Microsoft Outlook Files with Vista and XP

Posted: 08-30-2008, 01:22 PM

I am VERY new at Outlook, and I am working on a Vista desktop but hav
an XP laptop. Can I somehow use a flash drive to transfer the Outloo
data from this desktop to the laptop each day? I just don't want t
mess up anything. Thank you in advance

--
laprostitc
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
laprostitch's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/laprostitch.ht
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-fil...ent/1029643.ht

http://forums.techarena.i

Microsoft Outlook Files with Vista and XP


Responses to "Microsoft Outlook Files with Vista and XP"

Paul Montgomery
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Microsoft Outlook Files with Vista and XP
Posted: 08-30-2008, 04:03 PM
On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 18:52:49 +0530, laprostitch
<laprostitch.3eym7c@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:
>I am VERY new at Outlook, and I am working on a Vista desktop but have
>an XP laptop. Can I somehow use a flash drive to transfer the Outlook
>data from this desktop to the laptop each day? I just don't want to
>mess up anything. Thank you in advance!
I've done it many times between two XP systems and with Outlook 2003,
even though it's not recommended. I merely transferred the entire
contents of the folder containing the Outlook.pst file between the two
machines so I could keep each machine current.

With Vista to XP, I wouln't know. Plus you are probably using Outlook
2007.

Better check with the folks in

microsoft.public.outlook.general or outlook.newusers

And that's not available on the forum you are using.

Check it out at:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...fault.mspx?d=1
laprostitch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Microsoft Outlook Files with Vista and XP
Posted: 08-30-2008, 04:56 PM

Thank you so much! I just didn't want to make any mistakes. I actuall
have Outlook 2003 installed on both computers. I appreciate your help

--
laprostitc
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
laprostitch's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/laprostitch.ht
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-fil...ent/1029643.ht

http://forums.techarena.i

IF-ONLY
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Re: Microsoft Outlook Files with Vista and XP
Posted: 08-31-2008, 01:18 AM
laprostitch <laprostitch.3eyuje@DoNotSpam.com> posted
>
>Thank you so much! I just didn't want to make any mistakes. I actually
>have Outlook 2003 installed on both computers. I appreciate your help.
I have used dual boot, while using Outlook - in many OS's. After Outlook is
installed and running. (configured). Just go to the Open *PST file, and then
make the new PST file the default email drop off.

Once your restart Outlook, you can then close the original start up PST file. It
will move all folders and calendar files to your old PST file. (That you added).
I always use a separate drive, so both OSs see it on the same "Drive". eg. C: =
XP, D: has Vista on it, but both share Drive E: with the data files on it. Both
OSs will point to the PST file on E:/

All good.
Hank Arnold (MVP)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Microsoft Outlook Files with Vista and XP
Posted: 08-31-2008, 11:35 AM
laprostitch wrote:
> I am VERY new at Outlook, and I am working on a Vista desktop but have
> an XP laptop. Can I somehow use a flash drive to transfer the Outlook
> data from this desktop to the laptop each day? I just don't want to
> mess up anything. Thank you in advance!
>
>
I did it when I got a new Dell with Vista Home Premium and imported the
data from my old XP machine.... It was 2007, but there's no reason I can
think of that it wouldn't work with 2003..... IIRC, I did it by
exporting to PST files...

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Microsoft MVP
Windows Server - Directory Services
DL
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Microsoft Outlook Files with Vista and XP
Posted: 08-31-2008, 08:16 PM
Niether Import or Export is the advised method to treat native OL data
With OL closed simply copy the pst's
Locate them in the Documents Folder
Within OL File>Open>Data File......browse to the file(s) and open
(Import/Export loses rules, amongst other things)

"Hank Arnold (MVP)" <rasilon@aol.com> wrote in message
news:eJE9u21CJHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> laprostitch wrote:
>> I am VERY new at Outlook, and I am working on a Vista desktop but have
>> an XP laptop. Can I somehow use a flash drive to transfer the Outlook
>> data from this desktop to the laptop each day? I just don't want to
>> mess up anything. Thank you in advance!
>>
>>
>
> I did it when I got a new Dell with Vista Home Premium and imported the
> data from my old XP machine.... It was 2007, but there's no reason I can
> think of that it wouldn't work with 2003..... IIRC, I did it by exporting
> to PST files...
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Hank Arnold
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Server - Directory Services

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't connect to ftp link from Microsoft Outlook,using Vista Butch Windows Vista Security 0 01-26-2008 12:57 AM
Very slow downloads in Microsoft Outlook 2007 running Win Vista Uday Sahgal Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 0 12-13-2007 08:09 AM
Importing .pst files from Outlook Express into Vista Microsoft Mai atcbird Windows Vista Mail 8 07-19-2007 09:50 AM
Microsoft Office OUTLOOK WEB ACCESS w/VISTA David Bolsega Windows Vista Mail 3 11-05-2006 07:36 AM
Importing Microsoft Outlook files to new computer Ian Nicholls Windows XP Setup 1 11-19-2003 10:28 AM