Moving files to a new account (Vista)

Posted: 01-07-2009, 02:25 AM

Hi. I swear I have read old posts and still cannot figure out how to ge
a file or program from one user account to another user account o
Vista. I can't believe I cannot figure this out!!!!

BTW, neither user account is the admin account

--
LostOnline

Moving files to a new account (Vista)


Responses to "Moving files to a new account (Vista)"

Gordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Moving files to a new account (Vista)
Posted: 01-07-2009, 08:30 AM
LostOnline wrote:
> Hi. I swear I have read old posts and still cannot figure out how to get
> a file or program from one user account to another user account on
> Vista. I can't believe I cannot figure this out!!!!!
>
> BTW, neither user account is the admin account.
>
>
If it's a PROGRAM then you can't just copy it. You need to either copy
the program icon, or re-install it.
A file should be easy - just copy and paste...
What problems are you having with copy and paste?

--
Asking a question?
Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
your OS, Service Pack level
and the FULL contents of any error message(s)
LostOnline
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Moving files to a new account (Vista)
Posted: 01-07-2009, 05:17 PM

I go into account 1 and copy a file, then switch users and go int
account 2 to paste. However, once I get to account 2 there doesn't see
to be anything to paste. It is as though it doesn't come with me when
switch accounts

Mostly, we want to move a bunch of music downloads

--
LostOnline
Malke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Moving files to a new account (Vista)
Posted: 01-07-2009, 06:22 PM
LostOnline wrote:
>
> I go into account 1 and copy a file, then switch users and go into
> account 2 to paste. However, once I get to account 2 there doesn't seem
> to be anything to paste. It is as though it doesn't come with me when I
> switch accounts.
>
> Mostly, we want to move a bunch of music downloads.
I think that things stored in the clipboard (where the copy is held
temporarily) don't transfer from user account to user account. I don't
believe it was any different in XP. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone wiser
will correct me.

The best way to do what you want - and it will certainly take less time in
any case - is to simply copy the files you want to share to the Public
directory. The Public directory is the place where you put files that
should be accessible to all users on the system. If you copy your music
files to Public, you can do all your copying and then log off (or switch)
and get your files from the other account with no fuss at all.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Gordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Moving files to a new account (Vista)
Posted: 01-07-2009, 06:24 PM
LostOnline wrote:
> I go into account 1 and copy a file, then switch users and go into
> account 2 to paste. However, once I get to account 2 there doesn't seem
> to be anything to paste. It is as though it doesn't come with me when I
> switch accounts.
>
> Mostly, we want to move a bunch of music downloads.
>
>
Why are you doing that? You need to copy and paste logged on as the SAME
ACCOUNT.....

--
Asking a question?
Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
your OS, Service Pack level
and the FULL contents of any error message(s)
Richard G. Harper [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Moving files to a new account (Vista)
Posted: 01-08-2009, 12:07 AM
This is both my expectation and experience - when you log off all sorts of
transient storage is cleared and that has always included Clipboard
material.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Desktop] rgharper@gmail.com
* NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
* PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
* The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/


"Malke" <malke@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:O%231VtTPcJHA.552@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> I think that things stored in the clipboard (where the copy is held
> temporarily) don't transfer from user account to user account. I don't
> believe it was any different in XP. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone wiser
> will correct me.
LostOnline
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Moving files to a new account (Vista)
Posted: 01-08-2009, 05:44 AM

Gordon;932417 Wrote:
> LostOnline wrote:> > >
> > > I go into account 1 and copy a file, then switch users and go int
> > > account 2 to paste. However, once I get to account 2 there doesn'
> > see
> > > to be anything to paste. It is as though it doesn't come with m
> > when
> > > switch accounts
> >
> > > Mostly, we want to move a bunch of music downloads
> >
> > > > > Why are you doing that? You need to copy and paste logged on as th
> SAM
> ACCOUNT...
Because... as per my original question, I am trying to move files fro
one account to another. If I copied and pasted into the SAME ACCOUNT,
certainly wouldn't be moving the files to another account

Why are you so rude??? All I want is a bit of help, not a bit of ba
attitude

--
LostOnline
Gordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Moving files to a new account (Vista)
Posted: 01-08-2009, 08:19 AM
LostOnline wrote:
> Gordon;932417 Wrote:
>> LostOnline wrote:> > >
>>>> I go into account 1 and copy a file, then switch users and go into
>>>> account 2 to paste. However, once I get to account 2 there doesn't
>>> seem
>>>> to be anything to paste. It is as though it doesn't come with me
>>> when I
>>>> switch accounts.
>>>>
>>>> Mostly, we want to move a bunch of music downloads.
>>>>
>>>>>> Why are you doing that? You need to copy and paste logged on as the
>> SAME
>> ACCOUNT....
>
> Because... as per my original question, I am trying to move files from
> one account to another. If I copied and pasted into the SAME ACCOUNT, I
> certainly wouldn't be moving the files to another account.
>
> Why are you so rude??? All I want is a bit of help, not a bit of bad
> attitude.
>
>
No, you copy the file from the Documents folder in your account, then
still logged on as you, paste it in the Documents folder of the account
you want to move it to.
Where is the difficulty in that?

--
Asking a question?
Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
your OS, Service Pack level
and the FULL contents of any error message(s)
Malke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Moving files to a new account (Vista)
Posted: 01-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Gordon wrote:
> No, you copy the file from the Documents folder in your account, then
> still logged on as you, paste it in the Documents folder of the account
> you want to move it to.
> Where is the difficulty in that?
>
Because if s/he is running as a Standard user - as she *should* be - she
won't have access to any other accounts from within her own.

S/he should do as I already suggested and simply copy the desired files to
the Public directory. Then they will be available to any other accounts on
the system. All s/he has to do is log off into the next user account and
all the files will be available in Public.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Gordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Moving files to a new account (Vista)
Posted: 01-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Malke wrote:
> Gordon wrote:
>
>> No, you copy the file from the Documents folder in your account, then
>> still logged on as you, paste it in the Documents folder of the account
>> you want to move it to.
>> Where is the difficulty in that?
>>
>
> Because if s/he is running as a Standard user - as she *should* be - she
> won't have access to any other accounts from within her own.
Not so. I run Vista as a Standard user - I have access to other Standard
User's account folders on the same machine...
I have changed default locations for all users though.

>
> S/he should do as I already suggested and simply copy the desired files to
> the Public directory. Then they will be available to any other accounts on
> the system. All s/he has to do is log off into the next user account and
> all the files will be available in Public.
>
> Malke

--
Asking a question?
Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
your OS, Service Pack level
and the FULL contents of any error message(s)
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
moving files in vista windows explorer FireBrick Windows Vista File Management 3 08-17-2008 08:44 AM
moving files and programs from one adminstrator account to another sallyw Windows Vista Administration 0 10-16-2007 02:56 PM
Moving Windows 98 files to Vista Marcus Tibbe Windows Vista Install & Setup 3 09-20-2007 04:31 PM
Moving All Files from XP to Vista Richard C. Wize Windows Vista Mail 1 06-06-2007 04:59 AM
Moving Account Settings (e-mail) to a New Computer >XP to Vista John Windows Vista Mail 3 02-26-2007 05:39 AM