How to shorten a spreadsheet

Posted: 03-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Gang,
I have a spreadsheet with a list, using List Manager. My list ends on
row 1143. However, if I pull the scroll bar down to the bottom of the
spreadsheet, it ends at row 9253. I can click the down arrow and
continue to display more rows.

This is a pain because it makes the scroll bar VERY sensitive to the
slightest movement when I'm trying to navigate my list.

My other spreadsheet files, also containing lists, do not do this.
There are just a few (maybe 50 or less) extra rows below the list, so
the scroll bar is much more useful.

I have looked over the problematic spreadsheet for an errant bit of info
entered in one of the very last cells (row ~9253) but can't find
anything to cause this. I also don't see any preferences related to how
many extra rows to display.

Anyone know how to fix this?

I'm using Excel 11.2 (Office 2004) under OS 10.3.9.

thanks!
_d

How to shorten a spreadsheet


Reply With Quote

Responses to "How to shorten a spreadsheet"

Bob Greenblatt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: How to shorten a spreadsheet
Posted: 03-01-2006, 10:14 PM
On 3/1/06 2:31 PM, in article [email protected],
"Posterizer" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Gang,
> I have a spreadsheet with a list, using List Manager. My list ends on
> row 1143. However, if I pull the scroll bar down to the bottom of the
> spreadsheet, it ends at row 9253. I can click the down arrow and
> continue to display more rows.
>
> This is a pain because it makes the scroll bar VERY sensitive to the
> slightest movement when I'm trying to navigate my list.
>
> My other spreadsheet files, also containing lists, do not do this.
> There are just a few (maybe 50 or less) extra rows below the list, so
> the scroll bar is much more useful.
>
> I have looked over the problematic spreadsheet for an errant bit of info
> entered in one of the very last cells (row ~9253) but can't find
> anything to cause this. I also don't see any preferences related to how
> many extra rows to display.
>
> Anyone know how to fix this?
>
> I'm using Excel 11.2 (Office 2004) under OS 10.3.9.
>
> thanks!
> _d
I answered this in the "Can no longer hide rows" thread. I explain how to
fix this there.

--
Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh
bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom

Reply With Quote
Slipface
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: How to shorten a spreadsheet
Posted: 03-02-2006, 02:20 AM
In article <C02B8711.658C6%[email protected]>, Bob Greenblatt
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I answered this in the "Can no longer hide rows" thread. I explain how to
> fix this there.
Still looking for a fix.
_d
Reply With Quote
Mike Middleton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: How to shorten a spreadsheet
Posted: 03-02-2006, 06:27 AM
_d -

Select rows 1144 through 9353. (Click the row number 1144 on the far left of
the sheet. Use the scroll bar to move down to row 9353. Hold down Shift, and
click row 9353.)

Delete the rows. (Edit | Delete.}

Save the workbook. (Or, Save As if you want to be careful.)

Close the workbook.

Open the saved workbook.

- Mike
www.mikemiddleton.com

"Posterizer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]..
> Gang,
> I have a spreadsheet with a list, using List Manager. My list ends on
> row 1143. However, if I pull the scroll bar down to the bottom of the
> spreadsheet, it ends at row 9253. I can click the down arrow and
> continue to display more rows.
>
> This is a pain because it makes the scroll bar VERY sensitive to the
> slightest movement when I'm trying to navigate my list.
>
> My other spreadsheet files, also containing lists, do not do this.
> There are just a few (maybe 50 or less) extra rows below the list, so
> the scroll bar is much more useful.
>
> I have looked over the problematic spreadsheet for an errant bit of info
> entered in one of the very last cells (row ~9253) but can't find
> anything to cause this. I also don't see any preferences related to how
> many extra rows to display.
>
> Anyone know how to fix this?
>
> I'm using Excel 11.2 (Office 2004) under OS 10.3.9.
>
> thanks!
> _d

Reply With Quote
Posterizer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: How to shorten a spreadsheet
Posted: 03-02-2006, 06:48 PM
In article <[email protected]>,
"Mike Middleton" <[email protected]> wrote:
> _d -
>
> Select rows 1144 through 9353. (Click the row number 1144 on the far left of
> the sheet. Use the scroll bar to move down to row 9353. Hold down Shift, and
> click row 9353.)
>
> Delete the rows. (Edit | Delete.}
>
Nothing happens at this point. The rows remain there, still selected
(faint blue highlighting).

Another thing too, when I scroll to the very last row, it technically
isn't the last row. If I click the down arrow key, it continues
displaying more and more rows. So technically I don't think I can click
on a "last" row.

thanks for the suggestion! Other ideas?
_d
Reply With Quote
Mike Middleton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: How to shorten a spreadsheet
Posted: 03-02-2006, 08:03 PM
_d -

You wrote: > Other ideas? <

Yes.

