Moving XP to a second hard drive

Posted: 01-06-2005, 03:15 PM
The hard drive that I boot from seems to be going out. I have a second hard
drive on this computer. Is there any way that I can move XP to the second
hard drive so when my current C: drive goes out that i can boot from my
second hard drive.

Dean

Moving XP to a second hard drive


Responses to "Moving XP to a second hard drive"

Carey Frisch [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Moving XP to a second hard drive
Posted: 01-06-2005, 03:31 PM
A procedure for copying your old hard drive system to
a new hard drive is often included in a User's Guide
that comes with a new hard drive. You can also visit
the support web site of the manufacturer of your new
hard drive to obtain instructions.

The alternative is to purchase a drive imaging program,
such as Partition Magic 8.0
http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

How to perform a disk-to-disk clone
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...01032917165825

Animated Shockwave tutorial with sound
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/tut...7165825_s.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...t/default.aspx

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"ND Fan" wrote:

| The hard drive that I boot from seems to be going out. I have a second hard
| drive on this computer. Is there any way that I can move XP to the second
| hard drive so when my current C: drive goes out that i can boot from my
| second hard drive.
|
| Dean
Michael Stevens
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Moving XP to a second hard drive
Posted: 01-06-2005, 09:59 PM
ND Fan wrote:
> The hard drive that I boot from seems to be going out. I have a
> second hard drive on this computer. Is there any way that I can move
> XP to the second hard drive so when my current C: drive goes out that
> i can boot from my second hard drive.
>
> Dean
Click on or copy and paste the link below into your web browser address bar.
BootIT NG from Terabyte
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/
Image for Windows and DOS
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/imagew.html
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads/image.zip
Drive Image from Power Quest
http://www.powerquest.com/
Symantec Ghost.
http://www.symantec.com/servsupp.html
Maxblast II Plus
http://tinyurl.com/275m
Western Digital
http://support.wdc.com/download/#dlgtools
Casper XP
http://www.fssdev.com/
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
http://michaelstevenstech.com
For a better newsgroup experience. Setup a newsreader.
http://michaelstevenstech.com/outloo...snewreader.htm



Kent W. England [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Moving XP to a second hard drive
Posted: 01-24-2005, 12:54 AM
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote on 06-Jan-2005 7:31 AM:
> A procedure for copying your old hard drive system to
> a new hard drive is often included in a User's Guide
> that comes with a new hard drive. You can also visit
> the support web site of the manufacturer of your new
> hard drive to obtain instructions.
>
> The alternative is to purchase a drive imaging program,
> such as Partition Magic 8.0
> http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/
>
> How to perform a disk-to-disk clone
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...01032917165825
>
> Animated Shockwave tutorial with sound
> http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/tut...7165825_s.html
>
Carey's advice is very sound and recommended, but some users find that
the hard drive utility doesn't properly setup the new hard drive for
use. You sometimes have to boot the XP recovery console and set the
partition as active to allow it to boot. A third party boot manager can
make this easier.

Also be careful not to install XP on the new drive while the old drive
is in the machine. You won't be able to remove the old drive and boot
the new drive as some critical files will be on the old drive. You have
to use a boot/partition manager or a disk clone utility, as well as
something to activate the partition, if required.

If you are technically savvy, now would be a good time to try
www.bootitng.com. A great value and superb tool, but complicated. If you
really don't want more than one partition on your new hard drive, use
the hard drive utility but rummage around and find your XP CD (not the
Recovery CD, the XP CD). If you don't have an XP CD, post back for more
help in getting prepared to fix any problem that arises from the hard
disk copy utility. Also note that you might need to download the most
recent version of the copy utility from the hard drive maker's web site,
to ensure that what you have is XP compatible, meaning NTFS compatible.
Some hard drives sit on the shelf for a long time.

--
Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security
Timothy Daniels
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Moving XP to a second hard drive
Posted: 01-24-2005, 01:25 AM
"Kent W. England [MVP]" <kwe@mvps.org> wrote:
> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote on 06-Jan-2005 7:31 AM:
>> A procedure for copying your old hard drive system to
>> a new hard drive is often included in a User's Guide
>> that comes with a new hard drive. You can also visit
>> the support web site of the manufacturer of your new
>> hard drive to obtain instructions.
>>
>> The alternative is to purchase a drive imaging program,
>> such as Partition Magic 8.0
>> http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/
>>
>> How to perform a disk-to-disk clone
>> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...01032917165825
>>
>> Animated Shockwave tutorial with sound
>> http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/tut...7165825_s.html
>>
>
> Carey's advice is very sound and recommended, but some users find
> that the hard drive utility doesn't properly setup the new hard drive for
> use. You sometimes have to boot the XP recovery console and set the
> partition as active to allow it to boot. A third party boot manager can
> make this easier.
>
> Also be careful not to install XP on the new drive while the old drive
> is in the machine. You won't be able to remove the old drive and boot
> the new drive as some critical files will be on the old drive. You have
> to use a boot/partition manager or a disk clone utility, as well as
> something to activate the partition, if required.
>
> If you are technically savvy, now would be a good time to try
> www.bootitng.com. A great value and superb tool, but complicated.
> If you really don't want more than one partition on your new hard drive,
> use the hard drive utility but rummage around and find your XP CD
> (not the Recovery CD, the XP CD). If you don't have an XP CD, post
> back for more help in getting prepared to fix any problem that arises
> from the hard disk copy utility. Also note that you might need to
> download the most recent version of the copy utility from the hard drive
> maker's web site, to ensure that what you have is XP compatible,
> meaning NTFS compatible. Some hard drives sit on the shelf for a
> long time.

The Disk Management utility in WinXP can be used to mark a
partition "active". This can be run from the old OS before the new
OS is booted for the 1st time. PowerQuest's Drive Image 7.x (and
presumably its derivative Symantec Ghost 9.0) ask whether the
new partition should be marked "active", obviating the need to do
that separately.

*TimDan*
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
moving hard drive jeremy Windows XP Hardware 4 04-26-2004 12:51 AM
Moving os to another hard drive? Pete Windows XP Hardware 3 04-13-2004 02:10 PM
new hard drive - moving XP fleming Windows XP Hardware 3 03-01-2004 06:38 PM
moving a hard drive to a different pc Moore Info Windows XP Hardware 1 09-29-2003 01:43 AM
Moving XP to New Hard Drive Karen Windows XP Setup 0 08-19-2003 01:21 AM