Deleting Files and clean space, yet I keep losing room??

Posted: 12-04-2008, 07:01 PM

I started Deleting Files and cleaning space, yet my drive shows I'
losing space?? What is going on

Thank

--
The Driver

Deleting Files and clean space, yet I keep losing room??


Responses to "Deleting Files and clean space, yet I keep losing room??"

Brink
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Deleting Files and clean space, yet I keep losing room??
Posted: 12-04-2008, 07:16 PM

The Driver;902413 Wrote:
> I started Deleting Files and cleaning space, yet my drive shows I'
> losing space?? What is going on
>
> Thank
Hello The Driver

It could be from System Restore creating restore points. Check to se
how much space is being used by System Restore

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76...disk-space.htm

If you have a OEM computer, then it may also have a OEM recover
mananger program that is also creating it's own restore points on th
recovery partition

Hope this helps
Shaw

--
Brin

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not as
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*
(http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and* '*::Vista Forums::*
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Dick D.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Deleting Files and clean space, yet I keep losing room??
Posted: 12-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Brink <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:
>If you have a OEM computer, then it may also have a OEM recovery
>mananger program that is also creating it's own restore points on the
>recovery partition.
WHAT?
Brink
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Deleting Files and clean space, yet I keep losing room??
Posted: 12-04-2008, 09:00 PM

Hi Dick

Sorry, a OEM (ex: HP) brand computer may have a feature to creat
restore points in their Recovery Manager program. You will need to loo
through your computer's documentation for how to use or disable it

Dick D.;902480 Wrote:
> Brink <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote
> > > >
> > >If you have a OEM computer, then it may also have a OEM recover
> > >mananger program that is also creating it's own restore points on th
> > >recovery partition. > >
>
> WHAT
--
Brin

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not as
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*
(http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and* '*::Vista Forums::*
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Dick D.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Deleting Files and clean space, yet I keep losing room??
Posted: 12-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Brink <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:
>
>Hi Dick,
>
>Sorry, a OEM (ex: HP) brand computer may have a feature to create
>restore points in their Recovery Manager program. You will need to look
>through your computer's documentation for how to use or disable it.
I've never heard of such a thing. Never. Have you got a cite for it?

>Dick D.;902480 Wrote:
>> Brink <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote:
>> > > >
>> > >If you have a OEM computer, then it may also have a OEM recovery
>> > >mananger program that is also creating it's own restore points on the
>> > >recovery partition. > >
>>
>> WHAT?
Brink
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Deleting Files and clean space, yet I keep losing room??
Posted: 12-04-2008, 10:40 PM

I could not think of the one I have seen this with before. It may hav
been just an option for it to store the Vista restore points on th
recovery partition though instead. Here is an example with the H
Recovery Manager for it to make backup files

'HP Notebook PCs*-* Using HP Backup and Recovery Manager*
(http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/f...upRestoreFiles

Dick D.;902572 Wrote:
> Brink <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote
> > > >
> >
> > >Hi Dick
> >
> > >Sorry, a OEM (ex: HP) brand computer may have a feature to creat
> > >restore points in their Recovery Manager program. You will need t
> > loo
> > >through your computer's documentation for how to use or disable it. > >
>
> I've never heard of such a thing. Never. Have you got a cite for it
>
> > > >
> > >Dick D.;902480 Wrote:> > > > >
> > > >> Brink <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote
> > > >
> > > >> WHAT? > > > > >
--
Brin

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not as
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*
(http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and* '*::Vista Forums::*
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Dick D.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Deleting Files and clean space, yet I keep losing room??
Posted: 12-04-2008, 11:52 PM
Brink <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:
>
>I could not think of the one I have seen this with before. It may have
>been just an option for it to store the Vista restore points on the
>recovery partition though instead. Here is an example with the HP
>Recovery Manager for it to make backup files.
That's merely backup software that stores backups on optical media or
elsewhere. It's got nothing to do with creating and storing system
restore points.

