Find any file containing a string?

Posted: 10-06-2008, 10:39 PM
The search function in Vista seems like a step backwards from XP...

How can I search for a file that contains the string "TSID", when I don't
know the file type? The Vista search function does NOT index all files and
even the files it does index don't have the contents as searchable.

I've looked in the indexing settings in the control panel and I can't see
any easy way to select all and enable indexing or enable searching the
contents of the files. Do I have to manually go through every file type and
change the settings, one at a time? Do I need to do this every time after I
install a program to make sure that any file type references by that program
and included?

With the default installation, Vista won't even index a .log file.

How can I search all files for one containing "TSID"

Thanks!

Find any file containing a string?


Responses to "Find any file containing a string?"

Paul MontDenturesDropped
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Find any file containing a string?
Posted: 10-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Calab wrote:
> The search function in Vista seems like a step backwards from XP...
>
> How can I search for a file that contains the string "TSID", when I
> don't know the file type? The Vista search function does NOT index all
> files and even the files it does index don't have the contents as
> searchable.
>
> I've looked in the indexing settings in the control panel and I can't
> see any easy way to select all and enable indexing or enable searching
> the contents of the files. Do I have to manually go through every file
> type and change the settings, one at a time? Do I need to do this every
> time after I install a program to make sure that any file type
> references by that program and included?
No, leave it alone.
>
> With the default installation, Vista won't even index a .log file.
If you know how to use the search, it will find anything you're looking for.
>
> How can I search all files for one containing "TSID"
You go to Control Panel/Folder Options, to the Search tab and select
"Always search by file name and content".

You will then be able to search by file content.

Now, you can use the Search box off of the Start button and enter what
you're looking for with the search. You can also select Search Everywhere.

You can also use the Advanced Search by using the Windows-key/F-key
combination.

In the Adv Search, you can check mark on "Include non indexed and hidden
files and go to the Location box and select what locations to search in
with the search.

You'll see a pane on the left side during the search, which you can use
to search by folder level.

You can use booleans like AND, NOT, OR, EQUAL in the search criteria,
but you'll have to use Google to look this information up about the
Search so that you get a better understanding on how to do it.

If you do the search from the search box on Explore, then you can go to
Adv. Search from there too.

Also while in the Adv Search, you can use the Alt-key to pull-up more
menu options.
Calab
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Find any file containing a string?
Posted: 10-06-2008, 11:42 PM

"Paul MontDenturesDropped" <Paul@MontDenturesDropped.com> wrote in message
news:eny9CjAKJHA.4940@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Calab wrote:
>> The search function in Vista seems like a step backwards from XP...
>>
>> How can I search for a file that contains the string "TSID", when I don't
>> know the file type? The Vista search function does NOT index all files
>> and even the files it does index don't have the contents as
> If you know how to use the search, it will find anything you're looking
> for.
>>
>> How can I search all files for one containing "TSID"
>
> You go to Control Panel/Folder Options, to the Search tab and select
> "Always search by file name and content".
>
> You will then be able to search by file content.
So, after that change, Vista will even search .DLL and .EXE files to see if
they contain "TSID"?

Paul MontDenturesDropped
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Find any file containing a string?
Posted: 10-06-2008, 11:56 PM
Calab wrote:
>
> "Paul MontDenturesDropped" <Paul@MontDenturesDropped.com> wrote in
> message news:eny9CjAKJHA.4940@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Calab wrote:
>>> The search function in Vista seems like a step backwards from XP...
>>>
>>> How can I search for a file that contains the string "TSID", when I
>>> don't know the file type? The Vista search function does NOT index
>>> all files and even the files it does index don't have the contents as
>
>> If you know how to use the search, it will find anything you're
>> looking for.
>>>
>>> How can I search all files for one containing "TSID"
>>
>> You go to Control Panel/Folder Options, to the Search tab and select
>> "Always search by file name and content".
>>
>> You will then be able to search by file content.
>
> So, after that change, Vista will even search .DLL and .EXE files to see
> if they contain "TSID"?
Exe(s) and DLL(s) are binary files. However, if they have the string in
the files some kind of way, then it should locate them.
Richard Urban
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Find any file containing a string?
Posted: 10-07-2008, 06:15 AM
Are you sure you want to tie up your computer by searching through .exe
files that can be maybe 100 meg in size for a string?

