
> been aware of this extremely powerful and versatile utility. What I cannot
> quite figure out is how its author managed to squeeze such a rich set of
> instructions into just 30 kBytes. Amazing.
Efficient program developing. The author does not appear to ever have
worked for a large software developer. They were never "exposed" to
the "bloatware" policies.


alanglloyd@aol.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: CD Drive "Eject" menu option ... but no "Close" option ...
Posted: 01-20-2009, 08:02 PM
On Jan 20, 9:37嚙窮m, BoazBoaz <BoazB...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Why is there only "Eject" on the "CD Drive" option list but no "Close" option
> ??
Try the "Load" option on the context menu.

Alan Lloyd
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Having trouble adding program to "Open With" context menu option Scott Hidalgo Customize Windows XP 0 03-02-2005 09:12 PM
Is it possible to put "Hibernation" option directly on "Turn Off Computer" screen? 無知便是福 Customize Windows XP 3 06-12-2004 12:38 AM
How to get "burn" & "eject" option in window finder K9660R Apple Macintosh 23 11-15-2003 01:04 AM
"language" option missing from Tool menu; Can spell check in English only Phil Mac Ofice Word 1 10-21-2003 01:15 AM
"Language" option not available on Tools menu; can spellcheck in English only Phil Mac Ofice Word 0 10-21-2003 01:04 AM