looking for individuals to run local security groups

Posted: 03-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Hello,

My name is Brad Dinerman. I am the founder and president of the
National Information Security Group (NAISG, http://www.naisg.org). We
are a US chapter-based organization of security professionals. Each
chapter typically holds monthly meetings, but we also provide a number
of online resources and an internationally recognized TechTips email
list. Membership is ALWAYS free to the general public; there are no
annual dues or fees. Our membership includes top notch security
professionals, but the only requirement to join is that you have an
*interest* in information security. You do not need to be a CISSP, MCSE
or any other acronym.

As of today, we have chapters in:

* Boston, MA
* New York City
* Seattle, WA (coming soon)
* Washington, DC (coming soon)
* Silicon Valley, CA (coming soon)

*We are looking for individuals who would be interested to form and lead
chapters in other cities, whether in the US or even other countries.*
The time commitment is not tremendous, and the position is totally
voluntary. You would run the chapter simply for the enjoyment of
promoting security.

NAISG has excellent ties with the FBI, Infragard and local
law-enforcement agencies. Members include administrators, managers,
executive, law enforcement, educators/students and more. Members of the
local press frequently attend meetings and do write-ups in their
respective publications.

If this is of interest to you, please check out our Web site at
http://www.naisg.org. There are details there about some of the
requirements and benefits of creating a chapter.

Yours,
Brad Dinerman

--


_______________________________________________
Bradley J. Dinerman, MVP - Enterprise Security
President, National Information Security Group
http://www.naisg.org





looking for individuals to run local security groups


Responses to "looking for individuals to run local security groups"

VanguardLH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: looking for individuals to run local security groups
Posted: 03-04-2008, 10:17 PM
"Brad Dinerman" wrote in message
news:eJkcEnjfIHA.5620@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> My name is Brad Dinerman. I am the founder and president of the
> National Information Security Group (NAISG, http://www.naisg.org).
<snip>

This MVP is listed at http://www.mvps.org/links.html but his
www.neisug.com site can't be reached or doesn't exist. Guess he
hasn't updated his OpenDNS account so it points at his current dynamic
IP address. Or maybe he needs to update his MVPS information.
Hopefully he keeps mydyndns updated since he uses that DNS service for
his new www.naisg.org site.

It appears that security wizards don't know that you do *not* use HTML
when posting to newsgroups.


David H. Lipman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: looking for individuals to run local security groups
Posted: 03-04-2008, 10:23 PM
From: "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH>

< snip >

|
| It appears that security wizards don't know that you do *not* use HTML
| when posting to newsgroups.
|

I was thinking the SAME thing! :-)

--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp


Brad Dinerman (MVP - Enterprise Security)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: looking for individuals to run local security groups
Posted: 03-04-2008, 10:37 PM
VanguardLH,

Thank you for pointing out in your very gentle and non-sarcastic way
about my URL and posting.

I have requested that the URL at mvps.org be updated. I did not realize
that it was still listed there, so that was an oversight.

And my newsreader was actually configured to send in both HTML AND
plain-text format, but I will change that to accommodate your requirements.

Yours,
Brad Dinerman

VanguardLH wrote:
> "Brad Dinerman" wrote in message
> news:eJkcEnjfIHA.5620@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> My name is Brad Dinerman. I am the founder and president of the
>> National Information Security Group (NAISG, http://www.naisg.org).
> <snip>
>
> This MVP is listed at http://www.mvps.org/links.html but his
> www.neisug.com site can't be reached or doesn't exist. Guess he
> hasn't updated his OpenDNS account so it points at his current dynamic
> IP address. Or maybe he needs to update his MVPS information.
> Hopefully he keeps mydyndns updated since he uses that DNS service for
> his new www.naisg.org site.
>
> It appears that security wizards don't know that you do *not* use HTML
> when posting to newsgroups.
>
>
--


_______________________________________________
Bradley J. Dinerman, MVP - Enterprise Security
President, National Information Security Group
http://www.naisg.org



Mick Murphy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: looking for individuals to run local security groups
Posted: 03-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Van; if you click on his website link from your reply post, you go straight
there!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia


"VanguardLH" wrote:
> "Brad Dinerman" wrote in message
> news:eJkcEnjfIHA.5620@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> > My name is Brad Dinerman. I am the founder and president of the
> > National Information Security Group (NAISG, http://www.naisg.org).
> <snip>
>
> This MVP is listed at http://www.mvps.org/links.html but his
> www.neisug.com site can't be reached or doesn't exist. Guess he
> hasn't updated his OpenDNS account so it points at his current dynamic
> IP address. Or maybe he needs to update his MVPS information.
> Hopefully he keeps mydyndns updated since he uses that DNS service for
> his new www.naisg.org site.
>
> It appears that security wizards don't know that you do *not* use HTML
> when posting to newsgroups.
>
>
>
VanguardLH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: looking for individuals to run local security groups
Posted: 03-06-2008, 02:23 PM
"Mick Murphy" wrote in message
news:1A5FE908-69D4-4FEA-A041-00EA769CE8AD@microsoft.com...
>
> "VanguardLH" wrote:
>>
>> This MVP is listed at http://www.mvps.org/links.html but his
>> www.neisug.com site can't be reached or doesn't exist. Guess he
>> hasn't updated his OpenDNS account so it points at his current
>> dynamic
>> IP address. Or maybe he needs to update his MVPS information.
>> Hopefully he keeps mydyndns updated since he uses that DNS service
>> for
>> his new www.naisg.org site.
>
> Van; if you click on his website link from your reply post, you go
> straight
> there!
Nope. His old www.neisug.com doesn't work because either the site no
longer exists or Brad forgot to update his OpenDNS account to point at
whatever IP address is for his old site. He could probably even have
OpenDNS point his old IP name to the IP address of his new site in
case he has the old URL published anywhere else. If you click on THIS
link to his old site, you end up with an OpenDNS failure page (because
the IP address recorded for that IP name is no longer valid; i.e., the
host doesn't exist for that IP address). As Brad said, he needs to
update the MVPS.org site regarding his information there.

