Folder view keeps changing

Posted: 09-01-2008, 04:50 PM
I have a small, but irritating problem. The problem I have is the view of
the folder keeps changing.
I know that it is not a big problem, but it is something I would like to
sort out either way.

Many thanks in advance.

NIK

Folder view keeps changing


Responses to "Folder view keeps changing"

Brink
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Folder view keeps changing
Posted: 09-01-2008, 08:07 PM

Hello NIK,

Doing Method Two in this tutorial will help Vista remember your folder
view settings for a window for when it was last closed.


http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70...-settings.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

Nicholas Hall;825747 Wrote:
> I have a small, but irritating problem. The problem I have is the view
> of
> the folder keeps changing.
> I know that it is not a big problem, but it is something I would like
> to
> sort out either way.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> NIK

--
Brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
them.*
'*VISTA FORUMS*' (http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
fanless
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Folder view keeps changing
Posted: 09-04-2008, 10:16 PM

hi,
I'm just new to vista (one day), after having been using XP for years.
I organize my desktop with folders (shortcuts to folders) contanining
many things, mainly shortcuts to doc files, programs, and folders
through explorer commands with /root option to limit access to some
directories.
I have the same problem as everybody (folder settings lost) but the
procedure that has been described many times does not really work (I
also have tried a reg file with all the necessary commands) . I have
tried many times without success

the simple operation to do is:
- create an empty folder on the desktop
- open it
- set its settings to no navigation panel, medium size icons
- copy a shortcut to file explorer into the folder
- launch the shortcut : explorer shows a left panel
- when I select any folder in the left panel, the panel disapears
- then I set it again to be displayed
- I close the explorer
- I close the desktop folder
- and now, when I reopen it, there is a left panel opened.

The purpose of the desktop folder I use (or it can be a shortcut to a
folder), is to store only shrtcuts, so I dont need any navigation panel,
menu bar, CDrom burn button, search panel, and so on.
I'm afraid this is not possible, and I'm afraid too that vista will
offer me many problems soon, assuming that such a 'folder settings
management' problem has not yet been resolved since Vista was released
..... which other thing will be blocking next for my XP running tools
(I'm working with GCC, Eclipse, GDB, TCPIP development, and many other
.... )
and will we be sure that a future Service pack will fix the bug ?

I wish my small test can help , but I would like to have another
solution to manage my desktop, without having to by a third party
manager.

I'm close to reinstall XP on the computer, I have spend too much time
for now.

Post-Scriptum : is it an Explorer problem too : when I right-clik /
new/ folder or text file, on a right pane of file explorer, sometimes
nothing appears, I must refresh with F5 ?
and again another thing : I cannot suppress the menu bar in the
explorer, however I already have seen it working today ....

what can we do........

regards,
Jean-Luc


--
fanless
DDW
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Folder view keeps changing
Posted: 09-04-2008, 11:52 PM
fanless <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:
>I'm close to reinstall XP on the computer, I have spend too much time
>for now.
One day's experience with Vista?

If you're THAT impatient, you probably SHOULD.

One day.

Hmmph.

DDW
--
Reply via this group
No email please
Brink
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Folder view keeps changing
Posted: 09-05-2008, 01:22 AM

Hello Jean-Luc,

The Navigation pane is tied to the folder template in Windows Explorer.
If you turn it on or off in a Windows Explorer window that has one
template type (ex: All Items), then all Windows Explorer windows with
that same template will be affected too. Only the ones that have
different folder templates will not be affected. You would need to make
sure that the folder on your desktop has a different folder template
than the other ones for it to stay off in while on in the others. This
tutorial will help explain more about this.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69...-explorer.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

fanless;828344 Wrote:
> hi,
> I'm just new to vista (one day), after having been using XP for years.
> I organize my desktop with folders (shortcuts to folders) contanining
> many things, mainly shortcuts to doc files, programs, and folders
> through explorer commands with /root option to limit access to some
> directories.
> I have the same problem as everybody (folder settings lost) but the
> procedure that has been described many times does not really work (I
> also have tried a reg file with all the necessary commands) . I have
> tried many times without success
>
> the simple operation to do is:
> - create an empty folder on the desktop
> - open it
> - set its settings to no navigation panel, medium size icons
> - copy a shortcut to file explorer into the folder
> - launch the shortcut : explorer shows a left panel
> - when I select any folder in the left panel, the panel disapears
> - then I set it again to be displayed
> - I close the explorer
> - I close the desktop folder
> - and now, when I reopen it, there is a left panel opened.
>
> The purpose of the desktop folder I use (or it can be a shortcut to a
> folder), is to store only shrtcuts, so I dont need any navigation panel,
> menu bar, CDrom burn button, search panel, and so on.
> I'm afraid this is not possible, and I'm afraid too that vista will
> offer me many problems soon, assuming that such a 'folder settings
> management' problem has not yet been resolved since Vista was released
> .... which other thing will be blocking next for my XP running tools
> (I'm working with GCC, Eclipse, GDB, TCPIP development, and many other
> ... )
> and will we be sure that a future Service pack will fix the bug ?
>
> I wish my small test can help , but I would like to have another
> solution to manage my desktop, without having to by a third party
> manager.
>
> I'm close to reinstall XP on the computer, I have spend too much time
> for now.
>
> Post-Scriptum : is it an Explorer problem too : when I right-clik /
> new/ folder or text file, on a right pane of file explorer, sometimes
> nothing appears, I must refresh with F5 ?
> and again another thing : I cannot suppress the menu bar in the
> explorer, however I already have seen it working today ....
>
> what can we do........
>
> regards,
> Jean-Luc

--
Brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
them.*
'*VISTA FORUMS*' (http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
fanless
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Folder view keeps changing
Posted: 09-05-2008, 09:06 AM

hi Shawn,

I have understood the theory of folder templates (however I cannot find
more than 5, maybe the french version ? : all elements, documents,
images & videos, music details, music file icons.)

