Disable driver signing in Vista 64bit

Posted: 03-10-2008, 09:51 PM
I am trying to get VMware Server running on my Vista Enterprise 64bit
machine. The install goes along fine until the very end where Windows
complains about 5 drivers as being 'unsigned'. In previous versions of
Windows I could simply tell the install to go ahead and all would be fine.

Apparently the 64bit version of Vista isn't so accommodating.

Is there a way I can spoof these drivers so that Vista thinks they are
signed (simply turn this off)?



And yes, VMWare knows about this problem. They don't seem concerned as
they simply say "VMware Server is not supported on Vista. You have to
pay for Workstation instead". Assinine as Server is supported on
virtually everything else (including WinXP, 2003, every flavor of Linux,
etc).

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes
chris-barnes@tamu.edu Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes

Disable driver signing in Vista 64bit


Responses to "Disable driver signing in Vista 64bit"

.Joe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Disable driver signing in Vista 64bit
Posted: 03-11-2008, 02:34 AM

Chris Barnes;642057 Wrote:
> I am trying to get VMware Server running on my Vista Enterprise 64bit
> machine. The install goes along fine until the very end where Windows
> complains about 5 drivers as being 'unsigned'. In previous versions of
> Windows I could simply tell the install to go ahead and all would be
> fine.
>
> Apparently the 64bit version of Vista isn't so accommodating.
>
> Is there a way I can spoof these drivers so that Vista thinks they are
> signed (simply turn this off)?
>
>
>
> And yes, VMWare knows about this problem. They don't seem concerned as
> they simply say "VMware Server is not supported on Vista. You have to
> pay for Workstation instead". Assinine as Server is supported on
> virtually everything else (including WinXP, 2003, every flavor of
> Linux,
> etc).
>
> --
>
> + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
> Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes
> chris-barnes@xxxxxx Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes
Chris:

To the best of my knowledge, all 64 bit versions of Vista require
signed drivers. I'm unaware of a way to bypass this system requirement.


--
..Joe

_[image:
http://uswave.net/joetmvx64.png] (\"http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=17621\")_
_CPU-Z_Verified (\"http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=323179\")_
Kerry Brown
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Disable driver signing in Vista 64bit
Posted: 03-11-2008, 03:19 AM
Press F8 on startup to get to the safe mode boot menu. One of the options is
to allow unsigned drivers. This will get it installed. There is no way to
make this permanent. Every time you want to use a program (VMWare Server)
that needs an unsigned driver you have to reboot, press F8, and enable this
option.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/



"Chris Barnes" <chris-barnes@tamu.edu> wrote in message
news:ONlg5jvgIHA.4684@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>I am trying to get VMware Server running on my Vista Enterprise 64bit
>machine. The install goes along fine until the very end where Windows
>complains about 5 drivers as being 'unsigned'. In previous versions of
>Windows I could simply tell the install to go ahead and all would be fine.
>
> Apparently the 64bit version of Vista isn't so accommodating.
>
> Is there a way I can spoof these drivers so that Vista thinks they are
> signed (simply turn this off)?
>
>
>
> And yes, VMWare knows about this problem. They don't seem concerned as
> they simply say "VMware Server is not supported on Vista. You have to pay
> for Workstation instead". Assinine as Server is supported on virtually
> everything else (including WinXP, 2003, every flavor of Linux, etc).
>
> --
>
> + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
> Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes
> chris-barnes@tamu.edu Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes
Chris Barnes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Disable driver signing in Vista 64bit
Posted: 03-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Kerry Brown wrote:
> Press F8 on startup to get to the safe mode boot menu. One of the options is
> to allow unsigned drivers. This will get it installed. There is no way to
> make this permanent. Every time you want to use a program (VMWare Server)
> that needs an unsigned driver you have to reboot, press F8, and enable this
> option.
Just to make sure I understand - doing this is a normal Vista operation
with unsigned drivers (not safe mode), right? Are there any other
things turned off when in this mode?


Since I leave my computer running the vast majority of the time (and
only reboot when required by a software install/upgrade), then this
might indeed be a viable thing for me to do.

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes
chris-barnes@tamu.edu Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes
Kerry Brown
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Disable driver signing in Vista 64bit
Posted: 03-13-2008, 03:50 AM
"Chris Barnes" <chris-barnes@tamu.edu> wrote in message
news:%23kQe4$GhIHA.1132@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Kerry Brown wrote:
>> Press F8 on startup to get to the safe mode boot menu. One of the options
>> is to allow unsigned drivers. This will get it installed. There is no way
>> to make this permanent. Every time you want to use a program (VMWare
>> Server) that needs an unsigned driver you have to reboot, press F8, and
>> enable this option.
>
> Just to make sure I understand - doing this is a normal Vista operation
> with unsigned drivers (not safe mode), right? Are there any other things
> turned off when in this mode?
>
>
> Since I leave my computer running the vast majority of the time (and only
> reboot when required by a software install/upgrade), then this might
> indeed be a viable thing for me to do.
>

That's correct. This is not safe mode. It is regular mode with driver
signing turned off.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/



Andrew Davis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Disable driver signing in Vista 64bit
Posted: 03-26-2008, 06:54 AM
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 20:50:06 -0700, Kerry Brown wrote:
> That's correct. This is not safe mode. It is regular mode with driver
> signing turned off.
Is there a way to force it to stay off?

There used to be a command that you could run, but there were updates to
vista 64 that was included in SP1, which means that if I don't boot with
driver signing disabled, my soundcard does not work.

I had not had this problem before, since the command worked pre-SP1

--
Andrew Davis
IT Administrator
WestGate Church
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disable Device Driver Signing through Registry Damian Stalls Windows XP Device Drivers 1 03-17-2008 07:55 PM
Use XP driver in Vista? 32bit vs 64bit? Noozer Windows Vista Hardware & Devices 12 03-06-2007 11:56 PM
Update on Vista Driver Signing Bypass EU XP user Windows Vista Security 4 01-31-2007 04:54 AM
clp 500 driver for vista 64Bit Windows Vista Hardware & Devices 4 09-10-2006 01:38 AM
how to disable the driver signing component Gary Windows XP Embedded 0 07-21-2003 03:43 PM