COH crashes/xSODs

Posted: 01-08-2009, 06:11 AM

First off, thanks for reading...this is my first ever online post (yea
yeah, im a noob, etc, I get it) but I'll do my best..

I put this thread in 'games' because I didn't know where else to pu
it. I'm a moderately tech savvy guy who just put together a beast of
rig... (it got a 5.9 performance score) and everything was workin
great. Notice the 'was'...that's why I'm here, lol. :cry

*I have no idea how much information ya'll will need, so I'm gonna tr
to put as much as I can. Forgive me if its too much.

In short, while playing Company of Heroes my system randomly locks up
loops the last sound (usually gunfire) and the monitor goes completel
white, olive/green, or blue. This usually happens after about an hour o
playing. I read up on the problem, and found out that many people wer
having the same trouble I was. I've tried turning off DX10 and changin
all of the visuals to 'high' (no ultra) which apparently has cured man
other peoples' COH crashes...but it hasn't cured mine. To make matter
worse, my system just crashed for the first time outside of COH today
while I was watching YouTube. Once again, an audio loop, and a WSOD

People have said that installing DX9 is the way to go, but that seem
silly to me...and whats the deal with all these new Colors of Death? I
Microsoft trying to be a bit more colorful these days, or do they mea
something

Now, I wasn't really concerned about the crashes until it happened whe
I was surfing the web---these crashes had never happened during m
marathon sessons of Farcry2, or outside of COH...until today.

Disclaimer: I'm a noob. I get it. However, even noobs need love too
even when they live in Silicon Valley! My rig

CASE: Coolermaster HA
POWER SUPPLY: Ultra X3 1000w fully modula
OPTICAL: LG Super Multi Blu
MULTICARD READER: Generic Floppy/SD Card Comb
FAN CONTROLLER: Scythe Kaze Maste
MONITOR: Samsung T260H

CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 2.6 (no OC
CPU COOLER: Coolermaster V
MOBO: Asus P6T Delux
GPU: EVGA Geforce 260 Core 216 OC (factory overclock
RAM: Corsair 6GB 1333Mz DDR3 Tri-Channel (3x2GB
HARDDRIVES: (2) Western Digital 500GB [32MB] 7200 Caviar Blacks in RAI

(1) Western Digital 1TB [32MG] 7200 Caviar Blac
SOUND: Onboard (no additonal soundcard
OS: Vista Ultimate 64 SP

(I built it myself with the help of two of my buddies...it was my firs
build, one of many for them.

My major apps are few: Company of Heroes, Farcry2 (has never crashed)
itunes, etc...I just finished building the thing a couple of weeks ago.

I'm fairly sure (99%) that I have updated all the drivers for m
videocard, monitor, devices, and have installed all of the Windows 6
updates. What I HAVENT done yet is install the two BIOS updates fro
Asus.

Obviously, the BIOS updates will be tops on my list, probably sometim
tomorrow. (I'm having a buddy over to help, I'm honestly a bit scared t
do it myself). However, I wanted to see if there was anybody out ther
that was having the same problem as me, and could shed a bit of light o
this rediciously stupid situation. Anything that I'm missing, haven'
thought of, etc?

Thanks in advance for your help

GO SHARKS! :cool

--
American197

COH crashes/xSODs


Responses to "COH crashes/xSODs"

American197
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: COH crashes/xSODs
Posted: 01-09-2009, 11:12 AM

I installed the BIOS, updated my gtx260 drivers, and the crash stil
happened again. (I have every available update for the game, and a
running it on DX9, with 'high' settings). This time it took about tw
hours of playing COH, and JUST when my hopes were raised that th
problem was solved, the GSOD with the accompanying audio loop popped up
Once again, I could not control/alt/delete, and had to hard shut down
Strangely enough, COH would crash in about an hour before my updates
Could the problem be that I'm running it on DX9 instead of DX10? I hav
DX10 installed. Once again, I'm a noob.

I went to the 'problems/reports/solutions' folder, and lo and behold
there were no 'problems' with COH. In fact, it wasnt even listed once
Thats nice.

