Is this spec. good foe video games ?

Posted: 01-15-2009, 07:06 AM
Will the following specs. good enough for PC games ?
Dell Studio Desktop
Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8200
Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit
6GB Memory, 640 GB HD
Webcam ( SP2009W )
ATI Radeon HD 3450 (256MB) Graphic card
Dual-layer 16x DVD Burner
20" Widescreen Flat Panel Monita

Thank you. t-4-2



Is this spec. good foe video games ?


Responses to "Is this spec. good foe video games ?"

Olórin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Is this spec. good foe video games ?
Posted: 01-15-2009, 09:34 AM

"t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
news:E25D42F3-720C-4D34-ABE9-0A6A34796FF4@microsoft.com...
> Will the following specs. good enough for PC games ?
> Dell Studio Desktop
> Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8200
> Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit
> 6GB Memory, 640 GB HD
> Webcam ( SP2009W )
> ATI Radeon HD 3450 (256MB) Graphic card
> Dual-layer 16x DVD Burner
> 20" Widescreen Flat Panel Monita
>
> Thank you. t-4-2
>
>
>
Oh, yes; I've played games on PCs with *much* lower specs than that.

On the other hand, if there are *particular* games that you want to be able
to play, then check out the minimum requirements on the packaging or
website, etc, and compare with what you've got.

Sheesh.


Joe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Is this spec. good foe video games ?
Posted: 01-15-2009, 04:21 PM
"t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in news:E25D42F3-720C-4D34-ABE9-
0A6A34796FF4@microsoft.com:
> Will the following specs. good enough for PC games ?
> Dell Studio Desktop
> Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8200
> Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit
> 6GB Memory, 640 GB HD
> Webcam ( SP2009W )
> ATI Radeon HD 3450 (256MB) Graphic card
> Dual-layer 16x DVD Burner
> 20" Widescreen Flat Panel Monita
>
> Thank you. t-4-2
>
>
>
Yeah, Quad Core anything is excellent, 6gigs ram is a waste though, while
I know of a couple games that might use 1 or 2 gigs at a time, anything
over 4 gigs right now is pointless.

Your video card is a little weak, but it'll last for a while.

I like the Dell Studio line, but I currently have my eye on a 17" macbook
pro or an ASUS G71. Currently torn, guess it depends on how many of my
old computers sell. Anyone looking to buy used?

--
Joe
Mark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Is this spec. good foe video games ?
Posted: 01-15-2009, 05:27 PM
The video card is very weak - so weak it may not play most of the games you
want.

Flat screen monitors typically have a specific res that they are sharpest
at. They will show other resolutions but tend to be fuzzy. 20" monitors
typically want a resolution of 1680x1050.

A review of the card at http://www.legitreviews.com/article/652/6/ shows a
game like Crysis can't even run at 1600x1200 with the 3450 and is getting 6
frames per second (completely unplayable) even at 1280x1024. You may be able
to play peggle on it but even games like Bioshock which is not that big of a
graphics hog has really unacceptable framerates with the card.

If it was me, i would get the system, dump the card and get something like
the HD4830 - a middle priced card that gives much better performance.

Hope that helps!
Mark


"Joe" <JoeQ@public.tv> wrote in message
news:Xns9B9455145E3E9JoeQPublictv@207.46.248.16...
> "t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in news:E25D42F3-720C-4D34-ABE9-
> 0A6A34796FF4@microsoft.com:
>
>> Will the following specs. good enough for PC games ?
>> Dell Studio Desktop
>> Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8200
>> Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit
>> 6GB Memory, 640 GB HD
>> Webcam ( SP2009W )
>> ATI Radeon HD 3450 (256MB) Graphic card
>> Dual-layer 16x DVD Burner
>> 20" Widescreen Flat Panel Monita
>>
>> Thank you. t-4-2
>>
>>
>>
>
> Yeah, Quad Core anything is excellent, 6gigs ram is a waste though, while
> I know of a couple games that might use 1 or 2 gigs at a time, anything
> over 4 gigs right now is pointless.
>
> Your video card is a little weak, but it'll last for a while.
>
> I like the Dell Studio line, but I currently have my eye on a 17" macbook
> pro or an ASUS G71. Currently torn, guess it depends on how many of my
> old computers sell. Anyone looking to buy used?
>
> --
> Joe
t-4-2
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Is this spec. good foe video games ?
Posted: 01-15-2009, 08:31 PM
What'd you say about this : Dual NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (512MB) ?
t-4-2

