Icacls.exe can be used for Registry modification?

Posted: 10-13-2008, 09:19 AM

Hi

Please tell me whether Icacls can be used for Registry permission
change in Windows Vista.
I want to restrict users from accessing specific registry hive. In XP,
I was using Subinacl.exe. The switch specified in sbuinacl is not
available with Icacls.

Please let me know, whether Icacls can be used for registry
restrictions or any other tool available for doing that in Windows
Vista.

Thanks in Advance,
Regards,
Asha


--
ashapadmanabhan

Icacls.exe can be used for Registry modification?


Responses to "Icacls.exe can be used for Registry modification?"

Mr. Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Icacls.exe can be used for Registry modification?
Posted: 10-13-2008, 01:19 PM

"ashapadmanabhan" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:cb542fab7b6bc9291f345b765ba3e8e6@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> Hi
>
> Please tell me whether Icacls can be used for Registry permission
> change in Windows Vista.
> I want to restrict users from accessing specific registry hive. In XP,
> I was using Subinacl.exe. The switch specified in sbuinacl is not
> available with Icacls.
>
> Please let me know, whether Icacls can be used for registry
> restrictions or any other tool available for doing that in Windows
> Vista.
>
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc753525.aspx

Maybe, you need to read this stuff on how Vista protects itself from users
by using UAC, Virtualization and WRP.

<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709691.aspx>
<http://news.softpedia.com/news/Admin-Approval-Mode-in-Windows-Vista-45312.shtml>
<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc138019.aspx>
<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc160882.aspx>
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa382503.aspx>




ashapadmanabhan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Icacls.exe can be used for Registry modification?
Posted: 10-13-2008, 02:07 PM

Thank you for your message,

In our customer environment, most of the users are administrators for
some purpose.
So we want to particularly restrict this registry hive.

Regards,
Asha


--
ashapadmanabhan
Jimmy Brush
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Icacls.exe can be used for Registry modification?
Posted: 10-13-2008, 10:11 PM
Hello,

icacls does not work on registry keys.

However, regini.exe does and is included with Vista, but it is not as
powerful or easy to use.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/264584

- JB


"ashapadmanabhan" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:cb542fab7b6bc9291f345b765ba3e8e6@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> Hi
>
> Please tell me whether Icacls can be used for Registry permission
> change in Windows Vista.
> I want to restrict users from accessing specific registry hive. In XP,
> I was using Subinacl.exe. The switch specified in sbuinacl is not
> available with Icacls.
>
> Please let me know, whether Icacls can be used for registry
> restrictions or any other tool available for doing that in Windows
> Vista.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> Regards,
> Asha
>
>
> --
> ashapadmanabhan
ashapadmanabhan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Icacls.exe can be used for Registry modification?
Posted: 10-14-2008, 09:08 AM

Jimmy Brush;732443 Wrote:
> Hello,
>
> icacls does not work on registry keys.
>
> However, regini.exe does and is included with Vista, but it is not as
> powerful or easy to use.
>
> 'How to change registry values or permissions from a command line or a
> script' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/264584)
>
> - JB
>
>
> "ashapadmanabhan" guest@unknown-email.com wrote in message
> news:cb542fab7b6bc9291f345b765ba3e8e6@nntp-gateway.com...-
>
> Hi
>
> Please tell me whether Icacls can be used for Registry permission
> change in Windows Vista.
> I want to restrict users from accessing specific registry hive. In
> XP,
> I was using Subinacl.exe. The switch specified in sbuinacl is not
> available with Icacls.
>
> Please let me know, whether Icacls can be used for registry
> restrictions or any other tool available for doing that in Windows
> Vista.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> Regards,
> Asha
>
>
> --
> ashapadmanabhan -
Hi

Thank you for your reply.

To deny a specific registry hive for users is not able to do with
regini.exe.

If you have the command please let me know.

Thanks in Advance,
Regards,
Asha




--
ashapadmanabhan
Steve Riley [MSFT]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Icacls.exe can be used for Registry modification?
Posted: 10-30-2008, 09:29 PM
I asked you some questions in the other nearly identical post you made,
please check that.

But I also need to tell you something here. Your intention of stopping local
administrators from accessing something is misguided. If a user logs on as a
local administrator, then he/she can completely undo whatever restrictions
you put in place.

Why do your users need to be local admins? What is the "some purpose"?

--
Steve Riley
steve.riley@microsoft.com
http://blogs.technet.com/steriley
Protect Your Windows Network: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0321336437



"ashapadmanabhan" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:c3ab46e1eef1a7c22750b686b4c56ea9@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> Thank you for your message,
>
> In our customer environment, most of the users are administrators for
> some purpose.
> So we want to particularly restrict this registry hive.
>
> Regards,
> Asha
>
>
> --
> ashapadmanabhan
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Set rights with Icacls Beat Windows Vista Administration 5 07-13-2007 02:05 PM
Registry Modification for Fresh Install Brian Windows XP Setup 1 06-06-2004 04:37 PM
how can I see the modification or creation date of registry keys? okron Windows XP New Users 1 01-18-2004 02:40 PM
how can I see the modification or creation date of registry keys? okron Windows XP Help & Support 1 01-18-2004 05:59 AM
how can I see the modification or creation date of registry keys? okron Windows XP Basics 1 01-18-2004 05:45 AM