Installing games in Program Files(x86)

Posted: 10-25-2008, 03:22 AM

I was just wondering, If I have a x64 based PC running Windows Vista
Ultimate 64 bit version, should I install all my games in the Program
Files folder or in the Program Files (x86) folder, I know that the x86
program files folder is meant for 32 bit applications, does it make a
difference when you install games in the x64 program files folder rather
than the x86 folder? Would uninstalling and then reinstalling the games
onto the x64 program files folder increase the performance of the game
at all or does it make a difference at all since my PC is running Vista
Ultimate 64bit anyway.


--
m1ke905

Installing games in Program Files(x86)


Responses to "Installing games in Program Files(x86)"

Jane C
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Installing games in Program Files(x86)
Posted: 10-25-2008, 04:20 AM
"m1ke905" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:36e72fc59f4246932ef9f586cd443261@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> I was just wondering, If I have a x64 based PC running Windows Vista
> Ultimate 64 bit version, should I install all my games in the Program
> Files folder or in the Program Files (x86) folder, I know that the x86
> program files folder is meant for 32 bit applications, does it make a
> difference when you install games in the x64 program files folder rather
> than the x86 folder? Would uninstalling and then reinstalling the games
> onto the x64 program files folder increase the performance of the game
> at all or does it make a difference at all since my PC is running Vista
> Ultimate 64bit anyway.
>
>
> --
> m1ke905

Hi,

I would suspect that most, if not all of your games are 32 bit. Leave them
where they are. If any of your games are true 64 bit they will have
installed into Program Files anyway. All those in Program Files (x86) will
be 32 bit. You would gain nothing from uninstalling them and reinstalling
them where they don't belong.



--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;-)
MVP - Windows Desktop Experience

Rotten Ronny
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Installing games in Program Files(x86)
Posted: 10-25-2008, 05:15 AM
"m1ke905" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:36e72fc59f4246932ef9f586cd443261@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> I was just wondering, If I have a x64 based PC running Windows Vista
> Ultimate 64 bit version, should I install all my games in the Program
> Files folder or in the Program Files (x86) folder, I know that the x86
> program files folder is meant for 32 bit applications, does it make a
> difference when you install games in the x64 program files folder rather
> than the x86 folder? Would uninstalling and then reinstalling the games
> onto the x64 program files folder increase the performance of the game
> at all or does it make a difference at all since my PC is running Vista
> Ultimate 64bit anyway.
>
>
> --
> m1ke905


That folder is a protected folder so it is better to install all your games
to a different folder. Most games work from that folder fine but some that
need admin access will have issues. I use Vista64 and never install any
games to that folder.

Paul Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Installing games in Program Files(x86)
Posted: 10-25-2008, 09:46 AM
"Rotten Ronny" <rotten@ronny.here> wrote in message
news:SXxMk.138355$jm2.86957@fe08.news.easynews.com ...
> That folder is a protected folder so it is better to install all your
> games to a different folder. Most games work from that folder fine but
> some that need admin access will have issues. I use Vista64 and never
> install any games to that folder.
That's the point. Operations as standard user shouldn't be messing about
with the system, nor its applications. Once a game is installed it should
only need to be messed with when it requires patching. All data is stored
in a user location anyway.

If you really want users to be able to modify a game's files, instead of
moving it out of Program Files why not just change the game's folder and all
sub files and folders so they're user-writable.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.
Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience.
http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/
http://www.windowsresource.net/

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*


Rotten Ronny
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Installing games in Program Files(x86)
Posted: 10-25-2008, 08:12 PM
"Paul Smith" <Paul@nospam.windowsresource.net> wrote in message
news:%2367vAaoNJHA.1744@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> If you really want users to be able to modify a game's files, instead of
> moving it out of Program Files why not just change the game's folder and
> all sub files and folders so they're user-writable.
Because it is quicker and easier to just install the games to a different
location.

Wayne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Installing games in Program Files(x86)
Posted: 11-19-2008, 11:06 AM
"Paul Smith" wrote:
> That's the point. Operations as standard user shouldn't be messing about
> with the system, nor its applications. Once a game is installed it should
> only need to be messed with when it requires patching. All data is stored
> in a user location anyway.
>
> If you really want users to be able to modify a game's files, instead of
> moving it out of Program Files why not just change the game's folder and all
> sub files and folders so they're user-writable.
>
Not all games store data in a user location folder, some store them in the
install directory. If this is under Program Files then you can get those nice
little popups or have to run the game as admin to get it to work correctly.

Whereas if you create a folder called Games on your hard drive and install
your games as sub-folders under that you don't have issues with games that
aren't Vista aware.

Changing the security/properties of folders under the Program Files folder
is bad security advice.

roy69
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Installing games in Program Files(x86)
Posted: 11-19-2008, 12:01 PM

I have always installed my programs in user specific folders on a
different partition.
Audio programs in a audio folder.
Games in a game folder etc...


--
roy69
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installing games without using CD to play the games sistergirl Windows XP Games 4 07-09-2005 02:41 AM
games program Pamela Russell Windows XP Games 3 08-15-2004 09:03 PM
GAMES LOST in PROGRAM GROUP Jimmy S. Windows XP Games 0 12-03-2003 04:22 PM
Disappearing Basic Games from XP Program Meredith Windows XP Games 1 10-25-2003 05:20 PM
missing games program Joy Windows XP Games 1 09-17-2003 03:30 PM