Search by string is basically for searching text files that may be 1-2 meg
in size - unless you are writing a novel. Of course, you may have special
needs.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience


"Calab" <myspam@csd.ca> wrote in message
news:e9Zkz0AKJHA.920@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>
> "Paul MontDenturesDropped" <Paul@MontDenturesDropped.com> wrote in message
> news:eny9CjAKJHA.4940@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Calab wrote:
>>> The search function in Vista seems like a step backwards from XP...
>>>
>>> How can I search for a file that contains the string "TSID", when I
>>> don't know the file type? The Vista search function does NOT index all
>>> files and even the files it does index don't have the contents as
>
>> If you know how to use the search, it will find anything you're looking
>> for.
>>>
>>> How can I search all files for one containing "TSID"
>>
>> You go to Control Panel/Folder Options, to the Search tab and select
>> "Always search by file name and content".
>>
>> You will then be able to search by file content.
>
> So, after that change, Vista will even search .DLL and .EXE files to see
> if they contain "TSID"?
+Bob+
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Find any file containing a string?
Posted: 10-07-2008, 07:31 PM
On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 17:42:29 -0600, "Calab" <myspam@csd.ca> wrote:
>So, after that change, Vista will even search .DLL and .EXE files to see if
>they contain "TSID"?

Best choice: Install "Agent Ransack" (google it). Use that instead.

Disable the windows indexing service for good measure.
Duane Hebert
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Find any file containing a string?
Posted: 10-07-2008, 07:53 PM
"+Bob+" <uctraing@ultranet.com> wrote in message
news:g7ene4hofc0qjo18aut7mhcn2hnm1bm3sq@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 17:42:29 -0600, "Calab" <myspam@csd.ca> wrote:
>
>>So, after that change, Vista will even search .DLL and .EXE files to see
>>if
>>they contain "TSID"?
>
>
> Best choice: Install "Agent Ransack" (google it). Use that instead.
>
> Disable the windows indexing service for good measure.

thanks for the link. been looking for a grep with a gui and regexp
for a while...

+Bob+
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Find any file containing a string?
Posted: 10-08-2008, 01:33 AM
On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 15:53:28 -0400, "Duane Hebert" <spoo@flarn.com>
wrote:
>> Best choice: Install "Agent Ransack" (google it). Use that instead.
>>
>> Disable the windows indexing service for good measure.
>
>
>thanks for the link. been looking for a grep with a gui and regexp
>for a while...
If you're into regexp's it's an excellent tool!
Duane Hebert
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Find any file containing a string?
Posted: 10-08-2008, 12:41 PM
"+Bob+" <uctraing@ultranet.com> wrote in message
news:ce3oe416m4b75oijnetiuv6ebdg35ksmup@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 15:53:28 -0400, "Duane Hebert" <spoo@flarn.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> Best choice: Install "Agent Ransack" (google it). Use that instead.
>>>
>>> Disable the windows indexing service for good measure.
>>
>>
>>thanks for the link. been looking for a grep with a gui and regexp
>>for a while...
>
> If you're into regexp's it's an excellent tool!

Seems to be fine. It even finds files in my SVN repo.
And the price is great.

John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Find any file containing a string?
Posted: 10-17-2008, 09:43 AM
If vista is so good why should someone have to buy extra software to do
simple tasks like look for a file?

"+Bob+" wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 17:42:29 -0600, "Calab" <myspam@csd.ca> wrote:
>
> >So, after that change, Vista will even search .DLL and .EXE files to see if
> >they contain "TSID"?
>
>
> Best choice: Install "Agent Ransack" (google it). Use that instead.
>
> Disable the windows indexing service for good measure.
>
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I just can't find the place to put my fax initialization string... G.Ashok Windows XP Printers / Scanners / Fax 0 05-28-2006 05:03 AM
Bullshit...I just can't find the place to put my fax initialization string... G.Ashok Windows XP Printers / Scanners / Fax 0 05-27-2006 01:03 PM
Find string within string Francis Hookam Mac Office Excel 1 01-02-2005 04:38 PM
[gentoo-dev] New find string? Grant Goodyear Gentoo Linux 1 07-08-2004 03:00 PM
Concate String in Batch File sbubendorf@fargotank.com Windows XP Setup 2 10-29-2003 02:14 PM