Need Help RE: UPDATES

Posted: 01-29-2009, 11:28 PM
I just installed the Service Pack 3.5 update. Does this replace all the other
Service Packs I currently have listed in my programs ie: SP 2, SP 3?
And if so can I delete those as this update used alot of disk space?
I use Windows xp pro and have my updates automatically set up to install.
Could someone tell me are these updates crucial and can I delete the other
older
updates?
Thanks

Need Help RE: UPDATES


Responses to "Need Help RE: UPDATES"

Patrick Keenan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Need Help RE: UPDATES
Posted: 01-30-2009, 12:41 AM
"Donna" <Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:9907126D-3F34-4F0E-9983-13EF6016151B@microsoft.com...
>I just installed the Service Pack 3.5 update. Does this replace all the
>other
> Service Packs I currently have listed in my programs ie: SP 2, SP 3?
> And if so can I delete those as this update used alot of disk space?
> I use Windows xp pro and have my updates automatically set up to install.
> Could someone tell me are these updates crucial and can I delete the other
> older
> updates?
> Thanks
Service Pack 3.5 of *what*?

I think you're referring to the .NET framework 3.5 update, and in many cases
it isn't necessary.

No, generally the .NET versions are not cumulative - 3.x does not replace 1
or 2, and 2 does not supercede 1.

As to whether you need them, if you're running applications that require
them, yes, you do.

HTH
-pk


wiliamtell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Need Help RE: UPDATES
Posted: 01-30-2009, 12:49 AM
Hi Donna,

3.5 will overwrite 2.0 sp2 and 3.0 sp2, plus install 3.5 sp1. Keep in mind
if you already have 2.0 and or 3.0 the memory on your machine is occupied,
3.5 in itself is 28.27mb, as far as I am concerned, I amnot going to
uninstall any .NET from my machine, gaining knwledge from thes newsgroups,
that could cause more trouble than it is worth. Check out the update ng,
many posts there about 3.5.
Good Luck!
WT
"Donna" <Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:9907126D-3F34-4F0E-9983-13EF6016151B@microsoft.com...
>I just installed the Service Pack 3.5 update. Does this replace all the
>other
> Service Packs I currently have listed in my programs ie: SP 2, SP 3?
> And if so can I delete those as this update used alot of disk space?
> I use Windows xp pro and have my updates automatically set up to install.
> Could someone tell me are these updates crucial and can I delete the other
> older
> updates?
> Thanks

TaurArian
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Need Help RE: UPDATES
Posted: 01-30-2009, 01:00 AM
Donna wrote:
:: I just installed the Service Pack 3.5 update. Does this replace all
:: the other Service Packs I currently have listed in my programs ie:
:: SP 2, SP 3?
:: And if so can I delete those as this update used alot of disk space?
:: I use Windows xp pro and have my updates automatically set up to
:: install. Could someone tell me are these updates crucial and can I
:: delete the other older
:: updates?
:: Thanks


Hi Donna, are you referrng to the Framework SP 3.5 ?

Benefits of the Microsoft .NET Framework
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829019

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
======================================
How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
or guarantees and doesn't give any rights. Computer Maintenance:
Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco



Gerry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Need Help RE: UPDATES
Posted: 01-30-2009, 01:30 AM
TaurArian

It leaves a large temporary file! How long does one need to keep it?
What is the best way to clean up?