What I DID find, however, was a problem with FarCry2. This may not hel
(because it was pre-BIOS updates and a different game) but it was th
SAME exact loop xSOD that I keep getting with COH. I just copy/pasted a
much as I could of it for you below

Descriptio
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows

Problem signatur
Problem Event Name: AppHangB
Application Name: FarCry2.ex
Application Version: 0.1.0.
Application Timestamp: 4942e3f
Hang Signature: d56
Hang Type: 204
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.
Locale ID: 103
Additional Hang Signature 1: 733c2cc5bd93d5915757eda66dc635a
Additional Hang Signature 2: 961
Additional Hang Signature 3: 3ff4596104d308ee985f9136cb173ec
Additional Hang Signature 4: d56
Additional Hang Signature 5: 733c2cc5bd93d5915757eda66dc635a
Additional Hang Signature 6: 961
Additional Hang Signature 7: 3ff4596104d308ee985f9136cb173ec

Extra information about the proble
Bucket ID: 41374020

I also checked out the 'reliability and performance' program o
vista...It at least shows my history of crashes, but I can't find an
relevant information...which sucks, because I found a huuuuuge list o
code the other day that pertained directly to my COH problem, and hav
since forgotten where I found it.

Anyways, I'm gonna keep trolling and keep plugging away at thi
thing...any help would be most appreciated.

Best

S

--
American197
American197
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: COH crashes/xSODs
Posted: 01-09-2009, 12:03 PM

Quick question

Could 32 bit sound be causing my Ultimate 64 rig to crash during games
I was poking around in MSCONFIG and I saw that my SOUNDMAX integrate
sound was 32 bit. Thinking that one of my buddies installed it wrong
downloaded the driver from Asus, only to find that my MSCONFIG stil
says 32 bit. Apparently there have been a few people online that hav
had similar problems. Am I just barking up the wrong tree, or could a 3
bit program as important to gaming as sound be causing my freezes?

Thanks

S

PS: just ran MEMTEST for 2.5 hours and it said that my memory passe
without erro

--
American197
Mark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: COH crashes/xSODs
Posted: 01-09-2009, 04:04 PM
I wonder if you could be having overheating problems in the video or mobo
caused by the hi-requirements of playing the game for hours. This tends to
happen on homebuilt systems.

You might try experimenting by downloading a temperature monitor if you mobo
supports one and see if its overheating. Alternately you might try setting
the video/settings down another couple of notches (which will run cooler)
and see if the problem persists. Might not be as graphically pleasing but it
least it will give a data point

Hope That Helps!
Mark


"American197" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:5fbdffc66d245b652e50b43c47d38d78@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> I installed the BIOS, updated my gtx260 drivers, and the crash still
> happened again. (I have every available update for the game, and am
> running it on DX9, with 'high' settings). This time it took about two
> hours of playing COH, and JUST when my hopes were raised that the
> problem was solved, the GSOD with the accompanying audio loop popped up.
> Once again, I could not control/alt/delete, and had to hard shut down.
> Strangely enough, COH would crash in about an hour before my updates.
> Could the problem be that I'm running it on DX9 instead of DX10? I have
> DX10 installed. Once again, I'm a noob.
>
> I went to the 'problems/reports/solutions' folder, and lo and behold,
> there were no 'problems' with COH. In fact, it wasnt even listed once.
> Thats nice.
>
> What I DID find, however, was a problem with FarCry2. This may not help
> (because it was pre-BIOS updates and a different game) but it was the
> SAME exact loop xSOD that I keep getting with COH. I just copy/pasted as
> much as I could of it for you below:
>
> Description
> A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
>
> Problem signature
> Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
> Application Name: FarCry2.exe
> Application Version: 0.1.0.1
> Application Timestamp: 4942e3f6
> Hang Signature: d561
> Hang Type: 2048
> OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
> Locale ID: 1033
> Additional Hang Signature 1: 733c2cc5bd93d5915757eda66dc635ad
> Additional Hang Signature 2: 9610
> Additional Hang Signature 3: 3ff4596104d308ee985f9136cb173ec6
> Additional Hang Signature 4: d561
> Additional Hang Signature 5: 733c2cc5bd93d5915757eda66dc635ad
> Additional Hang Signature 6: 9610
> Additional Hang Signature 7: 3ff4596104d308ee985f9136cb173ec6
>
> Extra information about the problem
> Bucket ID: 413740200
>
>
> I also checked out the 'reliability and performance' program on
> vista...It at least shows my history of crashes, but I can't find any
> relevant information...which sucks, because I found a huuuuuge list of
> code the other day that pertained directly to my COH problem, and have
> since forgotten where I found it.
>
> Anyways, I'm gonna keep trolling and keep plugging away at this
> thing...any help would be most appreciated.
>
> Best,
>
> SJ
>
>
> --
> American197
jaysmiter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: COH crashes/xSODs
Posted: 01-09-2009, 04:25 PM

