Deleting old folder from System Volume Information folder

Posted: 01-21-2009, 07:55 PM
When I installed Vista, some WinXP restore points were retained in the
System Volume Information folder. They are in a folder named
"_restore{3A579F61-.....]", which contains dozens of subfolders named
"RP3", "RP4", "RP5", etc.

Altogether these junk files are occupying about 5GB, which I am trying
to recover.

I have assumed full ownership of all these folders (through Properties /
Security / Advanced / Owner / Edit ), but when I try to delete the junk
folder the system completely ignores my 'delete' command.

How can I get rid of this junk folder? Thanks for any help.

Deleting old folder from System Volume Information folder


Responses to "Deleting old folder from System Volume Information folder"

DaveD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Deleting old folder from System Volume Information folder
Posted: 01-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Download KillDisk, create a bootable floppy or thumb drive, boot from that,
and run a wipe.

http://www.killdisk.com/

DD


"Art" <anacharb.remove@telus.remove.net> wrote in message
news:95Ldl.6630$Db2.1014@edtnps83...
> When I installed Vista, some WinXP restore points were retained in the
> System Volume Information folder. They are in a folder named
> "_restore{3A579F61-.....]", which contains dozens of subfolders named
> "RP3", "RP4", "RP5", etc.
>
> Altogether these junk files are occupying about 5GB, which I am trying to
> recover.
>
> I have assumed full ownership of all these folders (through Properties /
> Security / Advanced / Owner / Edit ), but when I try to delete the junk
> folder the system completely ignores my 'delete' command.
>
> How can I get rid of this junk folder? Thanks for any help.
Art
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Deleting old folder from System Volume Information folder
Posted: 01-22-2009, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the reply, Dave.

Your suggestion of killdisk gave me an idea. I have BCwipe, and I hadn't
even thought of trying it. Lo & behold, it works for file deletion in
the Sys Vol Info folder!

Now I have another question: every indication is that all the RP1, RP2,
RP3, etc, folders are relics of WinXP. All the folder & file creation
dates pre-date my installation of Vista. But is there some chance that
by wiping all these files I'm creating a big problem for myself?? Like,
if they are WinXP relics, then they are junk ...right?

Thanks.

DaveD wrote:
> Download KillDisk, create a bootable floppy or thumb drive, boot from
> that, and run a wipe.
>
> http://www.killdisk.com/
>
> DD
>
>
> "Art" <anacharb.remove@telus.remove.net> wrote in message
> news:95Ldl.6630$Db2.1014@edtnps83...
>> When I installed Vista, some WinXP restore points were retained in the
>> System Volume Information folder. They are in a folder named
>> "_restore{3A579F61-.....]", which contains dozens of subfolders named
>> "RP3", "RP4", "RP5", etc.
>>
>> Altogether these junk files are occupying about 5GB, which I am trying
>> to recover.
>>
>> I have assumed full ownership of all these folders (through Properties
>> / Security / Advanced / Owner / Edit ), but when I try to delete the
>> junk folder the system completely ignores my 'delete' command.
>>
>> How can I get rid of this junk folder? Thanks for any help.
>
DaveD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Deleting old folder from System Volume Information folder
Posted: 01-22-2009, 02:06 AM
I currently don't have KillDisk installed, as I've recently done a reinstall
of the OS and haven't reinstalled all the utilities.
(KillDisk allowed me to see super-hidden files that I can't view otherwise)

But, as I recall those files were on my machine too last time I checked, and
my system was a clean install, never an XP upgrade.
As I recall also, they were of minimal size and so shouldn't be a problem.
My inclination would be to say if your wipe utility didn't delete them, they
probably belong to the OS and should be left alone.

DD


"Art" <anacharb.remove@telus.remove.net> wrote in message
news:3EPdl.6095$PH1.1894@edtnps82...
> Thanks for the reply, Dave.
>
> Your suggestion of killdisk gave me an idea. I have BCwipe, and I hadn't
> even thought of trying it. Lo & behold, it works for file deletion in the
> Sys Vol Info folder!
>
> Now I have another question: every indication is that all the RP1, RP2,
> RP3, etc, folders are relics of WinXP. All the folder & file creation
> dates pre-date my installation of Vista. But is there some chance that by
> wiping all these files I'm creating a big problem for myself?? Like, if
> they are WinXP relics, then they are junk ...right?
>
> Thanks.
>
> DaveD wrote:
>> Download KillDisk, create a bootable floppy or thumb drive, boot from
>> that, and run a wipe.
>>
>> http://www.killdisk.com/
>>
>> DD
>>
>>
>> "Art" <anacharb.remove@telus.remove.net> wrote in message
>> news:95Ldl.6630$Db2.1014@edtnps83...
>>> When I installed Vista, some WinXP restore points were retained in the
>>> System Volume Information folder. They are in a folder named
>>> "_restore{3A579F61-.....]", which contains dozens of subfolders named
>>> "RP3", "RP4", "RP5", etc.
>>>
>>> Altogether these junk files are occupying about 5GB, which I am trying
>>> to recover.
>>>
>>> I have assumed full ownership of all these folders (through Properties /
>>> Security / Advanced / Owner / Edit ), but when I try to delete the junk
>>> folder the system completely ignores my 'delete' command.
>>>
>>> How can I get rid of this junk folder? Thanks for any help.
>>
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Large System Volume Information Folder Tim Windows Vista Performance & Maintenance 6 03-12-2007 11:21 PM
System Volume Information folder ralmquist Windows XP Configuration & Management 7 09-10-2006 12:19 AM
Virus in System Volume Information folder Ken Windows XP Security & Administration 4 01-09-2004 02:28 AM
Deleting System Volume Information Folder Dave Jacobs Windows XP Performance & Maintenance 1 12-11-2003 12:17 AM
System Volume Information folder is 10GB Mohan Windows XP Performance & Maintenance 8 10-23-2003 01:02 PM