Delayed Print Spooling

Posted: 10-06-2006, 12:23 AM
I recently purchased and installed a Canon mp830 "all in one" on my desktop
w/Windows XP Pro. When I send a print job to the printer (the 1st one),
spools and prints quickly. Then when I send another print job to the printer,
(the 2nd, 3rd, etc. print job), it is put into the printer queue and then a
long delay occurs. The 1st print job is still in the queue with the status as
"printing" even tho it has finished. It takes approx. 6 minutes for the print
job to be cleared out of queue and then the next job will print. Then we wait
again for the next in queue another 6 minutes.

When I connect the USB cable directly to my laptop. Printing works fine, one
print job after another... smooth as silk.

After many consults with tech at Canon and many uninstalls/re-installs, they
said that this has happened before when there is something in XP Spooling is
messed up. That I should contact MS... but MS won't support because this is
OEM version of XP.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks very much,

Jon

Delayed Print Spooling


Responses to "Delayed Print Spooling"

Cari \(MS-MVP\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Delayed Print Spooling
Posted: 10-06-2006, 02:44 AM
Is the printer connected to the desktop...

a) on a USB port on the motherboard
b) on a USB port on a hub
c) if a hub, powered or unpowered
d) if on the motherboard, is it a front or rear port
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"papajon48" <papajon48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4A8A4727-7612-47F9-A8DB-CB24884FC248@microsoft.com...
>I recently purchased and installed a Canon mp830 "all in one" on my desktop
> w/Windows XP Pro. When I send a print job to the printer (the 1st one),
> spools and prints quickly. Then when I send another print job to the
> printer,
> (the 2nd, 3rd, etc. print job), it is put into the printer queue and then
> a
> long delay occurs. The 1st print job is still in the queue with the status
> as
> "printing" even tho it has finished. It takes approx. 6 minutes for the
> print
> job to be cleared out of queue and then the next job will print. Then we
> wait
> again for the next in queue another 6 minutes.
>
> When I connect the USB cable directly to my laptop. Printing works fine,
> one
> print job after another... smooth as silk.
>
> After many consults with tech at Canon and many uninstalls/re-installs,
> they
> said that this has happened before when there is something in XP Spooling
> is
> messed up. That I should contact MS... but MS won't support because this
> is
> OEM version of XP.
>
> Anyone know how to fix this?
>
> Thanks very much,
>
> Jon

papajon48
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Delayed Print Spooling
Posted: 10-06-2006, 04:10 AM
I first tried it on a pci USB port. Then tried it on the motherboard USB port
on the back of the desktop. In both situations I uninstalled and re-installed
the drivers. I even updated the USB drivers from the motherboard website
"gigabyte".

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> Is the printer connected to the desktop...
>
> a) on a USB port on the motherboard
> b) on a USB port on a hub
> c) if a hub, powered or unpowered
> d) if on the motherboard, is it a front or rear port
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "papajon48" <papajon48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:4A8A4727-7612-47F9-A8DB-CB24884FC248@microsoft.com...
> >I recently purchased and installed a Canon mp830 "all in one" on my desktop
> > w/Windows XP Pro. When I send a print job to the printer (the 1st one),
> > spools and prints quickly. Then when I send another print job to the
> > printer,
> > (the 2nd, 3rd, etc. print job), it is put into the printer queue and then
> > a
> > long delay occurs. The 1st print job is still in the queue with the status
> > as
> > "printing" even tho it has finished. It takes approx. 6 minutes for the
> > print
> > job to be cleared out of queue and then the next job will print. Then we
> > wait
> > again for the next in queue another 6 minutes.
> >
> > When I connect the USB cable directly to my laptop. Printing works fine,
> > one
> > print job after another... smooth as silk.
> >
> > After many consults with tech at Canon and many uninstalls/re-installs,
> > they
> > said that this has happened before when there is something in XP Spooling
> > is
> > messed up. That I should contact MS... but MS won't support because this
> > is
> > OEM version of XP.
> >
> > Anyone know how to fix this?
> >
> > Thanks very much,
> >
> > Jon
>
>
>
papajon48
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Delayed Print Spooling
Posted: 10-06-2006, 04:12 AM
I first had it connected to the pci card USB port. Then I connected to the
motherboard USB port on the back of desktop. In both cases, I uninstalled and
re-installed the drivers. I also updated the USB drivers from the motherboard
website (gigabyte).