--



Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TaurArian wrote:
> Donna wrote:
>>> I just installed the Service Pack 3.5 update. Does this replace all
>>> the other Service Packs I currently have listed in my programs ie:
>>> SP 2, SP 3?
>>> And if so can I delete those as this update used alot of disk space?
>>> I use Windows xp pro and have my updates automatically set up to
>>> install. Could someone tell me are these updates crucial and can I
>>> delete the other older
>>> updates?
>>> Thanks
>
>
> Hi Donna, are you referrng to the Framework SP 3.5 ?
>
> Benefits of the Microsoft .NET Framework
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829019

Patrick Keenan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Need Help RE: UPDATES
Posted: 01-30-2009, 01:39 AM

"wiliamtell" <wt@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
news:%23mxH9RngJHA.5000@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Hi Donna,
>
> 3.5 will overwrite 2.0 sp2 and 3.0 sp2, plus install 3.5 sp1. Keep in mind
> if you already have 2.0 and or 3.0 the memory on your machine is occupied,
> 3.5 in itself is 28.27mb, as far as I am concerned, I amnot going to
> uninstall any .NET from my machine, gaining knwledge from thes newsgroups,
> that could cause more trouble than it is worth. Check out the update ng,
> many posts there about 3.5.
> Good Luck!
> WT
Sorry, but that's not quite correct, and the situation is a little confusing
because of the name.

The three major versions of the .NET framework, 1, 2, and 3, are pretty much
distinct support applications, and .NET 3 does not replace .NET 2, and
neither replace .NET 1 or 1.1. However, you may find that 2 is required
for 3 to exist, so that if you have 3, you also have 2.

Programs are written to run with a specific version of the .NET framework,
and other versions won't necessarily work at all.

The situation is somewhat similar to what used to be the case with
MSVCRTxx.dll files. Later version numbers do not guarantee that functions
contained in earlier ones are either the same or included at all, so you may
actually need to have all versions.

So the time when you no longer need a .NET version is the time you no longer
have or run applications that rely on that .NET version.

HTH
-pk

> "Donna" <Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:9907126D-3F34-4F0E-9983-13EF6016151B@microsoft.com...
>>I just installed the Service Pack 3.5 update. Does this replace all the
>>other
>> Service Packs I currently have listed in my programs ie: SP 2, SP 3?
>> And if so can I delete those as this update used alot of disk space?
>> I use Windows xp pro and have my updates automatically set up to install.
>> Could someone tell me are these updates crucial and can I delete the
>> other
>> older
>> updates?
>> Thanks
>
>

TaurArian
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Need Help RE: UPDATES
Posted: 01-30-2009, 06:42 AM
Hi Gerry, I noticed a large file with random numbers/letters on my C: drive
after installation. I just deleted it.
Never gave it a thought. Is that the file you're referring to?
I used the full download file to do the installation and then recheck WU and
it came back with another 16 meg update which updated okay.
--


Gerry wrote:
:: TaurArian
::
:: It leaves a large temporary file! How long does one need to keep it?
:: What is the best way to clean up?
::
::
:: --
::
::
::
:: Gerry
:: ~~~~
:: FCA
:: Stourport, England
:: Enquire, plan and execute
:: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
::
:: TaurArian wrote:
::: Donna wrote:
::::: I just installed the Service Pack 3.5 update. Does this replace
::::: all the other Service Packs I currently have listed in my
::::: programs ie: SP 2, SP 3?
::::: And if so can I delete those as this update used alot of disk
::::: space? I use Windows xp pro and have my updates automatically set
::::: up to install. Could someone tell me are these updates crucial
::::: and can I delete the other older
::::: updates?
::::: Thanks
:::
:::
::: Hi Donna, are you referrng to the Framework SP 3.5 ?
:::
::: Benefits of the Microsoft .NET Framework
::: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829019




 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP! Can't change Automatic Updates or check for updates! VKGT Windows Vista Performance & Maintenance 0 07-01-2008 05:27 AM
Windows xp updates-how to change drive from c to d to accept updates GL Windows XP Help & Support 0 01-27-2004 06:11 PM
Help! Automatic updates or manual updates installation problems Michael D Windows XP Performance & Maintenance 2 11-07-2003 12:26 AM
Should I download Windows XP updates that are not the Criticial Updates? Joan Apt Windows XP New Users 7 10-06-2003 01:20 AM
updates frames issue - won't list needed updates, but rather another search zeph Windows XP 0 08-18-2003 08:47 PM