Lost Indexing of Old HDD

Posted: 01-03-2009, 10:33 PM

I need help recovering files (favorites, .pst, photos, My Docs) from a
HDD array. Here is the background

- For some time, I have successfully operated a home-built syste
consisting of an Intel C2D E6600, Asus P5b Deluxe Mobo, and two WD 25
GB Caviars configured in RAID1 (amongst other components)
- I recently installed two new WD 300 GB Velociraptors in RAID
configuration. I experienced no difficulties in setting up thi
second arra
- I attempted to ghost the old array to the new Raptor array usin
Norton Ghost. In doing this, I was unable to reassign the new driv
to C using the Vista Disk Management utility, as one of the two array
always was the boot drive. I tried to boot off an optical drive, bu
was also unsuccessful. So, I abandoned the ghosting strategy, an
decided to make a clean install on the new raptor array
- I have been successful in completing the clean install in the ne
Raptor array
- However, I have been unsuccessful in locating my old file
(favorites, .pst, photos, My Documents) on the old array. Could thi
be due to the loss of the indexing on the old drive, when I did th
clean OS install on the new drive
What procedures can you recommend to recover the files on my old drive?
If needed, is there a recovery software that you can recommend

Thanks in advance for your help

--
Mister Strategy

Lost Indexing of Old HDD


Responses to "Lost Indexing of Old HDD"

DL
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Lost Indexing of Old HDD
Posted: 01-04-2009, 02:59 PM
If the array is visible in explorer your docs are in the user folder, you
have to enable view hidden folders, you may also have to take ownership -
see win help

"Mister Strategy" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:9c0ab853229784280bb2ed966a658feb@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> I need help recovering files (favorites, .pst, photos, My Docs) from an
> HDD array. Here is the background:
>
> - For some time, I have successfully operated a home-built system
> consisting of an Intel C2D E6600, Asus P5b Deluxe Mobo, and two WD 250
> GB Caviars configured in RAID1 (amongst other components).
> - I recently installed two new WD 300 GB Velociraptors in RAID 0
> configuration. I experienced no difficulties in setting up this
> second array
> - I attempted to ghost the old array to the new Raptor array using
> Norton Ghost. In doing this, I was unable to reassign the new drive
> to C using the Vista Disk Management utility, as one of the two arrays
> always was the boot drive. I tried to boot off an optical drive, but
> was also unsuccessful. So, I abandoned the ghosting strategy, and
> decided to make a clean install on the new raptor array.
> - I have been successful in completing the clean install in the new
> Raptor array.
> - However, I have been unsuccessful in locating my old files
> (favorites, .pst, photos, My Documents) on the old array. Could this
> be due to the loss of the indexing on the old drive, when I did the
> clean OS install on the new drive?
> What procedures can you recommend to recover the files on my old drive?
> If needed, is there a recovery software that you can recommend?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
>
> --
> Mister Strategy

Mister Strategy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Lost Indexing of Old HDD
Posted: 01-04-2009, 04:49 PM

Thx DL for input. Unfortunately, I am still not able to see the files
despite doing the following

- In Folder options for the old drive (now D, I selected "Sho
hidden files and folders
- In security settings for the old drive (D, I confirmed that th
"Allow" box is selected besides "Take Ownership" for "Al
authenticated users"
Any other ideas

--
Mister Strategy
Mister Strategy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Lost Indexing of Old HDD
Posted: 01-04-2009, 04:56 PM

Additional information:
In the old drive, I am able to see some old files, but not all

- I can see folders and files for old programs, including Window
file
- I can see folders and files that my daughter had set up as th
other use
- I can see folders and files that had been set up as "Public
- I cannot see the My Documents, Pictures, etc. that was set up fo
myself, the Administrator

--
Mister Strategy
DL
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Lost Indexing of Old HDD
Posted: 01-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Are you able to see either your User/'name' account or the Admin account?

"Mister Strategy" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:71fd4bf13dc566d936fb3bce237c8b79@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> Additional information:
> In the old drive, I am able to see some old files, but not all:
>
> - I can see folders and files for old programs, including Windows
> files
> - I can see folders and files that my daughter had set up as the
> other user
> - I can see folders and files that had been set up as "Public"
> - I cannot see the My Documents, Pictures, etc. that was set up for
> myself, the Administrator.
>
>
> --
> Mister Strategy

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Indexing service isn't indexing a particular file under documents. Zicksen Windows Vista File Management 4 10-19-2007 11:24 PM
Folders do not display in Indexing Options / Indexing Locations Gus Windows Vista File Management 0 10-19-2007 09:09 PM
Vista not indexing folders that are selected for indexing dlreid@gmail.com Windows Vista File Management 16 09-13-2007 11:11 PM
Indexing - not indexing! Diamontina Cocktail Windows Vista Performance & Maintenance 3 07-04-2007 12:33 AM
Indexing Danny Windows Vista File Management 3 11-28-2006 09:57 PM