Mysterious "Blocked startup programs" Notification

Posted: 07-27-2008, 09:35 PM
I am having trouble figuring out what is actually being blocked at startup.
Recently, when I restart my computer, "Blocked startup programs" notification
icon appears in the notification area at the right of the taskbar. When I
right-click the icon, I have the option to "Show or remove blocked startup
programs" or to "Run blocked program".

If I click the "Show or remove" option, I get a System Configuration Utility
dialog box with checkbox lists of Startup Items, but no indication of which
item I should unblock.

On the other hand, if I run the pointer over the "Run blocked program" line,
I get pop-up line showing the multi-colored Microsoft shield and the words
"Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor". When I click that line, I get User Account
Control dialog box to Allow or Cancel p_981116.exe Unidentified publisher
C:\Windows\p_981116.exe/Q:A

I'm not sure if this is important or not, but the blocked startup program
Notification is annoying. What is the best fix?

Thanks.

Bill

Mysterious "Blocked startup programs" Notification


Responses to "Mysterious "Blocked startup programs" Notification"

CarolinaFaithful
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Mysterious "Blocked startup programs" Notification
Posted: 07-27-2008, 11:15 PM

Check this out
'p_981116.exe Windows process - What is it?
(http://www.file.net/process/p_981116.exe.html

--
CarolinaFaithfu

Your knowledge is appreciated. One can never learn too much.
Milo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Mysterious "Blocked startup programs" Notification
Posted: 07-28-2008, 05:00 AM
Verify what company is the author from the application prompted console
If it is Microsoft then allow such, You may wanna allow such.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/star....exe-4284.html


"Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:53CA0A6A-0001-4F91-9078-153B78807A6F@microsoft.com...
> I am having trouble figuring out what is actually being blocked at
> startup.
> Recently, when I restart my computer, "Blocked startup programs"
> notification
> icon appears in the notification area at the right of the taskbar. When I
> right-click the icon, I have the option to "Show or remove blocked startup
> programs" or to "Run blocked program".
>
> If I click the "Show or remove" option, I get a System Configuration
> Utility
> dialog box with checkbox lists of Startup Items, but no indication of
> which
> item I should unblock.
>
> On the other hand, if I run the pointer over the "Run blocked program"
> line,
> I get pop-up line showing the multi-colored Microsoft shield and the words
> "Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor". When I click that line, I get User
> Account
> Control dialog box to Allow or Cancel p_981116.exe Unidentified publisher
> C:\Windows\p_981116.exe/Q:A
>
> I'm not sure if this is important or not, but the blocked startup program
> Notification is annoying. What is the best fix?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bill
Mr. Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Mysterious "Blocked startup programs" Notification
Posted: 07-29-2008, 03:17 AM

"Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:53CA0A6A-0001-4F91-9078-153B78807A6F@microsoft.com...
>I am having trouble figuring out what is actually being blocked at startup.
> Recently, when I restart my computer, "Blocked startup programs"
> notification
> icon appears in the notification area at the right of the taskbar. When I
> right-click the icon, I have the option to "Show or remove blocked startup
> programs" or to "Run blocked program".
>
> If I click the "Show or remove" option, I get a System Configuration
> Utility
> dialog box with checkbox lists of Startup Items, but no indication of
> which
> item I should unblock.
>
> On the other hand, if I run the pointer over the "Run blocked program"
> line,
> I get pop-up line showing the multi-colored Microsoft shield and the words
> "Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor". When I click that line, I get User
> Account
> Control dialog box to Allow or Cancel p_981116.exe Unidentified publisher
> C:\Windows\p_981116.exe/Q:A
>
> I'm not sure if this is important or not, but the blocked startup program
> Notification is annoying. What is the best fix?
>
The best solution is get it out of the Start-up and not let it start.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/star....exe-4284.html


Milo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Mysterious "Blocked startup programs" Notification
Posted: 07-29-2008, 03:50 AM
You're only basing it on File Naming convention but not on indepth CRC or
MD5 record of such file so the best way would be is to have it verified