well im not too sure what to say but my Pc keeps crashing ever so often
it seems to crash when i start Battlefeild 2 or Online Fps Combat Arms
My resolution for both these game i have tried are 800X600 - 1240 X ..
Basically what happens is my computer will freeze and my screen become
all pixelated/discoloured.. i was wondering if neone elese had simila
problems..
Ive ran all the updates i possibe could - reformatted - complet
reformat - scaned for viruses numerous times - turned down th
resolution to my PC both in game and on the desktop, nad nothing seem
to work. It will also happen 2 min.. after start up so overheatin isn
the issue .....
Please Someone help me lolz..
HP Pavillion Elite m9425f PC
1000 Gb Hard drive
6 Gb Ram
Nvidia GeForce 9500 GS Graphics card
Windows Vista Home Premium
Intel Core(tm) 2 Quad Processor Q8200
Thanks Ja

--
jaysmite
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
jaysmiter's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/jaysmiter.ht
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...mes/1100196.ht

http://forums.techarena.i

American197
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: COH crashes/xSODs
Posted: 01-11-2009, 12:07 AM

Hey all,

If you've been reading the gaming forums lately, I'm sure you've seen
few of my posts...I'm having crashing problems with Ultimate64. I'v
updated my video driver, sound driver, chipset driver, BIOS, windows
ran MEMTEST (passed), and almost sacrificed a small goat to the compute
gods...all in the wish that my computer would just WORK.

I've been having freeze (with audio loop/BSOD) problems in Company o
Heroes (a million times), FarCry2 (once) and browsing on the interne
(once). Every time it's the same: a random complete system freeze out o
nowhere. Every once in a while my system will just randomly restart too
:mad

I've got an error code here, and was wondering if anybody knew
solution. I'm figuring that whatever shut down FarCry2 is shutting dow
my other apps (no error codes found for them). PLEASE HELP...for th
goat's sake!! :

Problem Event Name: AppHangB
Application Name: FarCry2.ex
Application Version: 0.1.0.
Application Timestamp: 4942e3f
Hang Signature: d56
Hang Type: 204
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.
Locale ID: 103
Additional Hang Signature 1: 733c2cc5bd93d5915757eda66dc635a
Additional Hang Signature 2: 961
Additional Hang Signature 3: 3ff4596104d308ee985f9136cb173ec
Additional Hang Signature 4: d56
Additional Hang Signature 5: 733c2cc5bd93d5915757eda66dc635a
Additional Hang Signature 6: 961
Additional Hang Signature 7: 3ff4596104d308ee985f9136cb173ec

Extra information about the proble
Bucket ID: 41374020

--
American197
Mark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: COH crashes/xSODs
Posted: 01-12-2009, 03:29 PM
If I recall this is a homebuilt system isn't it? That you are having
problems with numerous applications indicates to me either you have some
kind of system virus -you might try and download a couple of the freebie
virus checkers (I've used esasct and it found a previously undetected
trojan) and try running them from inside of safe-mode to see if something
has corrupted windows that your existing one didn't detect.....or you may
have a hw problem. Since its not memory, you might check the power-supply
and heat. What size p/s do you run? have you installed a freebie mobo heat
reporter and checked to see if the system is dying due to heat buildup?

Also you haven't mentioned, did you overclock the system or video? For
purposes of testing I would go with absolute defaults for the video card and
the mobo/bios. No overclocking.