Follow all five steps of my original suggestion (below), instead of stopping
after you've followed only the first two.

- Mike
www.mikemiddleton.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Posterizer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]..
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Mike Middleton" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> _d -
>>
>> Select rows 1144 through 9353. (Click the row number 1144 on the far left
>> of
>> the sheet. Use the scroll bar to move down to row 9353. Hold down Shift,
>> and
>> click row 9353.)
>>
>> Delete the rows. (Edit | Delete.}
>>
>
> Nothing happens at this point. The rows remain there, still selected
> (faint blue highlighting).
>
> Another thing too, when I scroll to the very last row, it technically
> isn't the last row. If I click the down arrow key, it continues
> displaying more and more rows. So technically I don't think I can click
> on a "last" row.
>
> thanks for the suggestion! Other ideas?
> _d
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. Select rows 1144 through 9353. (Click the row number 1144 on the far left
of
the sheet. Use the scroll bar to move down to row 9353. Hold down Shift, and
click row 9353.)

2. Delete the rows. (Edit | Delete.}

3. Save the workbook. (Or, Save As if you want to be careful.)

4. Close the workbook.

5. Open the saved workbook.








Reply With Quote
Slipface
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: How to shorten a spreadsheet
Posted: 03-03-2006, 02:34 AM
In article <[email protected]>, Mike Middleton
<[email protected]> wrote:
> _d -
>
> You wrote: > Other ideas? <
>
> Yes.
>
> Follow all five steps of my original suggestion (below), instead of stopping
> after you've followed only the first two.
>
I tried all 5 steps, exactly as they were typed, and it didn't fix it.

In fact, opening the spreadsheet on this computer (home, as opposed to
work) shows row 15872 as the last row visible dragging the scroll bar.
Same version of Excel, but running under OS 10.4.5 here.

_d
Reply With Quote
Mike Middleton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: How to shorten a spreadsheet
Posted: 03-03-2006, 05:54 AM
_d -

Maybe an MVP's instructions will help:

http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused

- Mike

"Slipface" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:020320061834253832%[email protected]..
> In article <[email protected]>, Mike Middleton
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> _d -
>>
>> You wrote: > Other ideas? <
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> Follow all five steps of my original suggestion (below), instead of
>> stopping
>> after you've followed only the first two.
>>
>
> I tried all 5 steps, exactly as they were typed, and it didn't fix it.
>
> In fact, opening the spreadsheet on this computer (home, as opposed to
> work) shows row 15872 as the last row visible dragging the scroll bar.
> Same version of Excel, but running under OS 10.4.5 here.
>
> _d

Reply With Quote
PhilD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: How to shorten a spreadsheet
Posted: 03-03-2006, 08:24 AM

Posterizer wrote:
> Nothing happens at this point. The rows remain there, still selected
> (faint blue highlighting).
(I just posted this in thread "Can no longer hide rows", but I will
repeat it here).

I suspect it DID, actually, do something.

Firstly, if the entire row is selected, then you don't need "delete
row", just "delete", as the selection defines the row.

Secondly, when rows are deleted, the entire spreadsheet below the
deletion moves up and the same number of new rows are added at the
bottom of the sheet, so deleted rows are replaced by the same number of
rows from below the selection. If you delete "blank" rows (rows that
look blank, even if there is some invisible content) and they are
replaced by blank rows, it will look like nothing has happened. The
same number of rows remain selected.

PhilD

--
<><

Reply With Quote
Posterizer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: How to shorten a spreadsheet
Posted: 03-03-2006, 07:09 PM
In article <020320061834253832%[email protected]>,
Slipface <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> In fact, opening the spreadsheet on this computer (home, as opposed to
> work) shows row 15872 as the last row visible dragging the scroll bar.
> Same version of Excel, but running under OS 10.4.5 here.
Heh, now it's showing 16911 rows on my work computer. It just keeps
growing and growing. It's almost comical. At least these computers are
fast enough to use PageUp & PageDown keys to move around my list
quickly, without having to use the scroll bar.

_d
Reply With Quote
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shorten video Yeeman Windows XP Movie Maker 1 07-25-2008 04:15 PM
How to edit parts of movie to shorten it?? Newtechie Windows XP Movie Maker 0 01-16-2007 11:57 PM
Transitions shorten Clip Rach Windows XP Movie Maker 6 08-08-2005 03:49 PM
Shorten path to a file in location line? Spyder Customize Windows XP 3 04-16-2005 07:39 PM
Shorten path to a file in location line? Saboteur Windows XP Accessibility 1 04-12-2005 07:32 PM