Dual Boot XP & Vista

Posted: 07-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Hi there,

I have one hard drive with 2 Primary Partitions on the first (active)
partition I have installed XP Pro and on the second (hidden) partition I
have installed Vista Ultimate. I'm using a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R MB with
SATA HD and for some reason can't use PM Boot Magic 8.

Is there another way of dual booting other than having to use Partition
Magic via DOS to change the hidden partition to active and vice versa?

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.

Many thanks, Tim.


Dual Boot XP & Vista


Responses to "Dual Boot XP & Vista"

Generator
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Dual Boot XP & Vista
Posted: 07-04-2007, 09:17 PM

i am not sure why your partition is hidden,,i used acrondis disk
director suite 10...i created a active partition and installed vista
ultimate ,,then checked to make sure win xp was my default boot.. in
sys/startup and recovery tab.and when the screen starts it says earlier
windows os or vista ultimate and i boot into the one i want to use..i
tried partition magic and was confused..acronis tells you what partition
you want to create either for single os and data partion or dual os
boot..maybe someone that uses partiton magic can help you better. but
for me it was confusing to use. acronis is more user freindly i feel. i
am changing soon i am goning to install vista ultimate on clean install
and install xp on a partition i create either using vista shrink/ expand
or via setup if i can do.


--
Generator
Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Dual Boot XP & Vista
Posted: 07-05-2007, 06:25 AM

"Generator" <Generator.2t7u43@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:Generator.2t7u43@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> i am not sure why your partition is hidden,,i used acrondis disk
> director suite 10...i created a active partition and installed vista
> ultimate ,,then checked to make sure win xp was my default boot.. in
> sys/startup and recovery tab.and when the screen starts it says earlier
> windows os or vista ultimate and i boot into the one i want to use..i
> tried partition magic and was confused..acronis tells you what partition
> you want to create either for single os and data partion or dual os
> boot..maybe someone that uses partiton magic can help you better. but
> for me it was confusing to use. acronis is more user freindly i feel. i
> am changing soon i am goning to install vista ultimate on clean install
> and install xp on a partition i create either using vista shrink/ expand
> or via setup if i can do.
>
>
> --
> Generator
Hi there,

Managed to sort it almost made 2 partitions loaded XP on the first then
loaded Vista on the second partition and the Vista bootmanager then kicked
in so now I have the dual boot option.

Then I used VistaBootPro 3.3.0 to modify the OS names and all is working now
my only problem is that in Vista I can see the XP drive. In XP I've used
Tweak UI to prevent XP seeing the Vista drive.

Is there a way of not seeing the XP drive in Vista apart from using
Bitlocker?

Many thanks for your reply I must try Acronis it sounds like a useful tool.

Tim.



Don
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Dual Boot XP & Vista
Posted: 07-07-2007, 01:15 AM
Tim wrote:
....
> my only problem is that in Vista I can see the XP drive.
Why do you object to that? XP will delete Vista's restore points,
but not vice versa.
> In XP I've used Tweak UI to prevent XP seeing the Vista drive.
That's very interesting. The only way to hide the Vista partition
that has been mentioned here involves using third-party booters
which are able to set the 'hidden' bit in the partition table.
> Is there a way of not seeing the XP drive in Vista apart from using
> Bitlocker?
As I said above, there are third-party boot-loaders which can hide
any partition you wish in the partition table at boot time. I'd like
to know more about what Tweak UI does, though. AFAIK it only fiddles
the registry, not the partition table.
> Many thanks for your reply I must try Acronis it sounds like a useful tool.
Indeed. They allow a 30-day free trial download -- but I like it enough
that I bought it.

Richard Urban
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Dual Boot XP & Vista
Posted: 07-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Primary DOS partitions, containing operating systems, can be hidden from one
another. Then, by using a 3rd party boot manager, you unhide the one you
want to boot into. The other system is not seen, and therefore can not be
inadvertently damaged or corrupted by malware, which may attack the system
you ARE using.

To my way of thinking, it is the "only" way to set up a dual/multi boot
computer.

--


Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
(For email, remove the obvious from my address)



"Generator" <Generator.2t7u43@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:Generator.2t7u43@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> i am not sure why your partition is hidden,,i used acrondis disk
> director suite 10...i created a active partition and installed vista
> ultimate ,,then checked to make sure win xp was my default boot.. in
> sys/startup and recovery tab.and when the screen starts it says earlier
> windows os or vista ultimate and i boot into the one i want to use..i
> tried partition magic and was confused..acronis tells you what partition
> you want to create either for single os and data partion or dual os
> boot..maybe someone that uses partiton magic can help you better. but
> for me it was confusing to use. acronis is more user freindly i feel. i
> am changing soon i am goning to install vista ultimate on clean install
> and install xp on a partition i create either using vista shrink/ expand
> or via setup if i can do.
>
>
> --
> Generator
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista/XP Dual Boot - Keep Vista Restore Pts w/o Boot Mngt Program Charlye Windows Vista Performance & Maintenance 3 05-30-2007 01:43 PM
XP/Vista dual boot XP won't start from Vista boot manager newsnet@gmail.com Windows Vista Install & Setup 7 02-13-2007 07:42 PM
Dual Boot: boot.ini queston - also Vista swaps drive letter on partitions Holiday Windows Vista 5 10-13-2006 02:17 AM
dual boot but lost vista boot loader Chinnasamy Arumugam Windows Vista Install & Setup 3 07-23-2006 10:24 AM
Dual Boot -XP (Drive1), Vista(Drive3) - Vista Black Screen issue Coakeyoakey Windows Vista 2 06-05-2006 11:04 AM