"Mark" <mark_butler@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:F1A80544-73CB-4F69-A039-9F921A07AC9D@microsoft.com...
> The video card is very weak - so weak it may not play most of the games
> you want.
>
> Flat screen monitors typically have a specific res that they are sharpest
> at. They will show other resolutions but tend to be fuzzy. 20" monitors
> typically want a resolution of 1680x1050.
>
> A review of the card at http://www.legitreviews.com/article/652/6/ shows
> a game like Crysis can't even run at 1600x1200 with the 3450 and is
> getting 6 frames per second (completely unplayable) even at 1280x1024. You
> may be able to play peggle on it but even games like Bioshock which is not
> that big of a graphics hog has really unacceptable framerates with the
> card.
>
> If it was me, i would get the system, dump the card and get something like
> the HD4830 - a middle priced card that gives much better performance.
>
> Hope that helps!
> Mark
>
>
> "Joe" <JoeQ@public.tv> wrote in message
> news:Xns9B9455145E3E9JoeQPublictv@207.46.248.16...
>> "t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in news:E25D42F3-720C-4D34-ABE9-
>> 0A6A34796FF4@microsoft.com:
>>
>>> Will the following specs. good enough for PC games ?
>>> Dell Studio Desktop
>>> Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8200
>>> Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit
>>> 6GB Memory, 640 GB HD
>>> Webcam ( SP2009W )
>>> ATI Radeon HD 3450 (256MB) Graphic card
>>> Dual-layer 16x DVD Burner
>>> 20" Widescreen Flat Panel Monita
>>>
>>> Thank you. t-4-2
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> Yeah, Quad Core anything is excellent, 6gigs ram is a waste though, while
>> I know of a couple games that might use 1 or 2 gigs at a time, anything
>> over 4 gigs right now is pointless.
>>
>> Your video card is a little weak, but it'll last for a while.
>>
>> I like the Dell Studio line, but I currently have my eye on a 17" macbook
>> pro or an ASUS G71. Currently torn, guess it depends on how many of my
>> old computers sell. Anyone looking to buy used?
>>
>> --
>> Joe
>
Joe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Is this spec. good foe video games ?
Posted: 01-15-2009, 09:00 PM
>>> "t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in news:E25D42F3-720C-4D34-ABE9-
>>>> Will the following specs. good enough for PC games ?
>>>> Dell Studio Desktop
>>>> Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8200
>>>> Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit
>>>> 6GB Memory, 640 GB HD
>>>> ATI Radeon HD 3450 (256MB) Graphic card
Joe:
>>> Yeah, Quad Core anything is excellent, 6gigs ram is a waste though,
>>> while I know of a couple games that might use 1 or 2 gigs at a time,
>>> anything over 4 gigs right now is pointless.
>>>
>>> Your video card is a little weak, but it'll last for a while.
>>>
>>> I like the Dell Studio line, but I currently have my eye on a 17"
>>> macbook pro or an ASUS G71. Currently torn, guess it depends on how
>>> many of my old computers sell. Anyone looking to buy used?
> "Mark" <mark_butler@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> The video card is very weak - so weak it may not play most of the
>> games you want.
>>
>> Flat screen monitors typically have a specific res that they are
>> sharpest at. They will show other resolutions but tend to be fuzzy.
>> 20" monitors typically want a resolution of 1680x1050.
>>
>> A review of the card at http://www.legitreviews.com/article/652/6/
>> shows a game like Crysis can't even run at 1600x1200 with the 3450
>> and is getting 6 frames per second (completely unplayable) even at
>> 1280x1024. You may be able to play peggle on it but even games like
>> Bioshock which is not that big of a graphics hog has really
>> unacceptable framerates with the card.
>>
>> If it was me, i would get the system, dump the card and get something
>> like the HD4830 - a middle priced card that gives much better
>> performance.
I'd also like to point out that Crysis sucks balls (Warhead was a little
better), so if you can't run the game, you aren't missing anything. I
advise piracy if you really want to see what it's like.

"t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in
> What'd you say about this : Dual NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (512MB) ?
I believe "Double" or "SLI/Crossfire" setups are a waste of cash, but
whatever floats your boat. The 9 series GeForce are good cards. As are
the ATi 4xxx series.

