How to assign a static IP to both wired and wireless adapters?

Posted: 01-29-2009, 07:41 PM
In my XP days I would assign each of my laptop's network adapters (wired and
wireless) its own static IP address. I did this to make it easier to manage
things like opening certain ports when using the laptop for gaming over the
wired connection only.

Now that I have an all Vista home network consisting of a laptop and a
desktop both with Vista Home Premium I am running into trouble assigning
these static IPs on the laptop. The primary connection is the wireless and i
use the wired connection to game or to transfer files across the network.
When I go to set the IP on the wired connection I get the message:
"Warning: Multiple default gateways are intended to provide redundancy to a
single network such as and Intranet or the Internet. They will not function
properly when the gateways are on two separate, disjoint networks (such as
one on your intranet and one on the Internet). Do you want to save this
configuration?"

Now the default gateway is the same for both connections, my FIOS router, if
I force my way past the above message and set up the IP I can no longer
connect to the internet with the wired connection. Does Vista allow you to
define the default gateway on only ONE of your adapters? I'm wondering if I
just set the IP and subnet but leave the default gateway field blank would it
work?

Like I said this is with a FIOS actiontec mi424wr router and I am trying to
set it up like this:

Wireless adapter: IP 192.168.1.3, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gateway
192.168.1.1, DNS server 192.168.1.1

Wired adapter: IP 192.168.1.4, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1,
DNS 192.168.1.1

It's not a big deal to just use DHCP for one of the connections but I am
just curious if this is an error or just some new functionality in Vista that
was not present in XP

Thanks

How to assign a static IP to both wired and wireless adapters?


Responses to "How to assign a static IP to both wired and wireless adapters?"

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: How to assign a static IP to both wired and wireless adapters?
Posted: 01-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Hi
I am not familiar with FIOS per-se-se but Static IP in Vista should work the
same as in XP.
The menus look a little nicer, and the way to get them is different, but the
principle is the same.
Using DHCP usually makes it easier to maintain the Network. The best
solution is to get a Cable/DSL Router that doses DHCP Reservation (Aka
Static DHCP). With such Router you can reserve IP to specific computers so
though they are on DHCP they always get the same IP. Many Entry Level
Wireless Router can do this.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"Nih" <Nih@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:7A28F5AC-EA80-4F58-A981-6785EC063C18@microsoft.com...
> In my XP days I would assign each of my laptop's network adapters (wired
> and
> wireless) its own static IP address. I did this to make it easier to
> manage
> things like opening certain ports when using the laptop for gaming over
> the
> wired connection only.
>
> Now that I have an all Vista home network consisting of a laptop and a
> desktop both with Vista Home Premium I am running into trouble assigning
> these static IPs on the laptop. The primary connection is the wireless
> and i
> use the wired connection to game or to transfer files across the network.
> When I go to set the IP on the wired connection I get the message:
> "Warning: Multiple default gateways are intended to provide redundancy to
> a
> single network such as and Intranet or the Internet. They will not
> function
> properly when the gateways are on two separate, disjoint networks (such as
> one on your intranet and one on the Internet). Do you want to save this
> configuration?"
>
> Now the default gateway is the same for both connections, my FIOS router,
> if
> I force my way past the above message and set up the IP I can no longer
> connect to the internet with the wired connection. Does Vista allow you
> to
> define the default gateway on only ONE of your adapters? I'm wondering if
> I
> just set the IP and subnet but leave the default gateway field blank would
> it
> work?
>
> Like I said this is with a FIOS actiontec mi424wr router and I am trying
> to
> set it up like this:
>
> Wireless adapter: IP 192.168.1.3, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gateway
> 192.168.1.1, DNS server 192.168.1.1
>
> Wired adapter: IP 192.168.1.4, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1,
> DNS 192.168.1.1
>
> It's not a big deal to just use DHCP for one of the connections but I am
> just curious if this is an error or just some new functionality in Vista
> that
> was not present in XP
>
> Thanks
>
Nih
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: How to assign a static IP to both wired and wireless adapters?
Posted: 01-29-2009, 10:27 PM


"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
> Hi
> I am not familiar with FIOS per-se-se but Static IP in Vista should work the
> same as in XP.
What I am trying to say is it ISN'T working the same way as XP, by any
chance do you have both wired and wireless network adapters on the same
machine so you could try to assign the IPs like I described and see what you
get for a result? It's not FIOS issue, this is a warning/error from within
windows. I am using the same router as when I had an all XP network and did
not have this issue
John McGaw
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: How to assign a static IP to both wired and wireless adapters?
Posted: 01-29-2009, 11:38 PM
Nih wrote:
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> I am not familiar with FIOS per-se-se but Static IP in Vista should work the
>> same as in XP.
>
> What I am trying to say is it ISN'T working the same way as XP, by any
> chance do you have both wired and wireless network adapters on the same
> machine so you could try to assign the IPs like I described and see what you
> get for a result? It's not FIOS issue, this is a warning/error from within
> windows. I am using the same router as when I had an all XP network and did
> not have this issue
I tried it with my Vista laptop -- wired and wireless. After numerous error
messages and oddly-behaved network connections I gave it a pass and leave
both interfaces set for DHCP for now. Maybe some day when I'm in a
sufficiently Zen mood I'll give it a go again. Good luck with it. Maybe
someone will come up with an answer that works for both of us.

--
John McGaw
http://johnmcgaw.com
+Bob+
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: How to assign a static IP to both wired and wireless adapters?
Posted: 01-30-2009, 01:27 AM
On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 11:41:00 -0800, Nih
<Nih@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>It's not a big deal to just use DHCP for one of the connections but I am
>just curious if this is an error or just some new functionality in Vista that
>was not present in XP
More like vice versa - a lack of functionality in Vista that used to
be present in XP. Networking is AFU in a lot of areas of Vista.

That said, I'm fairly certain someone else here posted with your issue
and someone had a work around. You might try a search on "gateway" on
posts in the last three months in this group.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wireless dropouts and old adapters bensoir Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 1 06-14-2008 06:30 PM
Linksys wireless adapters mac Windows Vista Hardware & Devices 0 05-06-2007 01:56 PM
Wireless Adapters Doug Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 2 10-21-2006 06:22 PM
Any wireless adapters working Nigel Beardsley Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 7 10-12-2006 03:54 AM
Assign a Static Drive Letter Bo-bannie Customize Windows XP 1 08-09-2005 01:30 AM