Limited Account

Posted: 02-24-2008, 10:14 PM
I have a Vista computer running on a Workgroup network with shared resources.
I would like to set up a guest account that can use limited functions such
as internet access and run Office applications without access to mapped
drives, or network printers.

If I change the name of the Workgroup on the system then no one can use any
of these resources. I need to have an account that is in the workgroup, and
one that is not.

Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

Thanks
JohnW

Limited Account


Responses to "Limited Account"

jamesvdm
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: Limited Account
Posted: 02-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Hi John

The best idea would be for the shares to be password protected, that way
your limited users would need a username and password to get to them. You can
also control who prints with user account permissions in the security tab on
a printer.

James

"JohnW" wrote:
> I have a Vista computer running on a Workgroup network with shared resources.
> I would like to set up a guest account that can use limited functions such
> as internet access and run Office applications without access to mapped
> drives, or network printers.
>
> If I change the name of the Workgroup on the system then no one can use any
> of these resources. I need to have an account that is in the workgroup, and
> one that is not.
>
> Can anyone lead me in the right direction?
>
> Thanks
> JohnW
JohnW
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: Limited Account
Posted: 02-27-2008, 01:46 PM
James,

Thanks for your reply, but if is setup passwords on shares everyone else on
the network would be inconvienenced. Mostly me by having to help them get to
a share they hadn't used for a while and lost their password to.

There must be a way through the Account Permissions to lock one user account
out of seeing the Workgroup all together. Is there a Poledit for Vista?

John

"jamesvdm" wrote:
> Hi John
>
> The best idea would be for the shares to be password protected, that way
> your limited users would need a username and password to get to them. You can
> also control who prints with user account permissions in the security tab on
> a printer.
>
> James
>
> "JohnW" wrote:
>
> > I have a Vista computer running on a Workgroup network with shared resources.
> > I would like to set up a guest account that can use limited functions such
> > as internet access and run Office applications without access to mapped
> > drives, or network printers.
> >
> > If I change the name of the Workgroup on the system then no one can use any
> > of these resources. I need to have an account that is in the workgroup, and
> > one that is not.
> >
> > Can anyone lead me in the right direction?
> >
> > Thanks
> > JohnW
jamesvdm
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: Limited Account
Posted: 02-27-2008, 11:23 PM
Hey John

I don't know your exact circumstances but it almost sounds like you're ready
for a domain setup rather than a workgroup.

But to try and figure this one out...

How about install a second network adapter in the PC but remove File and
Print sharing services from it. Then create a script to disable or enable an
adapter depending who logs on.

You may even be able to script removing F&P Sharing from a single adapter
but I've never seen that done.

James

"JohnW" wrote:
> James,
>
> Thanks for your reply, but if is setup passwords on shares everyone else on
> the network would be inconvienenced. Mostly me by having to help them get to
> a share they hadn't used for a while and lost their password to.
>
> There must be a way through the Account Permissions to lock one user account
> out of seeing the Workgroup all together. Is there a Poledit for Vista?
>
> John
>
> "jamesvdm" wrote:
>
> > Hi John
> >
> > The best idea would be for the shares to be password protected, that way
> > your limited users would need a username and password to get to them. You can
> > also control who prints with user account permissions in the security tab on
> > a printer.
> >
> > James
> >
> > "JohnW" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a Vista computer running on a Workgroup network with shared resources.
> > > I would like to set up a guest account that can use limited functions such
> > > as internet access and run Office applications without access to mapped
> > > drives, or network printers.
> > >
> > > If I change the name of the Workgroup on the system then no one can use any
> > > of these resources. I need to have an account that is in the workgroup, and
> > > one that is not.
> > >
> > > Can anyone lead me in the right direction?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > JohnW
JohnW
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: Limited Account
Posted: 02-28-2008, 12:09 AM
James,

I agree I am about ready for a domain server but this is for a Church and
limited budget like everyone.

Since I can have several Workgroups on one network, it would seem like this
should be a function of the Account or Profile to decide which if any
Workgroups to join.

What is the Vista Equivilant of Poledit?

JohnW

"jamesvdm" wrote:
> Hey John
>
> I don't know your exact circumstances but it almost sounds like you're ready
> for a domain setup rather than a workgroup.
>
> But to try and figure this one out...
>
> How about install a second network adapter in the PC but remove File and
> Print sharing services from it. Then create a script to disable or enable an
> adapter depending who logs on.
>
> You may even be able to script removing F&P Sharing from a single adapter
> but I've never seen that done.
>
> James
>
> "JohnW" wrote:
>
> > James,
> >
> > Thanks for your reply, but if is setup passwords on shares everyone else on
> > the network would be inconvienenced. Mostly me by having to help them get to
> > a share they hadn't used for a while and lost their password to.
> >
> > There must be a way through the Account Permissions to lock one user account
> > out of seeing the Workgroup all together. Is there a Poledit for Vista?
> >
> > John
> >
> > "jamesvdm" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi John
> > >
> > > The best idea would be for the shares to be password protected, that way
> > > your limited users would need a username and password to get to them. You can
> > > also control who prints with user account permissions in the security tab on
> > > a printer.
> > >
> > > James
> > >
> > > "JohnW" wrote:
> > >
> > > > I have a Vista computer running on a Workgroup network with shared resources.
> > > > I would like to set up a guest account that can use limited functions such
> > > > as internet access and run Office applications without access to mapped
> > > > drives, or network printers.
> > > >
> > > > If I change the name of the Workgroup on the system then no one can use any
> > > > of these resources. I need to have an account that is in the workgroup, and
> > > > one that is not.
> > > >
> > > > Can anyone lead me in the right direction?
> > > >
> > > > Thanks
> > > > JohnW
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
log off with Limited User Account Customize Windows XP 0 10-29-2003 01:53 PM
Bluelight limited account Craig Customize Windows XP 1 10-03-2003 02:18 PM
Guest account and limited account user Manouska Windows XP Setup 0 09-13-2003 09:01 AM
Limited Account Profile RoughLie Windows XP Games 0 08-09-2003 10:22 PM
Help!!limited account... C.D Windows XP Security & Administration 1 07-03-2003 11:33 PM