Half-Life 2 failed to load and crashing once loaded [RESOLVED]

Posted: 12-23-2008, 08:06 PM

So I just built a new system, installing Vista Business 64bit to tak
full advantage of DX10 and large amounts of memory. Not having man
games lying around, I decided to download steam and install Half Life 2

If you are reading this, and using a 64bit edition of windows, then m
guess is you are having problems with Half Life 2. I encountered tw
problems, and after a few hours was able to solve both of them

PROBLEM 1: GAME HANGS ON INITIAL LOAD (BLURRY IMAGE SCREEN

- Symptoms

- "64-bit" message was at top of scree
- game never loade


- Potential cause

- It seems that while steam intended HL2 to have a 64bit edition
with an update along the line (maybe with the release of Left4Dea
according to others) the support was broken and the game doesn'
load


- Fix

- Unfortunately, the fix removes the 64bit potential. In steam
right click half life 2, and select <Properties>
- From the dialogue box, click <Set Launch Options...
- Enter "-32bit" and select <OK



This got HL2 to load, where upon playing I encountered problem numbe
2

PROBLEM 2: GAMEPLAY CAUSES FULL SYSTEM HAN

- Symptoms

- After playing for less than 5 minutes, the game would crash an
the three fingered salute (ctrl+alt+del) couldn't get me out of it
The crash caused a full system hang that required a hard-reboo


- Potential Causes

- While from Problem 1 we are running in 32bit mode instead o
64bit, we are still running Vista


- Fix

- Go to the HL2 executable, by default [-Program File
(x86)\Steam\steamapps\<your user name>\half-life 2-
- right click on hl2.exe and select <Properties
- select the second tab, "Compatibility
- check the box for <Run this program in compatibility mode for:
- select <Windows XP (Service Pack 2)> from the drop down men
- select <Apply> then <OK



This means that we are taking a 64bit Vista compatible game, an
running it as a 32bit XP game

After these two fixes, I was able to set my video settings to max (
thought this was the original problem) and play the game withou
interruption. Hopefully steam and/or windows will fix this bug and I ca
return to the intended game settings, but do note that steam says o
their website that 64bit save files are not compatible with 32bit gam
mode. While mathematically, you should be able to load a 32bit save fil
into the 64bit game (as long as it substitutes 0x0 for the upper 32bits
I have no idea if they will support it. Oh well, another excuse to pla
through one of the greatest games to date (in my opinion!

--
ltspicoli

Half-Life 2 failed to load and crashing once loaded [RESOLVED]


Responses to "Half-Life 2 failed to load and crashing once loaded [RESOLVED]"

Mark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Half-Life 2 failed to load and crashing once loaded [RESOLVED]
Posted: 12-24-2008, 12:03 AM
Well done solving the problems!


Mark


"ltspicoli" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:71bda32f90e1512dd5c05181a89bdee3@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> So I just built a new system, installing Vista Business 64bit to take
> full advantage of DX10 and large amounts of memory. Not having many
> games lying around, I decided to download steam and install Half Life 2.
>
> If you are reading this, and using a 64bit edition of windows, then my
> guess is you are having problems with Half Life 2. I encountered two
> problems, and after a few hours was able to solve both of them.
>
> PROBLEM 1: GAME HANGS ON INITIAL LOAD (BLURRY IMAGE SCREEN)
>
> - Symptoms:
>
> - "64-bit" message was at top of screen
> - game never loaded
>
>
> - Potential cause:
>
> - It seems that while steam intended HL2 to have a 64bit edition,
> with an update along the line (maybe with the release of Left4Dead
> according to others) the support was broken and the game doesn't
> load.
>
>
> - Fix:
>
> - Unfortunately, the fix removes the 64bit potential. In steam,
> right click half life 2, and select <Properties>.
> - From the dialogue box, click <Set Launch Options...>
> - Enter "-32bit" and select <OK>
>
>
>
> This got HL2 to load, where upon playing I encountered problem number
> 2.
>
> PROBLEM 2: GAMEPLAY CAUSES FULL SYSTEM HANG
>
> - Symptoms:
>
> - After playing for less than 5 minutes, the game would crash and
> the three fingered salute (ctrl+alt+del) couldn't get me out of it.
> The crash caused a full system hang that required a hard-reboot
>
>
> - Potential Causes:
>
> - While from Problem 1 we are running in 32bit mode instead of
> 64bit, we are still running Vista.
>
>
> - Fix:
>
> - Go to the HL2 executable, by default [-Program Files
> (x86)\Steam\steamapps\<your user name>\half-life 2-]
> - right click on hl2.exe and select <Properties>
> - select the second tab, "Compatibility"
> - check the box for <Run this program in compatibility mode for:>
> - select <Windows XP (Service Pack 2)> from the drop down menu
> - select <Apply> then <OK>
>
>
>
> This means that we are taking a 64bit Vista compatible game, and
> running it as a 32bit XP game.
>
> After these two fixes, I was able to set my video settings to max (I
> thought this was the original problem) and play the game without
> interruption. Hopefully steam and/or windows will fix this bug and I can
> return to the intended game settings, but do note that steam says on
> their website that 64bit save files are not compatible with 32bit game
> mode. While mathematically, you should be able to load a 32bit save file
> into the 64bit game (as long as it substitutes 0x0 for the upper 32bits)
> I have no idea if they will support it. Oh well, another excuse to play
> through one of the greatest games to date (in my opinion!)
>
>
> --
> ltspicoli
David B.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Half-Life 2 failed to load and crashing once loaded [RESOLVED]
Posted: 12-24-2008, 04:09 PM
He didn't solve them, I found this fix months ago, likely he was just
posting what he found for the benefit of others.