Just some ideas
Mark


"American197" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:5221f6a7034c5adb8e70dcdaeae3afa1@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> Hey all,
>
> If you've been reading the gaming forums lately, I'm sure you've seen a
> few of my posts...I'm having crashing problems with Ultimate64. I've
> updated my video driver, sound driver, chipset driver, BIOS, windows,
> ran MEMTEST (passed), and almost sacrificed a small goat to the computer
> gods...all in the wish that my computer would just WORK.
>
> I've been having freeze (with audio loop/BSOD) problems in Company of
> Heroes (a million times), FarCry2 (once) and browsing on the internet
> (once). Every time it's the same: a random complete system freeze out of
> nowhere. Every once in a while my system will just randomly restart too.
>
>
> I've got an error code here, and was wondering if anybody knew a
> solution. I'm figuring that whatever shut down FarCry2 is shutting down
> my other apps (no error codes found for them). PLEASE HELP...for the
> goat's sake!!
>
>
> Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
> Application Name: FarCry2.exe
> Application Version: 0.1.0.1
> Application Timestamp: 4942e3f6
> Hang Signature: d561
> Hang Type: 2048
> OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
> Locale ID: 1033
> Additional Hang Signature 1: 733c2cc5bd93d5915757eda66dc635ad
> Additional Hang Signature 2: 9610
> Additional Hang Signature 3: 3ff4596104d308ee985f9136cb173ec6
> Additional Hang Signature 4: d561
> Additional Hang Signature 5: 733c2cc5bd93d5915757eda66dc635ad
> Additional Hang Signature 6: 9610
> Additional Hang Signature 7: 3ff4596104d308ee985f9136cb173ec6
>
> Extra information about the problem
> Bucket ID: 413740200
>
>
> --
> American197
Joe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: COH crashes/xSODs
Posted: 01-12-2009, 04:21 PM
American197 <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in
news:5fbdffc66d245b652e50b43c47d38d78@nntp-gateway.com:
>
> I installed the BIOS, updated my gtx260 drivers, and the crash still
> happened again. (I have every available update for the game, and am
> running it on DX9, with 'high' settings). This time it took about two
> hours of playing COH, and JUST when my hopes were raised that the
> problem was solved, the GSOD with the accompanying audio loop popped
> up. Once again, I could not control/alt/delete, and had to hard shut
> down. Strangely enough, COH would crash in about an hour before my
> updates. Could the problem be that I'm running it on DX9 instead of
> DX10? I have DX10 installed. Once again, I'm a noob.
Ahh, DirectX, will there ever be a day when everyone (including me)
truely understands what you do?

DirectX is just a bunch of Library files on your computer. COH I assume
is City of Heroes? COH does not use DirectX 10, I believe it's a DirectX
9 game. With DirectX either the game runs or it does not. If the game is
running, it is not a DirectX problem.

It could be your video drivers or your audio drivers are causing the
crash, more below...
> I went to the 'problems/reports/solutions' folder, and lo and behold,
> there were no 'problems' with COH. In fact, it wasnt even listed once.
> Thats nice.
Probably because the game is not crashing, or you're not running a
version of the game that catches a lot of crashes (like a Debug or Test
Build), or the crash you're experiencing is your system, not the game.
Most game developers remote report generation when they ship a game.
Debug builds of games typically run slower than release code. If you send
crash info to the game dev they can attempt to recreate the crash on a
debug system and hopefully generate more information, but in this case,
it doesn't sound like a game crash.
> What I DID find, however, was a problem with FarCry2. This may not
> help (because it was pre-BIOS updates and a different game) but it was
> the SAME exact loop xSOD that I keep getting with COH. I just
> copy/pasted as much as I could of it for you below:
So 2 games, one problem, and given the audio looping, (and because I
don't know what hardware you have). I'd guess your sound card is failing.
> Description
> A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
>
> Problem signature
> Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
(-0-snip-0-)

This would mean something to me if I was working on the farcry2 team and
had access to the source code. (I am not, and I do not.)
> I also checked out the 'reliability and performance' program on
> vista...It at least shows my history of crashes, but I can't find any
> relevant information...
Update your sound card drivers, you might try swapping out your sound
card for another one, just to test it (disable the onboard sound via
bios if that's what you're using).

You might try finding memtest86 (use google), run it on your computer
for a few hours, if you get any errors then your ram could be bad.
(common source of blue screen anything) Replace any bad RAM, BBY sold a
1g ddr2 stick for $15 last week, you can afford it.

Lastly try swapping out your video card for another, or try running the
game in the lowest settings possible, see if it'll run for a longer
period of time.

--
Joe
American197
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: COH crashes/xSODs
Posted: 01-13-2009, 09:17 AM

Hey Mark, thanks for your thoughts. A few answers to your questions..

Yeah, it's my first build. I'm a bit green, as you can tell.

As for a virus, well, I would be amazed if I got one so soon. I've ha
fully updated Norton AV on here, and the rig has only been up for abou
12 days...However, I'm willing to try anything.

I would be shocked if it was heat. I'm running a HAF case, and a V8 cp
cooler, with temps that never go above 55* even while gaming. I us
PCPROBE II for my temps.

Hardware...well, you might be right. I've been reading some bad thing
about my Asus MOBO..

My PS is a ultra 1000w, so I should be good on power...However, I pla
on testing that tomorrow.

I personally have not overclocked anything, but my GPU is factor
overclocked...perhaps this is a problem? Maybe it needs more power
Cooling?

