IE flashes "Windows Installer" on startup

Posted: 03-28-2008, 08:00 PM

Everytime I start Internet Explorer the screen flashes 20 or 30
windows with title "Windows Installer". After that, it works fine.

This began happening after installing Vista64 with SP1. The first
time I started IE after the install UAC prompted me about 30 times
to allow Google toolbar, Flash, and HP to give administrative access.
Every subsequent time I just get the flashing.

Long ago I relocated the folders in my User folder to the D: drive.

I'm suspicous this is a security thing perhaps related to permissions
of the re-located folders, or a missing relocated folder, or one in an
unexpected place but I haven't been able to figure it out.

Any suggestions?


--
BobF

IE flashes "Windows Installer" on startup


Responses to "IE flashes "Windows Installer" on startup"

Smithsonian
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: IE flashes "Windows Installer" on startup
Posted: 03-28-2008, 09:23 PM
Whats you "D" drive? (if its just another volume ignore)
Disable UAC ( control panel < search for UAC )
I dont think this will solve any problems but move your users folder back to
your C



"BobF" <BobF.370202@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:BobF.370202@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> Everytime I start Internet Explorer the screen flashes 20 or 30
> windows with title "Windows Installer". After that, it works fine.
>
> This began happening after installing Vista64 with SP1. The first
> time I started IE after the install UAC prompted me about 30 times
> to allow Google toolbar, Flash, and HP to give administrative access.
> Every subsequent time I just get the flashing.
>
> Long ago I relocated the folders in my User folder to the D: drive.
>
> I'm suspicous this is a security thing perhaps related to permissions
> of the re-located folders, or a missing relocated folder, or one in an
> unexpected place but I haven't been able to figure it out.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
>
> --
> BobF
Bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: IE flashes "Windows Installer" on startup
Posted: 03-29-2008, 03:30 AM

On HP computers the D: drive is a recovery partition on the main hard drive
that should only be used for System Recovery.
It should never be used to store files. Read your computer documentation.

The Google toolbar is known to cause problems in Vista. I suggest you get
rid of it.
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"BobF" <BobF.370202@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:BobF.370202@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> Everytime I start Internet Explorer the screen flashes 20 or 30
> windows with title "Windows Installer". After that, it works fine.
>
> This began happening after installing Vista64 with SP1. The first
> time I started IE after the install UAC prompted me about 30 times
> to allow Google toolbar, Flash, and HP to give administrative access.
> Every subsequent time I just get the flashing.
>
> Long ago I relocated the folders in my User folder to the D: drive.
>
> I'm suspicous this is a security thing perhaps related to permissions
> of the re-located folders, or a missing relocated folder, or one in an
> unexpected place but I haven't been able to figure it out.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
>
> --
> BobF
BobF
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: IE flashes "Windows Installer" on startup
Posted: 03-29-2008, 02:40 PM

I previously was running Vista64 with pre-release SP1 since Christma
and had no problems with IE, esp not google toolbar. Same dis
configuration. The D: drive is just another disk on my server separat
from teh C: drive where Vista64 is installed

This problem started when I upgraded to release SP1

--
BobF
Bob F.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: IE flashes "Windows Installer" on startup
Posted: 03-29-2008, 03:28 PM
I am trying to read into what you wrote and want to make sure of something.
On a Vista system, the D: drive is special and reserved for a recovery drive
for Vista. You should not move it, tamper with it, add files, or use it for
anything else. If you have another server drive mapped to D: this could
cause an unknown condition. So what is it that we have here?

--
Regards, BobF.
(with a period)
"BobF" <BobF.371he1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:BobF.371he1@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> I previously was running Vista64 with pre-release SP1 since Christmas
> and had no problems with IE, esp not google toolbar. Same disk
> configuration. The D: drive is just another disk on my server separate
> from teh C: drive where Vista64 is installed.
>
> This problem started when I upgraded to release SP1.
>
>
> --
> BobF
Bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: IE flashes "Windows Installer" on startup
Posted: 03-29-2008, 03:28 PM
If uninstalling the Google toolbar does not solve your problem, I suggest
you rollback SP1.
**When posting, please quote relevant information so that others know what
you’re talking about.**
-------
*Report back, please*

"BobF" <BobF.371he1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:BobF.371he1@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> I previously was running Vista64 with pre-release SP1 since Christmas
> and had no problems with IE, esp not google toolbar. Same disk
> configuration. The D: drive is just another disk on my server separate
> from teh C: drive where Vista64 is installed.
>
> This problem started when I upgraded to release SP1.
>
>
> --
> BobF
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Solution for "Windows could not load the installer for display" error rkm0 Windows XP Video 0 01-28-2006 08:06 PM
Problem downloading files - "File Download" dialog box briefly flashes before disappearing THE_FLYING_MULLET Windows XP Help & Support 0 12-11-2003 02:52 PM
Windows Installer "out of order", can''t install any software Peter Windows XP Help & Support 0 11-26-2003 06:28 PM
Manual "Windows Update" produces "ActiveX/active scripting" error message even with "LOW" security level setting in "Trusted" Zone Ray2 Windows XP Help & Support 1 11-14-2003 06:50 PM
windows could not load the installer for diskdrive" and "CDRom" JimH Windows XP Security & Administration 0 09-13-2003 09:51 PM