connecting to internet - cable connection

Posted: 01-24-2009, 06:35 AM

I am using Vista Home Premium, but I'm experiencing a problem with m
Internet connection. I connect to Internet trough a cable connection (
have a modem). Vista identified my network card (a realtek rtl8168/811
family pci-e gigabit ethernet nic). The only problem is that it does no
identify the network connection. It says "access: local only" and, whe
I try to diagnose the problem it says ' Windows confirmed that "primar
DNS Server" is currently online, but it is not responding to connectio
attempts at this time.... bla bla bla '. This does not solve my problem
Does anyone have any idea where the problem could

If i plug this to my windows XP system it works fine

Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks

--
rameshwarprasad

connecting to internet - cable connection


Responses to "connecting to internet - cable connection"

Malke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: connecting to internet - cable connection
Posted: 01-24-2009, 12:20 PM
rameshwarprasad wrote:
>
> I am using Vista Home Premium, but I'm experiencing a problem with my
> Internet connection. I connect to Internet trough a cable connection (I
> have a modem). Vista identified my network card (a realtek rtl8168/8111
> family pci-e gigabit ethernet nic). The only problem is that it does not
> identify the network connection. It says "access: local only" and, when
> I try to diagnose the problem it says ' Windows confirmed that "primary
> DNS Server" is currently online, but it is not responding to connection
> attempts at this time.... bla bla bla '. This does not solve my problem.
> Does anyone have any idea where the problem could?
>
> If i plug this to my windows XP system it works fine.
What does your cable company's tech support have to say about this? If you
don't want to bother talking to them, buy a router so both your computers
will have Internet access.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Michael Walraven
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: connecting to internet - cable connection
Posted: 01-24-2009, 12:45 PM
On some cable systems only ONE machine is authorized access. To change
machines you might need to call your ISP and have them reset at their end
for your Vista machine. On some systems there is an automatic reset after
several hours of being disconnected.

If you follow Malke's advice you may have to call your ISP after connecting
the router to the cable modem, alternatively most routers allow what is
called MAC cloning so that the cable company thinks it is connected to what
is now your working XP machine. How you enable cloning will be covered in
your router instructions.

Michael

"Malke" <malke@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:u5fkg4hfJHA.4072@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> rameshwarprasad wrote:
>
>>
>> I am using Vista Home Premium, but I'm experiencing a problem with my
>> Internet connection. I connect to Internet trough a cable connection (I
>> have a modem). Vista identified my network card (a realtek rtl8168/8111
>> family pci-e gigabit ethernet nic). The only problem is that it does not
>> identify the network connection. It says "access: local only" and, when
>> I try to diagnose the problem it says ' Windows confirmed that "primary
>> DNS Server" is currently online, but it is not responding to connection
>> attempts at this time.... bla bla bla '. This does not solve my problem.
>> Does anyone have any idea where the problem could?
>>
>> If i plug this to my windows XP system it works fine.
>
> What does your cable company's tech support have to say about this? If you
> don't want to bother talking to them, buy a router so both your computers
> will have Internet access.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ
>
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
problem connecting laptop-desktop via cross cable & internet by mo Pankaj Jain Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 3 10-26-2007 03:37 PM
Connecting 2 XP accounts to the internet via cable modem Jimmy Windows XP Network & Web 0 01-26-2004 12:01 AM
RCA Cable Modem Connecting to Internet Karl Windows XP Hardware 0 11-06-2003 03:11 AM
Connecting to internet w/ crossover cable Russ Windows XP Network & Web 1 10-30-2003 07:17 AM
XP - XP Direct Cable Connection and Internet Connection Sharing Marc Stevens Windows XP Network & Web 7 09-29-2003 09:14 AM