When I create my holding desktop folder, I give it the 'images&videos'
template, disable the navigation pane and select medium icons.

when I insert the shortcut to explorer in it, I give the explorer, once
opened, the 'document' template, with navigation pane ON.
Then I close the desktop folder, open it again, open the explorer
shortcut, it opens normally with navigation pane, but when I select a
folder in the navigation pane, the pane closes. If I ask to open it
again with the 'organize' menu, then it will be my desktop container
folder which will open a navigation pane too !

I have made another try : adding a shortcut whith th following command > %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,/root,"d:\datasheets" into my desktop folder, and here is the message when I first rightclick
on the window to personnalize :
[image:
http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.p...&d=1220604876]

Once I have selected a folder on the navigation pane, the
personalization window appears normally.
can you try the same operation and tell me the behavior on your
computer, (if you have a little time to lose) it simple to implement
.....
I dont understand why, at a moment, I had only one choice, navigation
pane, in the organize menu.

Jean-Luc


+-------------------------------------------------------------------+
|Filename: error not implemented.jpg |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.p...achmentid=6300 |
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+

--
fanless
Brink
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Folder view keeps changing
Posted: 09-05-2008, 05:35 PM

Jean-Luc

It's all tied into the folder view settings per separate window an
template. Apply Method Two in this tutoral to reset the folder views t
help Vista remember your settings per window for when you last close
the window. You will need to make the change per open location for tha
folder. (ex: Start menu, folder tree, Computer, etc...

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70...w-settings.htm

Hope this helps
Shaw

--
Brin

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not as
them.*
'*VISTA FORUMS*' (http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
fanless
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Folder view keeps changing
Posted: 09-05-2008, 08:16 PM

Shawn

thank you for these informations. I've just done the operations severa
time again, following the tutorials, it does not work

I've run the reg file, rebooted the computer, check the general folde
options (ok)
if I set the template of a shortcut to explorer, opened for instance o
drive D, to 'document', it works correctly.
as soon as I set the template of another folder to 'images' or 'musi
icons', the preceding explorer shortcut does not work again : selectin
a folder in the navigation pane closes the navigation pane
I cannot make it work, you should try to do the same processing,
think it cannot work
The computer is a brand new one, vista has just been installed on it

I have worked on XP and former windows versions with such folder usage
if did work everytime
it's absolutely necessary that microsoft correct this, it's no
possible do make these acrobatic manipulations to manage folders

Jean-Lu

--
fanless
Brink
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Folder view keeps changing
Posted: 09-05-2008, 08:53 PM

I agree that it needs to be fixed. The whole folder view situation is
just to flakey in Vista. I just does not look like you will be able to
get to work the way you want it to until they can get this fixed.

Sorry,
Shawn


--
Brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
them.*
'*VISTA FORUMS*' (http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Wandering
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Folder view keeps changing
Posted: 09-05-2008, 09:38 PM

"fanless" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:7b07e73382d52e604031216fc9ccac48@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> Shawn,
>
> thank you for these informations. I've just done the operations several
> time again, following the tutorials, it does not work !
>
> I've run the reg file, rebooted the computer, check the general folder
> options (ok).
> if I set the template of a shortcut to explorer, opened for instance on
> drive D, to 'document', it works correctly.
> as soon as I set the template of another folder to 'images' or 'music
> icons', the preceding explorer shortcut does not work again : selecting
> a folder in the navigation pane closes the navigation pane.
> I cannot make it work, you should try to do the same processing, I
> think it cannot work.
> The computer is a brand new one, vista has just been installed on it.
>
> I have worked on XP and former windows versions with such folder usage,
> if did work everytime.
> it's absolutely necessary that microsoft correct this, it's not
> possible do make these acrobatic manipulations to manage folders.
>
> Jean-Luc
>
>
> --
> fanless
I can certainly understand your desire that the folder properties are stable
in use. But this is not Microsoft you are talking to. We are a bunch of
users (peers) who try to help when we can.

I must say you have had extraordinary luck in your statement about prior
versions being as stable as you wish. I have used every version of Windows
since 3.11, and I have never found any version that would retain all folder
settings for any significant time. Resetting folder properties is a way of
life in Windows. I hope someone here can suggest a fix for your problem, but
frankly I doubt it, nor do I believe that XP "worked every time!" It
certainly didn't in the fourteen XP machines I was responsible for. Nor was
there a patch or fix for it in XP. Good luck!

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why does the Vista Gamnes folder keepo changing the view setting? Robert Ford Windows Vista Games 0 06-08-2008 02:05 AM
812003 - How to modify your folder view settings or to customize a folder Jerry S. Customize Windows XP 9 09-09-2004 06:03 AM
Changing the view Ellen Murphy Customize Windows XP 2 11-01-2003 07:09 PM
XP Explorer - Changing folder icon makes folder read only Gill Customize Windows XP 11 09-15-2003 12:33 PM
Changing Folder View For All Folders Robert Byer Customize Windows XP 8 08-23-2003 07:32 AM