Media Center blank screen & Screen Saver hangs

Posted: 10-04-2006, 05:30 PM
I have installed Vista Build 5728 on my Inspiron 8600 laptop. It has a nvidia
geforce go5200 display card.

The problems i have are:
1) Vista hangs whenever a screen saver other than the default one runs. It
just hangs. I am using the screen savers that come with vista.

2) If i run media center It just goes blank.

I have tried installing latest drivers from nvidia but it doen't help. Its
the same.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Media Center blank screen & Screen Saver hangs


Responses to "Media Center blank screen & Screen Saver hangs"

Praveen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Media Center blank screen & Screen Saver hangs
Posted: 10-04-2006, 05:31 PM
I have installed Vista Build 5728 on my Inspiron 8600 laptop. It has a nvidia
geforce go5200 display card.

The problems i have are:
1) Vista hangs whenever a screen saver other than the default one runs. It
just hangs. I am using the screen savers that come with vista.

2) If i run media center It just goes blank.

I have tried installing latest drivers from nvidia but it doen't help. Its
the same.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
JW
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Media Center blank screen & Screen Saver hangs
Posted: 10-04-2006, 06:01 PM
How much memory onboard your 5200 card?
By the latest drivers I assume you mean th 96.33 drivers for you CPU X86 or
64 bit.
Did you have a previous of Vista working on your laptop?

"Praveen" <Praveen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:904F049B-4151-415F-923B-E106C5980C61@microsoft.com...
>I have installed Vista Build 5728 on my Inspiron 8600 laptop. It has a
>nvidia
> geforce go5200 display card.
>
> The problems i have are:
> 1) Vista hangs whenever a screen saver other than the default one runs. It
> just hangs. I am using the screen savers that come with vista.
>
> 2) If i run media center It just goes blank.
>
> I have tried installing latest drivers from nvidia but it doen't help. Its
> the same.
> Any help is appreciated.
> Thanks

Praveen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Media Center blank screen & Screen Saver hangs
Posted: 10-04-2006, 10:22 PM
JW I have 30MB on the card, and 127 mb of shared mem. CPU is X86.
yeah i used 96.33 drivers. I actually had to change the inf file to install
them. but they were of no use. excact same behaviour with them too.

This is the first time that i installed vista on that laptop.

"JW" wrote:
> How much memory onboard your 5200 card?
> By the latest drivers I assume you mean th 96.33 drivers for you CPU X86 or
> 64 bit.
> Did you have a previous of Vista working on your laptop?
>
> "Praveen" <Praveen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:904F049B-4151-415F-923B-E106C5980C61@microsoft.com...
> >I have installed Vista Build 5728 on my Inspiron 8600 laptop. It has a
> >nvidia
> > geforce go5200 display card.
> >
> > The problems i have are:
> > 1) Vista hangs whenever a screen saver other than the default one runs. It
> > just hangs. I am using the screen savers that come with vista.
> >
> > 2) If i run media center It just goes blank.
> >
> > I have tried installing latest drivers from nvidia but it doen't help. Its
> > the same.
> > Any help is appreciated.
> > Thanks
>
>
>
JW
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Media Center blank screen & Screen Saver hangs
Posted: 10-05-2006, 06:10 PM
It may be that Vista is not recognizing that you have more then 32MB on your
5200 card available. Does the additional memory show up in the system BIOS
as allocated?

"Praveen" <Praveen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:00974180-426B-4F30-B297-420DB46574FE@microsoft.com...
> JW I have 30MB on the card, and 127 mb of shared mem. CPU is X86.
> yeah i used 96.33 drivers. I actually had to change the inf file to
> install
> them. but they were of no use. excact same behaviour with them too.
>
> This is the first time that i installed vista on that laptop.
>
> "JW" wrote:
>
>> How much memory onboard your 5200 card?
>> By the latest drivers I assume you mean th 96.33 drivers for you CPU X86
>> or
>> 64 bit.
>> Did you have a previous of Vista working on your laptop?
>>
>> "Praveen" <Praveen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:904F049B-4151-415F-923B-E106C5980C61@microsoft.com...
>> >I have installed Vista Build 5728 on my Inspiron 8600 laptop. It has a
>> >nvidia
>> > geforce go5200 display card.
>> >
>> > The problems i have are:
>> > 1) Vista hangs whenever a screen saver other than the default one runs.
>> > It
>> > just hangs. I am using the screen savers that come with vista.
>> >
>> > 2) If i run media center It just goes blank.
>> >
>> > I have tried installing latest drivers from nvidia but it doen't help.
>> > Its
>> > the same.
>> > Any help is appreciated.
>> > Thanks
>>
>>
>>

Skoots
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Media Center blank screen & Screen Saver hangs
Posted: 10-11-2006, 12:32 PM
I've had the same problem with the blank screen in Media center after
installing the update drivers from Nvidia. I reverted back to the old
drivers and everything worked fine again.


"JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
news:%23rQIYmK6GHA.4604@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> It may be that Vista is not recognizing that you have more then 32MB on
> your 5200 card available. Does the additional memory show up in the
> system BIOS as allocated?
>
> "Praveen" <Praveen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:00974180-426B-4F30-B297-420DB46574FE@microsoft.com...
>> JW I have 30MB on the card, and 127 mb of shared mem. CPU is X86.
>> yeah i used 96.33 drivers. I actually had to change the inf file to
>> install
>> them. but they were of no use. excact same behaviour with them too.
>>
>> This is the first time that i installed vista on that laptop.
>>
>> "JW" wrote:
>>
>>> How much memory onboard your 5200 card?
>>> By the latest drivers I assume you mean th 96.33 drivers for you CPU X86
>>> or
>>> 64 bit.
>>> Did you have a previous of Vista working on your laptop?
>>>
>>> "Praveen" <Praveen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> news:904F049B-4151-415F-923B-E106C5980C61@microsoft.com...
>>> >I have installed Vista Build 5728 on my Inspiron 8600 laptop. It has a
>>> >nvidia
>>> > geforce go5200 display card.
>>> >
>>> > The problems i have are:
>>> > 1) Vista hangs whenever a screen saver other than the default one
>>> > runs. It
>>> > just hangs. I am using the screen savers that come with vista.
>>> >
>>> > 2) If i run media center It just goes blank.
>>> >
>>> > I have tried installing latest drivers from nvidia but it doen't help.
>>> > Its
>>> > the same.
>>> > Any help is appreciated.
>>> > Thanks
>>>
>>>
>>>
>
>
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows Media Player 11 does not overide teh Screen Saver in Vista Moore Cat Windows Vista Performance & Maintenance 1 07-05-2007 06:56 PM
Blank Screen for XP Home Edition Startup & Hangs Laura Windows XP Accessibility 3 11-12-2003 09:04 PM
Screen Saver & Login Screen Deby Windows XP Basics 1 08-12-2003 05:18 PM
Disable logon screen after screen saver Briarius Windows XP Setup 0 08-11-2003 05:18 AM
Welcome Screen (Screen Saver) Geoff Windows XP Security & Administration 1 07-28-2003 08:31 AM