Jon


"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> Is the printer connected to the desktop...
>
> a) on a USB port on the motherboard
> b) on a USB port on a hub
> c) if a hub, powered or unpowered
> d) if on the motherboard, is it a front or rear port
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "papajon48" <papajon48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:4A8A4727-7612-47F9-A8DB-CB24884FC248@microsoft.com...
> >I recently purchased and installed a Canon mp830 "all in one" on my desktop
> > w/Windows XP Pro. When I send a print job to the printer (the 1st one),
> > spools and prints quickly. Then when I send another print job to the
> > printer,
> > (the 2nd, 3rd, etc. print job), it is put into the printer queue and then
> > a
> > long delay occurs. The 1st print job is still in the queue with the status
> > as
> > "printing" even tho it has finished. It takes approx. 6 minutes for the
> > print
> > job to be cleared out of queue and then the next job will print. Then we
> > wait
> > again for the next in queue another 6 minutes.
> >
> > When I connect the USB cable directly to my laptop. Printing works fine,
> > one
> > print job after another... smooth as silk.
> >
> > After many consults with tech at Canon and many uninstalls/re-installs,
> > they
> > said that this has happened before when there is something in XP Spooling
> > is
> > messed up. That I should contact MS... but MS won't support because this
> > is
> > OEM version of XP.
> >
> > Anyone know how to fix this?
> >
> > Thanks very much,
> >
> > Jon
>
>
>
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Delayed Print Spooling
Posted: 10-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Hi,

I have the same problem with some printers/PCs on my network.

I'm currently consentrating on one printer. Its a HP LJ5si and is networked
via a jetdirect card. The printer is installed on a SBS2003 and the client
PCs hook upto the installation on the server.

So far I have updated drivers, firmware, jetdirect firmware and installed
the printer by its IP address not from the server share, and still I get the
same problem. All my client PCs are running WinXP(SP2) fully updated, and
primarily print out of the office pro suite. I've dredged the kb, google etc
and have run out of things to try. Any one got any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Paul


papajon48
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Delayed Print Spooling
Posted: 10-06-2006, 01:58 PM
The other interesting thing is... I have another printer (canon i850) that
works fine on the same computer, same USB ports. Go figure????




"Paul" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the same problem with some printers/PCs on my network.
>
> I'm currently consentrating on one printer. Its a HP LJ5si and is networked
> via a jetdirect card. The printer is installed on a SBS2003 and the client
> PCs hook upto the installation on the server.
>
> So far I have updated drivers, firmware, jetdirect firmware and installed
> the printer by its IP address not from the server share, and still I get the
> same problem. All my client PCs are running WinXP(SP2) fully updated, and
> primarily print out of the office pro suite. I've dredged the kb, google etc
> and have run out of things to try. Any one got any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Paul
>
>
>
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No print spooling available with print server danny.bosschaerts@scarlet.be Windows XP Printers / Scanners / Fax 0 08-31-2006 06:48 AM
Remote print spooling How? Kim Windows XP Printers / Scanners / Fax 0 11-30-2005 08:16 PM
Print Spooling Dan Windows XP Printers / Scanners / Fax 10 08-30-2005 07:14 PM
Slow print spooling Doug Windows XP Printers / Scanners / Fax 0 11-07-2003 04:41 AM
Print spooling in XP Bruce Sanderson Windows XP Printers / Scanners / Fax 0 08-30-2003 11:28 PM