Thanks for your time

Sa

--
American19

::NOR CAL IRISH::
Chuck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: COH crashes/xSODs
Posted: 01-29-2009, 01:21 AM
Before you install BIOS updates, it's a really good idea to find out what
the BIOS update "fixes".
You may find that the update is uneeded, or will possibly fix a problem you
are having.



"American197" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:1cb5145b65a03b28efde8ef4bcb667d0@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> First off, thanks for reading...this is my first ever online post (yeah
> yeah, im a noob, etc, I get it) but I'll do my best...
>
> I put this thread in 'games' because I didn't know where else to put
> it. I'm a moderately tech savvy guy who just put together a beast of a
> rig... (it got a 5.9 performance score) and everything was working
> great. Notice the 'was'...that's why I'm here, lol. :cry:
>
> *I have no idea how much information ya'll will need, so I'm gonna try
> to put as much as I can. Forgive me if its too much.*
>
> In short, while playing Company of Heroes my system randomly locks up,
> loops the last sound (usually gunfire) and the monitor goes completely
> white, olive/green, or blue. This usually happens after about an hour of
> playing. I read up on the problem, and found out that many people were
> having the same trouble I was. I've tried turning off DX10 and changing
> all of the visuals to 'high' (no ultra) which apparently has cured many
> other peoples' COH crashes...but it hasn't cured mine. To make matters
> worse, my system just crashed for the first time outside of COH today,
> while I was watching YouTube. Once again, an audio loop, and a WSOD.
>
> People have said that installing DX9 is the way to go, but that seems
> silly to me...and whats the deal with all these new Colors of Death? Is
> Microsoft trying to be a bit more colorful these days, or do they mean
> something?
>
> Now, I wasn't really concerned about the crashes until it happened when
> I was surfing the web---these crashes had never happened during my
> marathon sessons of Farcry2, or outside of COH...until today.
>
> Disclaimer: I'm a noob. I get it. However, even noobs need love too,
> even when they live in Silicon Valley! My rig:
>
> CASE: Coolermaster HAF
> POWER SUPPLY: Ultra X3 1000w fully modular
> OPTICAL: LG Super Multi Blu
> MULTICARD READER: Generic Floppy/SD Card Combo
> FAN CONTROLLER: Scythe Kaze Master
> MONITOR: Samsung T260HD
>
> CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 2.6 (no OC)
> CPU COOLER: Coolermaster V8
> MOBO: Asus P6T Deluxe
> GPU: EVGA Geforce 260 Core 216 OC (factory overclock)
> RAM: Corsair 6GB 1333Mz DDR3 Tri-Channel (3x2GB)
> HARDDRIVES: (2) Western Digital 500GB [32MB] 7200 Caviar Blacks in RAID
> 0
> (1) Western Digital 1TB [32MG] 7200 Caviar Black
> SOUND: Onboard (no additonal soundcard)
> OS: Vista Ultimate 64 SP1
>
> (I built it myself with the help of two of my buddies...it was my first
> build, one of many for them.)
>
> My major apps are few: Company of Heroes, Farcry2 (has never crashed),
> itunes, etc...I just finished building the thing a couple of weeks ago.
>
> I'm fairly sure (99%) that I have updated all the drivers for my
> videocard, monitor, devices, and have installed all of the Windows 64
> updates. What I HAVENT done yet is install the two BIOS updates from
> Asus.
>
> Obviously, the BIOS updates will be tops on my list, probably sometime
> tomorrow. (I'm having a buddy over to help, I'm honestly a bit scared to
> do it myself). However, I wanted to see if there was anybody out there
> that was having the same problem as me, and could shed a bit of light on
> this rediciously stupid situation. Anything that I'm missing, haven't
> thought of, etc?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help,
>
> GO SHARKS!
>
>
> --
> American197

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Movie maker crashes crashes after seven items Help Me! sparkfish Windows XP Movie Maker 4 09-01-2008 09:15 AM
IE7 crashes, Google search crashes Robert Aldwinckle Windows Vista Performance & Maintenance 0 08-09-2008 06:25 PM
crashes D.White Windows XP New Users 7 06-12-2004 08:35 PM
each time clicking a Transition in Video Transitions Crashes in WMM it crashes, how to stop this? Miki800 Windows XP Video 4 12-16-2003 09:56 PM
USB mass storage drive / file transfers crashes / Boot up Crashes Don Rifter Windows XP Hardware 0 11-11-2003 12:08 AM