Your first card will run fine, but it'll be the first thing you'll want
to upgrade down the line.

I've run Bioshock on a 7800 GT card, it ran sluggish, but it was
playable.

--
Joe
t-4-2
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Is this spec. good foe video games ?
Posted: 01-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Thank you, everyone.
T-4-2

"t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
news:4ED5B83C-624C-4074-90B8-BDE4E5BDB5A2@microsoft.com...
> What'd you say about this : Dual NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (512MB) ?
> t-4-2
>
> "Mark" <mark_butler@verizon.net> wrote in message
> news:F1A80544-73CB-4F69-A039-9F921A07AC9D@microsoft.com...
>> The video card is very weak - so weak it may not play most of the games
>> you want.
>>
>> Flat screen monitors typically have a specific res that they are sharpest
>> at. They will show other resolutions but tend to be fuzzy. 20" monitors
>> typically want a resolution of 1680x1050.
>>
>> A review of the card at http://www.legitreviews.com/article/652/6/ shows
>> a game like Crysis can't even run at 1600x1200 with the 3450 and is
>> getting 6 frames per second (completely unplayable) even at 1280x1024.
>> You may be able to play peggle on it but even games like Bioshock which
>> is not that big of a graphics hog has really unacceptable framerates with
>> the card.
>>
>> If it was me, i would get the system, dump the card and get something
>> like the HD4830 - a middle priced card that gives much better
>> performance.
>>
>> Hope that helps!
>> Mark
>>
>>
>> "Joe" <JoeQ@public.tv> wrote in message
>> news:Xns9B9455145E3E9JoeQPublictv@207.46.248.16...
>>> "t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in news:E25D42F3-720C-4D34-ABE9-
>>> 0A6A34796FF4@microsoft.com:
>>>
>>>> Will the following specs. good enough for PC games ?
>>>> Dell Studio Desktop
>>>> Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8200
>>>> Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit
>>>> 6GB Memory, 640 GB HD
>>>> Webcam ( SP2009W )
>>>> ATI Radeon HD 3450 (256MB) Graphic card
>>>> Dual-layer 16x DVD Burner
>>>> 20" Widescreen Flat Panel Monita
>>>>
>>>> Thank you. t-4-2
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> Yeah, Quad Core anything is excellent, 6gigs ram is a waste though,
>>> while
>>> I know of a couple games that might use 1 or 2 gigs at a time, anything
>>> over 4 gigs right now is pointless.
>>>
>>> Your video card is a little weak, but it'll last for a while.
>>>
>>> I like the Dell Studio line, but I currently have my eye on a 17"
>>> macbook
>>> pro or an ASUS G71. Currently torn, guess it depends on how many of my
>>> old computers sell. Anyone looking to buy used?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Joe
>>
Robert McKenzie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Is this spec. good foe video games ?
Posted: 01-22-2009, 02:40 PM
t-4-2 wrote:
> Thank you, everyone.
> T-4-2
>
> "t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> news:4ED5B83C-624C-4074-90B8-BDE4E5BDB5A2@microsoft.com...
>> What'd you say about this : Dual NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (512MB) ?
>> t-4-2
>>
>> "Mark" <mark_butler@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> news:F1A80544-73CB-4F69-A039-9F921A07AC9D@microsoft.com...
>>> The video card is very weak - so weak it may not play most of the
>>> games you want.
>>>
>>> Flat screen monitors typically have a specific res that they are
>>> sharpest at. They will show other resolutions but tend to be fuzzy.
>>> 20" monitors typically want a resolution of 1680x1050.
>>>
>>> A review of the card at http://www.legitreviews.com/article/652/6/
>>> shows a game like Crysis can't even run at 1600x1200 with the 3450
>>> and is getting 6 frames per second (completely unplayable) even at
>>> 1280x1024. You may be able to play peggle on it but even games like
>>> Bioshock which is not that big of a graphics hog has really
>>> unacceptable framerates with the card.
>>>
>>> If it was me, i would get the system, dump the card and get something
>>> like the HD4830 - a middle priced card that gives much better
>>> performance.
>>>
>>> Hope that helps!
>>> Mark
>>>
>>>
>>> "Joe" <JoeQ@public.tv> wrote in message
>>> news:Xns9B9455145E3E9JoeQPublictv@207.46.248.16...
>>>> "t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in news:E25D42F3-720C-4D34-ABE9-
>>>> 0A6A34796FF4@microsoft.com:
>>>>
>>>>> Will the following specs. good enough for PC games ?
>>>>> Dell Studio Desktop
>>>>> Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8200
>>>>> Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit
>>>>> 6GB Memory, 640 GB HD
>>>>> Webcam ( SP2009W )
>>>>> ATI Radeon HD 3450 (256MB) Graphic card
>>>>> Dual-layer 16x DVD Burner
>>>>> 20" Widescreen Flat Panel Monita
>>>>>
>>>>> Thank you. t-4-2
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Yeah, Quad Core anything is excellent, 6gigs ram is a waste though,
>>>> while
>>>> I know of a couple games that might use 1 or 2 gigs at a time, anything
>>>> over 4 gigs right now is pointless.
>>>>
>>>> Your video card is a little weak, but it'll last for a while.
>>>>
>>>> I like the Dell Studio line, but I currently have my eye on a 17"
>>>> macbook
>>>> pro or an ASUS G71. Currently torn, guess it depends on how many of my
>>>> old computers sell. Anyone looking to buy used?
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Joe
>>>
As previously stated the 3450 is adequate for old games - modern games
demand more - i bought a 3450 for an old machine and tried to run
MassEffect for the PC - it did not worked - I took it back and bought
the 3650 and it was jerky.