--

----
Crosspost, do not multipost http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm



"Mark" <mark_butler@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:O6IVMsVZJHA.3844@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Well done solving the problems!
>
>
> Mark
>
>
> "ltspicoli" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
> news:71bda32f90e1512dd5c05181a89bdee3@nntp-gateway.com...
>>
>> So I just built a new system, installing Vista Business 64bit to take
>> full advantage of DX10 and large amounts of memory. Not having many
>> games lying around, I decided to download steam and install Half Life 2.
>>
>> If you are reading this, and using a 64bit edition of windows, then my
>> guess is you are having problems with Half Life 2. I encountered two
>> problems, and after a few hours was able to solve both of them.
>>
>> PROBLEM 1: GAME HANGS ON INITIAL LOAD (BLURRY IMAGE SCREEN)
>>
>> - Symptoms:
>>
>> - "64-bit" message was at top of screen
>> - game never loaded
>>
>>
>> - Potential cause:
>>
>> - It seems that while steam intended HL2 to have a 64bit edition,
>> with an update along the line (maybe with the release of Left4Dead
>> according to others) the support was broken and the game doesn't
>> load.
>>
>>
>> - Fix:
>>
>> - Unfortunately, the fix removes the 64bit potential. In steam,
>> right click half life 2, and select <Properties>.
>> - From the dialogue box, click <Set Launch Options...>
>> - Enter "-32bit" and select <OK>
>>
>>
>>
>> This got HL2 to load, where upon playing I encountered problem number
>> 2.
>>
>> PROBLEM 2: GAMEPLAY CAUSES FULL SYSTEM HANG
>>
>> - Symptoms:
>>
>> - After playing for less than 5 minutes, the game would crash and
>> the three fingered salute (ctrl+alt+del) couldn't get me out of it.
>> The crash caused a full system hang that required a hard-reboot
>>
>>
>> - Potential Causes:
>>
>> - While from Problem 1 we are running in 32bit mode instead of
>> 64bit, we are still running Vista.
>>
>>
>> - Fix:
>>
>> - Go to the HL2 executable, by default [-Program Files
>> (x86)\Steam\steamapps\<your user name>\half-life 2-]
>> - right click on hl2.exe and select <Properties>
>> - select the second tab, "Compatibility"
>> - check the box for <Run this program in compatibility mode for:>
>> - select <Windows XP (Service Pack 2)> from the drop down menu
>> - select <Apply> then <OK>
>>
>>
>>
>> This means that we are taking a 64bit Vista compatible game, and
>> running it as a 32bit XP game.
>>
>> After these two fixes, I was able to set my video settings to max (I
>> thought this was the original problem) and play the game without
>> interruption. Hopefully steam and/or windows will fix this bug and I can
>> return to the intended game settings, but do note that steam says on
>> their website that 64bit save files are not compatible with 32bit game
>> mode. While mathematically, you should be able to load a 32bit save file
>> into the 64bit game (as long as it substitutes 0x0 for the upper 32bits)
>> I have no idea if they will support it. Oh well, another excuse to play
>> through one of the greatest games to date (in my opinion!)
>>
>>
>> --
>> ltspicoli
>
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Half Life 2 in RC2 Ray Windows Vista 1 10-09-2006 03:14 PM
Half Life 2 jon Windows Vista Games 9 09-06-2006 03:01 PM
Half-Life 2 Jim Brown Windows XP Games 3 03-20-2005 09:59 AM
ati and half life Edward Fitzgerald Windows XP Games 1 12-08-2003 03:52 AM
half-life edward Windows XP Games 5 11-05-2003 07:07 PM