I think you should drop the contested statement from your cache of
replies.

At this point, you've only slightly marred your otherwise good
reputation for giving reliable advice ;-)

>'HP Notebook PCs¬*-¬* Using HP Backup and Recovery Manager¬*'
>(http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/f...upRestoreFiles)
>
>
>Dick D.;902572 Wrote:
>> Brink <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote:
>> > > >
>> > >
>> > >Hi Dick,
>> > >
>> > >Sorry, a OEM (ex: HP) brand computer may have a feature to create
>> > >restore points in their Recovery Manager program. You will need to
>> > look
>> > >through your computer's documentation for how to use or disable it. > >
>>
>> I've never heard of such a thing. Never. Have you got a cite for it?
>>
>> > > >
>> > >Dick D.;902480 Wrote:> > > > >
>> > > >> Brink <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote:
>> > > >>
>> > > >> WHAT? > > > > > >
Brink
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Deleting Files and clean space, yet I keep losing room??
Posted: 12-05-2008, 04:05 AM

Well, no one is perfect including myself. ;


Dick D.;902658 Wrote:
> Brink <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote
> > > >
> >
> > >I could not think of the one I have seen this with before. It may hav
> > >been just an option for it to store the Vista restore points on th
> > >recovery partition though instead. Here is an example with the H
> > >Recovery Manager for it to make backup files. > >
>
> That's merely backup software that stores backups on optical media o
> elsewhere. It's got nothing to do with creating and storing syste
> restore points
>
> I think you should drop the contested statement from your cache o
> replies
>
> At this point, you've only slightly marred your otherwise goo
> reputation for giving reliable advice ;-
>
> > > >
> > >'HP Notebook PCs¬*-¬* Using HP Backup and Recovery Manager¬*
> > >('HP Notebook PCs*-* Using HP Backup and Recovery Manager*
> > (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/f...upRestoreFiles)
> >
> >
> > >Dick D.;902572 Wrote:> > > > >
> > > >> Brink <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote
> > > >
> > > >> I've never heard of such a thing. Never. Have you got a cite for it
> > > >>> > > > >
--
Brin

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not as
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*
(http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and* '*::Vista Forums::*
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
The Driver
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Deleting Files and clean space, yet I keep losing room??
Posted: 12-05-2008, 06:10 AM

Well, Brink

I thank you for your advice, weather it was perfect or not. It's always
nice to see someone who is willing to help regardless of weather they
are right or not. However I fear the problem is far worse I think
I may have some sort of virus as I have lost 2 gig in approximately 5
minutes. The only thing which I have done is search for corrupt files.


--
The Driver
Brink
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Deleting Files and clean space, yet I keep losing room??
Posted: 12-05-2008, 06:41 AM

The Driver;902929 Wrote:
> Well, Brin
>
> I thank you for your advice, weather it was perfect or not. It's alway
> nice to see someone who is willing to help regardless of weather the
> are right or not. However I fear the problem is far worse I thin
> I may have some sort of virus as I have lost 2 gig in approximately
> minutes. The only thing which I have done is search for corrupt files
That does not sound good. I would recommend that you backup what yo
can now, and format to do a clean reinstall of Vista. :

To be help be safe, run a very thorough antivirus and anti-malware sca
before you backup your data and after you reisntall Vista and th
backup

--
Brin

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not as
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*
(http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and* '*::Vista Forums::*
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clean install not really clean? very little free drive space left JenC Windows XP Performance & Maintenance 2 01-16-2004 08:36 AM
Deleting files does not alter free space Rob Windows XP Help & Support 2 01-08-2004 03:07 PM
Deleting/removing files does not change 'free vs. used disk space' display Darold Klauk Windows XP Device Drivers 1 12-18-2003 04:00 AM
Free space not returned to hard drive after deleting files Ken Reynolds Windows XP 2 08-17-2003 02:32 AM