Missing registry files // cant start all windows programs!!

Posted: 12-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Hey guys!

Im new to this forum but i hope it goes well (sorry for my poor English).

I have a problem after running a registry cleaner program who removed
registry files i needed to start up my pc properly...

Now my windows starts and all but i cant use the mice or the keyboard and
its very few programs witch starts. I've tried to run the pc in safe mode and
normal but none of them work properly and i have tried to run the system
recovery from the windows dvd.
But the windows dvd can't find my vista 64 bit.

This is my computer:
Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 2x GeForce 8800GT Sli Harddisks: 763 GB Memory: 4094 MB OS:
Windows Vista™ Home Premium 64 bit

I hope you can understand my problem (if not just ask) and i would be realy
happy if you could help me.

Best regards,
Memon / Niklas

Missing registry files // cant start all windows programs!!


Responses to "Missing registry files // cant start all windows programs!!"

Ken Blake, MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Missing registry files // cant start all windows programs!!
Posted: 12-06-2008, 08:18 PM
On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 12:05:00 -0800, Memon
<Memon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hey guys!
>
> Im new to this forum but i hope it goes well (sorry for my poor English).

Your English is fine.

> I have a problem after running a registry cleaner program who removed
> registry files i needed to start up my pc properly...

Registry cleaning programs should never be run, and your experience
with it is unfortunately not an uncommon one. Here's my standard
message on the subject:

Registry cleaning programs are *all* snake oil. Cleaning of the
registry isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and
don't use any registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and
what vendors of registry cleaning software try to convince you of,
having unused registry entries doesn't really hurt you.
The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
it may have.

Read http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html


You don't say which Registry cleaning program you used, but most of
them have the built-in ability to undo whatever they've done. You
should look to see if you can do that.

>
> Now my windows starts and all but i cant use the mice or the keyboard and
> its very few programs witch starts. I've tried to run the pc in safe mode and
> normal but none of them work properly and i have tried to run the system
> recovery from the windows dvd.
> But the windows dvd can't find my vista 64 bit.
>
> This is my computer:
> Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 2x GeForce 8800GT Sli Harddisks: 763 GB Memory: 4094 MB OS:
> Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit
>
> I hope you can understand my problem (if not just ask) and i would be realy
> happy if you could help me.
>
> Best regards,
> Memon / Niklas
--
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Malke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Missing registry files // cant start all windows programs!!
Posted: 12-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Memon wrote:
> Hey guys!
>
> Im new to this forum but i hope it goes well (sorry for my poor English).
>
> I have a problem after running a registry cleaner program who removed
> registry files i needed to start up my pc properly...
>
> Now my windows starts and all but i cant use the mice or the keyboard and
> its very few programs witch starts. I've tried to run the pc in safe mode
> and normal but none of them work properly and i have tried to run the
> system recovery from the windows dvd.
> But the windows dvd can't find my vista 64 bit.
>
> This is my computer:
> Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 2x GeForce 8800GT Sli Harddisks: 763 GB Memory: 4094 MB
> OS: Windows Vista? Home Premium 64 bit
And this is a perfect example of why not to use registry cleaners. If you
*can* run this program (since you say you do have some programs that
start), definitely use its Undo feature.

If you can't, then you need to run Startup Repair from the Vista DVD. You
may need to load drivers for your SATA controller.

Otherwise, back up your data from outside Windows by either pulling the
drive and attaching it to a working computer or by booting with a Linux
Live CD and do a clean install of Windows.

http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 - registry cleaner thread

Or take the machine to a professional computer repair shop. I don't
recommend using a BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Memon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Missing registry files // cant start all windows programs!!
Posted: 12-06-2008, 08:31 PM


"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
> You don't say which Registry cleaning program you used, but most of
> them have the built-in ability to undo whatever they've done. You
> should look to see if you can do that."
I used Uniblue Registry Booster 2009 and yes it has a built-in ability to
undo but i cant use windows so i don't really know how to use that function.
Memon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Missing registry files // cant start all windows programs!!
Posted: 12-06-2008, 08:49 PM


"Malke" wrote:
> If you can't, then you need to run Startup Repair from the Vista DVD. You
> may need to load drivers for your SATA controller."
Uhmm... Where do i find the drivers? The motherboard i use is Asus P5N-T
Deluxe nForce 780i SLI, Socket 775
And as i said my operating system doesn't show in the list where i should
chose it.
Malke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Missing registry files // cant start all windows programs!!
Posted: 12-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Memon wrote:
>
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> If you can't, then you need to run Startup Repair from the Vista DVD. You
>> may need to load drivers for your SATA controller."
>
> Uhmm... Where do i find the drivers? The motherboard i use is Asus P5N-T
> Deluxe nForce 780i SLI, Socket 775
> And as i said my operating system doesn't show in the list where i should
> chose it.
You get the drivers from either the computer mftr.'s website if you have an
OEM machine (HP, Dell, etc.) or the motherboard mftr.'s website. You can
have the drivers on a USB flash drive. After you boot with the Vista DVD,
look for the link to Add Drivers and click it.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows Vista and programs to monitor registry, files, etc. Ant Windows Vista Install & Setup 2 03-22-2006 11:12 AM
Windows Vista and programs to monitor registry, files, etc. Ant Windows Vista File Management 2 03-22-2006 11:12 AM
Windows Vista and programs to monitor registry, files, etc. Ant Windows Vista 2 03-22-2006 11:12 AM
windows won't start- due to missing files JC Windows XP Hardware 1 10-24-2003 02:33 AM
Missing programs on start menu (windows xp) Sharon F Windows XP Basics 0 09-07-2003 02:35 PM