loosely coupling manifest file in VC6

Posted: 07-11-2008, 06:59 AM
Hi all,
We have started porting our application to accommodate vista security
changes. We have a unique case. A particular exe can run in both
server environments like windows 2003/2008 server and clients like xp/
vista. In the server env we want to run the executable as an
administrator but in the client environments it should be run with
invoker privileges. Is there any mechanism to loosely couple the
manifest file with the exe. i.e i dont want to embed it using the
resource files. i have tried to use it by placing the manifest file in
the same folder as the executable. the name of the manifest file was
"myexe.exe.manifest". Any help would be greatly appreciated


P.S:The version of application has been built in VC6

Regards and TC

loosely coupling manifest file in VC6


Responses to "loosely coupling manifest file in VC6"

Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: loosely coupling manifest file in VC6
Posted: 07-11-2008, 07:21 AM
It should work. I use an external manifest to get Commctrl6 so I can rename
it and turn it on or off. I have asinvoker in the manifest file and it
doesn't complain, which is different to saying it does anything.

"Pointer" <rohit.ven@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:09050cd6-a771-419d-a799-e4da29f26733@f36g2000hsa.googlegroups.com...
> Hi all,
> We have started porting our application to accommodate vista security
> changes. We have a unique case. A particular exe can run in both
> server environments like windows 2003/2008 server and clients like xp/
> vista. In the server env we want to run the executable as an
> administrator but in the client environments it should be run with
> invoker privileges. Is there any mechanism to loosely couple the
> manifest file with the exe. i.e i dont want to embed it using the
> resource files. i have tried to use it by placing the manifest file in
> the same folder as the executable. the name of the manifest file was
> "myexe.exe.manifest". Any help would be greatly appreciated
>
>
> P.S:The version of application has been built in VC6
>
> Regards and TC
Pointer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: loosely coupling manifest file in VC6
Posted: 08-01-2008, 06:16 AM


On Jul 11, 12:21*pm, <.> wrote:
> It should work. I use an externalmanifestto get Commctrl6 so I can rename
> it and turn it on or off. I have asinvoker in themanifestfile and it
> doesn't complain, which is different to saying it does anything.
>
> "Pointer" <rohit....@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
Hi,
I finally was able to achieve this. Placing the manifest in the same
folder as the exe resolves works. But this solution worked only after
i applied the Vista SP1 update. Also I have two clients in which I am
testing this. In one of them I have to place my executable under the
"Program files" while in the other it works fine. Not sure this is due
to difference in updates i have applied or not applied.

Regards and take care,
rohit
> news:09050cd6-a771-419d-a799-e4da29f26733@f36g2000hsa.googlegroups.com...
>
> > Hi all,
> > We have started porting our application to accommodate vista security
> > changes. *We have a unique case. A particular exe can run in both
> > server environments like windows 2003/2008 server *and clients like xp/
> > vista. In the server env we want to run the executable as an
> > administrator but in the client environments it should be run with
> > invoker privileges. Is there any mechanism to loosely couple the
> >manifestfile with the exe. i.e i dont want to embed it using the
> > resource files. i have tried to use it by placing themanifestfile in
> > the same folder as the executable. the name of themanifestfile was
> > "myexe.exe.manifest". Any help would be greatly appreciated
>
> > P.S:The version of application has been built in VC6
>
> > Regards and TC
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem with manifest file fig000 Windows Vista Security 1 05-02-2007 04:39 AM
Loosely related question to Vista... Charlie Windows Vista Hardware & Devices 2 10-20-2006 12:34 PM
SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file, when installing winXP Asim Ali Windows XP New Users 1 02-03-2004 06:52 PM
"sxs.dll:syntax error in manifest or policy file sam Windows XP Setup 1 01-18-2004 01:22 AM
strange coupling of audio volume controls of application and taskbar caused by Kazaa Lukas Windows XP Music 0 12-02-2003 11:14 AM