external ip, using dsl

Posted: 08-05-2003, 05:23 PM
Hello,

I am annoyd by having to go to sites like
www.whatismyip.com because the status of my connection
only gives me the internal IP, I want the external IP and
I use DSL. Any ideas? Man, I am so close making Linux my
default OS because the features you really need in a OS,
lack in Windows, is not only the lack of features that
annoy me is the big security holes discovered in their OS
and yet to be found...

external ip, using dsl


Responses to "external ip, using dsl"

David Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
external ip, using dsl
Posted: 08-05-2003, 05:39 PM
Check your router, it will tell you your external IP.
Without any information on how your network is
configured, it is impossible to give you an answer.
>-----Original Message-----
>Hello,
>
>I am annoyd by having to go to sites like
>www.whatismyip.com because the status of my connection
>only gives me the internal IP, I want the external IP
and
>I use DSL. Any ideas? Man, I am so close making Linux my
>default OS because the features you really need in a OS,
>lack in Windows, is not only the lack of features that
>annoy me is the big security holes discovered in their
OS
>and yet to be found...
>.
>
Ron Lowe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: external ip, using dsl
Posted: 08-05-2003, 05:42 PM
"rusty0412" <rusty0412@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:0eb301c35b76$5407c610$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> Hello,
>
> I am annoyd by having to go to sites like
> www.whatismyip.com because the status of my connection
> only gives me the internal IP, I want the external IP and
> I use DSL. Any ideas? Man, I am so close making Linux my
> default OS because the features you really need in a OS,
> lack in Windows, is not only the lack of features that
> annoy me is the big security holes discovered in their OS
> and yet to be found...
Since you say Internal IP, I presume you are using a NAT router?

In which case, this is nothing to do with your OS.
Linux would report the same internal IP.

The only way to get your External IP is to either:
Query an external site like you are doing, or
Query the router either on a web-based status page or SNMP if the router
supports it.

Incidentally, more features = >more bugs and attack x-section ( in any
code ).

--
Best Regards,
Ron Lowe
MS-MVP Windows Networking


rusty0412
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
external ip, using dsl
Posted: 08-05-2003, 06:05 PM
I use a DLink DI-614+ rev.B1, which is a 4 port switch and
has a WAP built in. It connects to my DSL modem. The
router doesn't knows which is the external IP, because it
has an internal IP. The difference between linux and
windows is that you can ask someone from Mandrake, Red Hat
to add that feature or develop it yourself using the
freely available source code.
[BnH]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: external ip, using dsl
Posted: 08-16-2003, 02:02 AM
Check again and look closely.

It is somewhere inside the Advance [or the furthest tab] in the router.
The IP is written on top of the connect / disconnect button.

=bob=



"rusty0412" <rusty0412@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:00a901c35b7c$162bd6f0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> I use a DLink DI-614+ rev.B1, which is a 4 port switch and
> has a WAP built in. It connects to my DSL modem. The
> router doesn't knows which is the external IP, because it
> has an internal IP. The difference between linux and
> windows is that you can ask someone from Mandrake, Red Hat
> to add that feature or develop it yourself using the
> freely available source code.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
External HDD ahamami Windows XP Configuration & Management 1 08-15-2005 06:57 AM
ZIP 100 external parallel - XP Ewa Windows XP Device Drivers 1 01-18-2005 10:37 AM
external harddrive does not appear! Jim Windows XP Device Drivers 3 02-19-2004 12:00 PM
External recording esanch2@aol.com Windows XP Music 1 12-02-2003 03:41 AM
Cannot Share an external HD Greg Darke Windows XP Network & Web 1 07-01-2003 09:33 AM