Copying or deleting a large number of files

Posted: 01-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Hello,

When I copy or delete a large number of files (>1000) in Vista32, the
explorer.exe process grows to more than 1.5GB in size, and then my computer
stops responding.

I think there is a memory leak in Windows Explorer?

And how can I copy, move or delete large numbers of files?

Thank you very much for your answers in advance!

Kind regards,
Jeroen

Copying or deleting a large number of files


Responses to "Copying or deleting a large number of files"

Jeroen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Copying or deleting a large number of files
Posted: 01-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Hello,

When I copy or delete a large number of files (>1000) in Vista32, the
explorer.exe process grows to more than 1.5GB in size, and then my computer
stops responding.

I think there is a memory leak in Windows Explorer?

And how can I copy, move or delete large numbers of files?

Thank you very much for your answers in advance!

Kind regards,
Jeroen

Akarithor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Copying or deleting a large number of files
Posted: 01-24-2009, 04:55 PM

You can still copy/delete a large number of files, but maybe >1000 is
little too much, try and lower the size to maybe a hundred a time, an
see what happens then

--
Akarithor
Jeroen de Wolf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Copying or deleting a large number of files
Posted: 01-26-2009, 08:57 AM


When I have a folder with, say, 5.000 files, it's not a nice task to copy 50
times one hundred files!

I've noticed that copying 10 times 100 files a time causes much less growth
of explorer than copying 1 time 1000 files; that's why my conclusion is that
something in explorer is not coded right. The same goes for just SELECTING
those files; I think the properties of ALL selected or copied files are
loaded into memory, regardless of how many files are selected, and that those
properties are not cleaned from memory very well. Maybe some inside MS
developer can confirm this?

> You can still copy/delete a large number of files, but maybe >1000 is a
> little too much, try and lower the size to maybe a hundred a time, and
> see what happens then.
R. C. White
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Copying or deleting a large number of files
Posted: 01-26-2009, 02:09 PM
Hi, Jeroen.

Which version of Vista? Is it x64 or x86?

I don't know your specific needs, but if you want to delete ALL the files in
a folder, you could use the "rd /s" command to Remove Directory, including
all the files and subfolders in that directory tree. For details, open a
Command Prompt window and type "rd /?" for a mini-Help file showing all the
switches and parameters available for the rd command. Depending on the type
of files, you might need to right-click Command Prompt and chose to Run as
Administrator.

(If you need to delete 4,999 of the 5,000 files in a folder, first Move the
one good file elsewhere, then use rd /s to delete the folder with all the
remaining files - then recreate the folder with md and Move the good file
back into it.)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@grandecom.net
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail 2009 in Win7 Ultimate x64 7000)

"Jeroen de Wolf" <Activator@community.nospam> wrote in message
news:6580FB44-906E-4067-8BFB-EB12065E8812@microsoft.com...
>
> When I have a folder with, say, 5.000 files, it's not a nice task to copy
> 50
> times one hundred files!
>
> I've noticed that copying 10 times 100 files a time causes much less
> growth
> of explorer than copying 1 time 1000 files; that's why my conclusion is
> that
> something in explorer is not coded right. The same goes for just SELECTING
> those files; I think the properties of ALL selected or copied files are
> loaded into memory, regardless of how many files are selected, and that
> those
> properties are not cleaned from memory very well. Maybe some inside MS
> developer can confirm this?
>
>
>> You can still copy/delete a large number of files, but maybe >1000 is a
>> little too much, try and lower the size to maybe a hundred a time, and
>> see what happens then.
COBSOLV
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Copying or deleting a large number of files
Posted: 02-06-2009, 06:51 PM

Hi,
Please let us know if you ever find an error to this problem.
I am running Vista Home Basic on an ASUS 2GHZ CEL and have the sam
problem. Explorer just gives up after 1 minute of the blue circle o
death and then jumps to another window (if there are any open)
selecting 1000+ files.
In addition I also have problems on USB drive and memory stick. N
errors are reported, but (say) only 100 out of 1000 files are actuall
copied.
I have had my disc, memory, CPU checked; upgraded to 3GB Ram
downloaded ASUS utility updates, confirmed I have SP1 installed etc..an
the only solution I have been offered is to reload Vista - as though
have days to spare reloading all my software. Not to mention how can
be sure I have successfully backed up (copied) all my data

--
COBSOL
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
COBSOLV's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/cobsolv.ht
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-fil...ent/1096757.ht

http://forums.techarena.i

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving large number of files within same drive Lucvdv Windows Vista File Management 3 08-25-2007 09:12 AM
Anyone Have Explorer Problems Working with Large Number of Large Files? Dan Jensen Windows XP Video 0 03-12-2005 04:46 AM
Copying Large Files spotdog13 Windows XP Performance & Maintenance 1 07-16-2004 05:23 PM
Response time - Large Number of Files John Windows XP Performance & Maintenance 0 12-24-2003 06:23 PM
Accessing Large number of files - windows XP John Windows XP Performance & Maintenance 0 12-17-2003 08:55 PM