Now have a 1Gb EN9800GT which cost £130 and no problems.

The better the graphic card - the better your memory and the faster the
access time of the HD is what counts with game play not the processors
speed or OS.

BTW it better to have more memory than too little memory.
Joe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Is this spec. good foe video games ?
Posted: 01-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Robert McKenzie <robert@kenzie.org.uk> wrote in
news:gla0gi$vlu$1@adenine.netfront.net:
> As previously stated the 3450 is adequate for old games - modern games
> demand more - i bought a 3450 for an old machine and tried to run
> MassEffect for the PC - it did not worked - I took it back and bought
> the 3650 and it was jerky.
>
> Now have a 1Gb EN9800GT which cost £130 and no problems.
>
> The better the graphic card - the better your memory and the faster
> the access time of the HD is what counts with game play not the
> processors speed or OS.
>
> BTW it better to have more memory than too little memory.
Not really, 6gigs is pretty much wasted, but it's cheap so a lot of
manufacturers are just throwing it in and jacking up their prices. I
can't recall ever seeing a quad core at best buy for less than $1000, but
I can build a similar system with less ram and a smaller HD on dell.com
for less than $600. So yes, it is wasted, and I'm sorry, that is US$ not
pounds.

Also, I ran Mass Effect on a Geforce 6800, it wasn't an amazing
experience, but it ran, smoothly. Better graphic cards are nice if you
want to run the game in native resolutions and all the bells and whistles
turned on, but most people just want to play the game and don't care so
much if it's not perfect.

And when you say old games, which games are you talking about? Because I
mean a lot of people consider Gears of War PC an "Old" game. I personally
consider Pac-Man an "old" game. It's all subjective.

-J.

--
Joe
Lady Nightingale 7
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Is this spec. good foe video games ?
Posted: 01-28-2009, 02:16 AM
Yeah,that's more than enough...Actually everytime when I bought games
I will check the requirements to make sure it will run smoothly,
otherwise it will make games went slow or not running at all because
of the high graphics and so on. Except for your graphic card...may be
you need to upgrade.

Lady Nightingale

If you're playing 2D games yeah I think it will be ok but if 3D you
really need to upgrade your video/graphic card; http://www.gamestotal.com,
http://uc.gamestotal.com, http://gc.gamestotal.com, http://3700ad.gamestotal.com,
http://manga.gamestotal.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is Vista 64 good for games? roach_779 Windows Vista Games 18 08-18-2008 12:43 PM
video good - audio no good DougL Windows XP Movie Maker 1 03-31-2007 05:08 AM
Opinions please on this spec as a games PC ? Jim N Windows XP Games 1 11-21-2005 04:28 AM
Recommend good video capture device with good still image facility? David Bentley Windows XP Video 1 11-10-2004 08:52 AM
Games graphics aren't very good Zahiar Windows XP Games 2 10-14-2003 02:47 PM