Real Geek Forums

Real Geek Forums (http://www.realgeek.com/forums/index.php)
-   Windows Vista Security (http://www.realgeek.com/forums/windows-vista-security-19/)
-   -   Defender and system tray icon (http://www.realgeek.com/forums/defender-and-system-tray-icon-234283.html)

Minxii 06-10-2008 05:42 PM

Defender and system tray icon
 
Today I switched on Windows Defender (for the first time) and ran a quick
scan which was fine, but I've noticed a new icon in the systems tray with a
green circle and a tick in it. When I hover the pointer over it, it says
"Safely Remove Hardware". I've looked everywhere for an explanation but can't
find any info anywhere. Can someone tell me what it means please. Also, do I
need Defender on as I have McAfee Security Centre installed on my pc. Thank
you.

Charlie42 06-10-2008 06:17 PM

Re: Defender and system tray icon
 
"Minxii" <Minxii@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
Quote:

> Today I switched on Windows Defender (for the first time) and ran a
> quick scan which was fine, but I've noticed a new icon in the systems tray
> with a green circle and a tick in it.
The Defender system tray icon looks like a small grey castle. If ticked and
green, everything is ok. A spinning green wheel shows during scans, and your
attention is called in yellow in case an issue have to be addressed.
Quote:

> When I hover the pointer over it, it says "Safely Remove Hardware".
Are you sure you do not inadvertently hover over an adjacent icon? I.e. the
one that shows up when a USB device or similar is connected.
Quote:

> Also, do I need Defender on as I have McAfee Security Centre installed
> on my pc.
Under the assumption you mean McAfee's suite, I would say it is not crucial
to do so. However, as long as you have adequate system resources available,
I would advice you to keep Defender enabled. Having a second anti-spyware
program is recommended, and the chances of any conflicts are small.

Charlie42


Dave M 06-10-2008 07:30 PM

Re: Defender and system tray icon
 

Safely remove hardware allows you to stop any USB devices connected to
your system before you unplug them, preventing data loss.

As long as you don't detect any conflicts between McAfee and Windows
Defender feel free to run them concurrently. Running multiple
signature based Anti-Spyware applications in real-time does not
normally result in the type of conflict that their Anti-Virus cousins
often exhibit. You may see such conflict in your Task Manager or in
the applications themselves if they do clash.


--
Dave M
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave M's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=25399
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=984062

http://forums.techarena.in


Minxii 06-10-2008 10:58 PM

Re: Defender and system tray icon
 
Hi Charlie42. The icon that has appeared is a little grey USB connector with
a green circle and a white tick in the circle. If I click on the icon a box
pops up which has two lines. One says "safely remove (loads of
letters/numbers) Disk Device - Drives (D:,C:)" and the other says "safely
remove (loads of letters/numbers) Cd Rom Device - Drive (E:)". As I mentioned
before the icon only appeared after I enabled Windows Defender, which I have
now DISabled but the icon remains in the same place!! I have not plugged
anything into or unplugged anything from any USB ports!
Minxii.

"Charlie42" wrote:
Quote:

> "Minxii" <Minxii@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
Quote:

> > Today I switched on Windows Defender (for the first time) and ran a
> > quick scan which was fine, but I've noticed a new icon in the systems tray
> > with a green circle and a tick in it.
>
> The Defender system tray icon looks like a small grey castle. If ticked and
> green, everything is ok. A spinning green wheel shows during scans, and your
> attention is called in yellow in case an issue have to be addressed.
>
Quote:

> > When I hover the pointer over it, it says "Safely Remove Hardware".
>
> Are you sure you do not inadvertently hover over an adjacent icon? I.e. the
> one that shows up when a USB device or similar is connected.
>
Quote:

> > Also, do I need Defender on as I have McAfee Security Centre installed
> > on my pc.
>
> Under the assumption you mean McAfee's suite, I would say it is not crucial
> to do so. However, as long as you have adequate system resources available,
> I would advice you to keep Defender enabled. Having a second anti-spyware
> program is recommended, and the chances of any conflicts are small.
>
> Charlie42
>
>

Charlie42 06-11-2008 08:01 PM

Re: Defender and system tray icon
 
"Minxii" <Minxii@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
Quote:

> Hi Charlie42. The icon that has appeared is a little grey USB connector
> with a green circle and a white tick in the circle. If I click on the icon
> a
> box pops up which has two lines. One says "safely remove (loads of
> letters/numbers) Disk Device - Drives (D:,C:)" and the other says "safely
> remove (loads of letters/numbers) Cd Rom Device - Drive (E:)". As I
> mentioned before the icon only appeared after I enabled Windows
> Defender, which I have now DISabled but the icon remains in the same
> place!! I have not plugged anything into or unplugged anything from any
> USB ports!
I have seen this behaviour before, and a reboot took care of it. Before you
resort to that, right-click the taskbar and from the context menu select
Properties > System Tray tab > Customize button. Make sure the "Safely eject
hardware..." icon is set to be hidden when inactive.

As long as the drives listed (C, D, E...) actually exists on your system,
there is nothing to worry about anyway. I doubt Defender has anything to do
with this, so you might as well reenable it.

Charlie42



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2007 RealGeek.com. All rights reserved.