"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message
news:e0HycmS8IHA.4820@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>
> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:53CA0A6A-0001-4F91-9078-153B78807A6F@microsoft.com...
>>I am having trouble figuring out what is actually being blocked at
>>startup.
>> Recently, when I restart my computer, "Blocked startup programs"
>> notification
>> icon appears in the notification area at the right of the taskbar. When
>> I
>> right-click the icon, I have the option to "Show or remove blocked
>> startup
>> programs" or to "Run blocked program".
>>
>> If I click the "Show or remove" option, I get a System Configuration
>> Utility
>> dialog box with checkbox lists of Startup Items, but no indication of
>> which
>> item I should unblock.
>>
>> On the other hand, if I run the pointer over the "Run blocked program"
>> line,
>> I get pop-up line showing the multi-colored Microsoft shield and the
>> words
>> "Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor". When I click that line, I get User
>> Account
>> Control dialog box to Allow or Cancel p_981116.exe Unidentified
>> publisher
>> C:\Windows\p_981116.exe/Q:A
>>
>> I'm not sure if this is important or not, but the blocked startup program
>> Notification is annoying. What is the best fix?
>>
>
> The best solution is get it out of the Start-up and not let it start.
>
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/star....exe-4284.html
>
>
Mr. Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Mysterious "Blocked startup programs" Notification
Posted: 07-29-2008, 04:05 AM


"Milo" <jfcoel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:E5F520C2-1887-48DE-86DC-E8C342496E23@microsoft.com...
> You're only basing it on File Naming convention but not on indepth CRC or
> MD5 record of such file so the best way would be is to have it verified
>
If one doesn't want it to start, then one removes it or stops it from
starting, if one doesn't know what it is. One can do whatever he or she
wants to after that but stop it from executing. That's the best move is to
stop it from executing. You don't let something run on the system, and you
don't know what it is or how it got there.
>
> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message
> news:e0HycmS8IHA.4820@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:53CA0A6A-0001-4F91-9078-153B78807A6F@microsoft.com...
>>>I am having trouble figuring out what is actually being blocked at
>>>startup.
>>> Recently, when I restart my computer, "Blocked startup programs"
>>> notification
>>> icon appears in the notification area at the right of the taskbar. When
>>> I
>>> right-click the icon, I have the option to "Show or remove blocked
>>> startup
>>> programs" or to "Run blocked program".
>>>
>>> If I click the "Show or remove" option, I get a System Configuration
>>> Utility
>>> dialog box with checkbox lists of Startup Items, but no indication of
>>> which
>>> item I should unblock.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, if I run the pointer over the "Run blocked program"
>>> line,
>>> I get pop-up line showing the multi-colored Microsoft shield and the
>>> words
>>> "Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor". When I click that line, I get User
>>> Account
>>> Control dialog box to Allow or Cancel p_981116.exe Unidentified
>>> publisher
>>> C:\Windows\p_981116.exe/Q:A
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if this is important or not, but the blocked startup
>>> program
>>> Notification is annoying. What is the best fix?
>>>
>>
>> The best solution is get it out of the Start-up and not let it start.
>>
>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/star....exe-4284.html
>>
>>
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mysterious file & folder "owner". normviv73 Windows Vista Security 1 03-14-2008 07:56 PM
Blocked Startup Programs Notification Miklaing Windows Vista Performance & Maintenance 2 07-29-2007 07:42 PM
"quicken background agent" / "quicken scheduled updates" blocked in Vista Options markm75 Windows Vista Security 0 06-16-2007 01:10 AM
Any way to change "Status" and "Startup Type" of multiple services at the same time? Jon Danniken Windows XP Configuration & Management 16 09-03-2005 01:45 AM
Mysterious "desktop" error/warning dialogs every boot. Sixbells Windows XP Setup 0 02-09-2004 04:11 PM