Change administrator name to "Administrator"

Posted: 03-13-2008, 02:17 PM
I have Vista and I accidentally put my name in as the administrator when I
setup my laptop, for work purposes it's supposed to be named "Administrator".
I try to change it but I get a message "The specified account name is not
valid, because there is already an account with that name. Please try a
different name". Is there a way to change it? Any help is greatly appreciated
because I don't want to reinstall.

Thanks!!

Change administrator name to "Administrator"


Responses to "Change administrator name to "Administrator""

Brink
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Change administrator name to "Administrator"
Posted: 03-13-2008, 03:52 PM

rainyangel175;645337 Wrote:
> I have Vista and I accidentally put my name in as the administrator when
> I
> setup my laptop, for work purposes it's supposed to be named
> "Administrator".
> I try to change it but I get a message "The specified account name is
> not
> valid, because there is already an account with that name. Please try a
> different name". Is there a way to change it? Any help is greatly
> appreciated
> because I don't want to reinstall.
>
> Thanks!!
Hi RainAngel,

You cannot name a user account Administrator with a capitol A. It is
reserved for the hidden built-in Administrator account. You can use a
short "Admin" version of it, or what you did with a lower case a.

This will show you how to enable the built-in Administrator account if
you must have a user account with that name.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...r-account.html

Hope this helps you,
Shawn


--
Brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
'*Vista Forums*' (http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
rainyangel175
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Change administrator name to "Administrator"
Posted: 03-14-2008, 12:40 AM
I was able to change the name to admin, but cannot change it to
"administrator", unfortunately our business uses "administrator" as the local
adminstrator account. Is there any way around this? I appreciate all your
help!!

"Brink" wrote:
>
> rainyangel175;645337 Wrote:
> > I have Vista and I accidentally put my name in as the administrator when
> > I
> > setup my laptop, for work purposes it's supposed to be named
> > "Administrator".
> > I try to change it but I get a message "The specified account name is
> > not
> > valid, because there is already an account with that name. Please try a
> > different name". Is there a way to change it? Any help is greatly
> > appreciated
> > because I don't want to reinstall.
> >
> > Thanks!!
>
> Hi RainAngel,
>
> You cannot name a user account Administrator with a capitol A. It is
> reserved for the hidden built-in Administrator account. You can use a
> short "Admin" version of it, or what you did with a lower case a.
>
> This will show you how to enable the built-in Administrator account if
> you must have a user account with that name.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...r-account.html
>
> Hope this helps you,
> Shawn
>
>
> --
> Brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
> '*Vista Forums*' (http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)
> *Please post feedback to help others.*
>
Bruce Chambers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Change administrator name to "Administrator"
Posted: 03-14-2008, 01:06 AM
rainyangel175 wrote:
> I have Vista and I accidentally put my name in as the administrator when I
> setup my laptop, for work purposes it's supposed to be named "Administrator".
> I try to change it but I get a message "The specified account name is not
> valid, because there is already an account with that name. Please try a
> different name". Is there a way to change it? Any help is greatly appreciated
> because I don't want to reinstall.
>
> Thanks!!

Why do you want two accounts with the same name? There's already a
built-in account named "Administrator."


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell

The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Bruce Chambers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Change administrator name to "Administrator"
Posted: 03-14-2008, 01:08 AM
rainyangel175 wrote:
> I was able to change the name to admin, but cannot change it to
> "administrator", unfortunately our business uses "administrator" as the local
> adminstrator account. Is there any way around this? I appreciate all your
> help!!

Then (leaving aside the abysmally poor practice, security-wise, of
using such an account for anything but emergencies) why not just use the
built-in Administrator account, since that's exactly what it is: the
local administrator account.


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell

The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Brink
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Change administrator name to "Administrator"
Posted: 03-14-2008, 02:33 AM

rainyangel175;646014 Wrote:
> I was able to change the name to admin, but cannot change it to
> "administrator", unfortunately our business uses "administrator" as the
> local
> adminstrator account. Is there any way around this? I appreciate all
> your
> help!!
>
> "Brink" wrote:
> > > >
> > >
> > > rainyangel175;645337 Wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi RainAngel,
> > >
> > > You cannot name a user account Administrator with a capitol A. It is
> > > reserved for the hidden built-in Administrator account. You can use a
> > > short "Admin" version of it, or what you did with a lower case a.
> > >
> > > This will show you how to enable the built-in Administrator account
> > if
> > > you must have a user account with that name.
> > >
> > > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...r-account.html
> > >
> > > Hope this helps you,
> > > Shawn
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > Brink
> > >
> > > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
> > > '*Vista Forums*' (http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)
> > > *Please post feedback to help others.*
> > > > >
The only way that I can see for you to have that exact name is to
enable the built-in Administrator account. It has the name
"Administrator" by default.

Shawn


--
Brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
'*Vista Forums*' (http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
rainyangel175
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Change administrator name to "Administrator"
Posted: 03-14-2008, 05:29 PM
> Why do you want two accounts with the same name? There's already a
> built-in account named "Administrator."
>
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers


When I started the computer I choose my name as the administrator. When I go
into users I only see my name and guest. I tried to create a new user with
the name administrator but it gave me the same message as before (that name
already exists). How do I find the Administrator account? I would like to
change the password for it. Thanks for your help!
Bruce Chambers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Change administrator name to "Administrator"
Posted: 03-16-2008, 03:59 AM
rainyangel175 wrote:
>> Why do you want two accounts with the same name? There's already a
>> built-in account named "Administrator."
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>> Bruce Chambers
>
>
>
> When I started the computer I choose my name as the administrator. When I go
> into users I only see my name and guest. I tried to create a new user with
> the name administrator but it gave me the same message as before (that name
> already exists). How do I find the Administrator account? I would like to
> change the password for it. Thanks for your help!

By design, the only way to log into the Administrator account of
WinXP Home is to reboot into Safe Mode. For WinXP Pro, pressing
CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at the Welcome Screen will produce the standard login
dialog box, into which you'd type "Administrator."


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell

The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
rainyangel175
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Change administrator name to "Administrator"
Posted: 03-16-2008, 10:01 PM
I have Vista ultimate...
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows created "Administrator" account: automatically logging in. jjeromej Windows XP WMI 3 04-10-2009 08:47 AM
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission screens)" and "...But I thought I was an administrator" Jimmy Brush Windows Vista File Management 195 02-20-2009 07:37 PM
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission screens)" and "...But I thought I was an administrator" Jimmy Brush Windows Vista Administration 196 02-20-2009 07:37 PM
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission screens)" and "...But I thought I was an administrator" Jimmy Brush Windows Vista Security 202 07-20-2008 10:29 AM
canīt change from my "guest-"account to my "administrator-acconut" Lisa Windows XP Help & Support 2 10-25-2003 09:54 PM