When someone claims to be an MVP that I don't recognize, I visit the
biglist page at MVPS.org to verify that who they claim they are is
actually listed as an MVP. I have seen some posters that claimed to
be an MVP but were not.

Tom [Pepper] Willett
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: looking for individuals to run local security groups
Posted: 03-06-2008, 02:39 PM

:
: When someone claims to be an MVP that I don't recognize, I visit the
: biglist page at MVPS.org to verify that who they claim they are is
: actually listed as an MVP. I have seen some posters that claimed to
: be an MVP but were not.

Not all MVPs choose to have themselves listed on mvps.org, or publicly on
the MS site.

Tom
:


VanguardLH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: looking for individuals to run local security groups
Posted: 03-06-2008, 02:54 PM
"Tom [Pepper] Willett" wrote in message
news:OtxfGf5fIHA.4880@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>
>> When someone claims to be an MVP that I don't recognize, I visit
>> the
>> biglist page at MVPS.org to verify that who they claim they are is
>> actually listed as an MVP. I have seen some posters that claimed
>> to
>>be an MVP but were not.
>
> Not all MVPs choose to have themselves listed on mvps.org, or
> publicly on
> the MS site.

Then where is the verification that someone did not self-nominate
themself as an MVP? If someone puts a certificate on the wall, they
had better expect that someone might actually check that the paper is
valid. Odd that someone who was nominated and elected to be an MVP -
and who CHOSE to be elected and nominated - decides to hide that fact.
A doctor whose credentials you cannot verify should NOT be trusted.
Same for MVPs.

Brad Dinerman [MVP - Enterprise Security]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: looking for individuals to run local security groups
Posted: 03-07-2008, 10:45 AM
MVPs.org is definitely not the authoritative list of MVPs. As you had
observed, my Web site link was out of date on that list. My original
site was http://www.neisug.com, but we decommissioned that quite a while
ago as our group evolved into http://www.naisg.org.

Personally, I visit mvps.org once per year or less, so I did not notice
that the link still pointed to the old site and forgot to notify them.
That's all there is to it; nothing more and nothing less.

If you want an authoritative list of MVPs, then go to
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx. That is the
ONLY list that is considered official by Microsoft. All MVPs will be
listed there, though the amount of information that is available about
any given MVP is at the discretion of that individual. Some MVPs list
as much information as possible, others are more humble or concerned
about their privacy.

Also, for what it's worth, MVPs do not choose to be nominated as you
indicated. Anyone can be nominated by anyone else with or without their
consent. However, the MVP must decide whether to accept it if the
nomination is turned into an award.


_______________________________________________
Bradley J. Dinerman, MVP - Enterprise Security
President, National Information Security Group
http://www.naisg.org





VanguardLH wrote:
> "Tom [Pepper] Willett" wrote in message
> news:OtxfGf5fIHA.4880@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>
>>> When someone claims to be an MVP that I don't recognize, I visit the
>>> biglist page at MVPS.org to verify that who they claim they are is
>>> actually listed as an MVP. I have seen some posters that claimed to
>>> be an MVP but were not.
>>
>> Not all MVPs choose to have themselves listed on mvps.org, or publicly on
>> the MS site.
>
>
> Then where is the verification that someone did not self-nominate
> themself as an MVP? If someone puts a certificate on the wall, they had
> better expect that someone might actually check that the paper is
> valid. Odd that someone who was nominated and elected to be an MVP -
> and who CHOSE to be elected and nominated - decides to hide that fact. A
> doctor whose credentials you cannot verify should NOT be trusted. Same
> for MVPs.
VanguardLH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: looking for individuals to run local security groups
Posted: 03-07-2008, 11:24 AM
"Brad Dinerman [MVP - Enterprise Security]" <Me@here.com> wrote in
message news:%23LL6NBEgIHA.1824@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>
> If you want an authoritative list of MVPs, then go to
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx.
Oh, forgot about that list. Thanks for the reminder.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Local Groups are Gone! Mike Windows XP Configuration & Management 4 06-27-2006 12:14 AM
population of local security groups during unattended install David McKone Windows XP Setup 1 08-29-2003 06:59 AM
local users and groups nichols Windows XP Security & Administration 2 08-24-2003 02:06 PM
Can't add machines to local groups? Jim Sievert Windows XP Security & Administration 0 07-17-2003 11:33 AM
local users and groups Ted Windows XP 5 07-10-2003 12:49 PM