Network And Sharing Inaccessible - New Issue

Posted: 01-10-2009, 01:06 PM

Hi,
I have a Sony VAIO Laptop with Windows Vista Business (No Servic
Pack.)

There are two separate (related?) problems:

1. I cannot access Network And Sharing Center. I tried the other fi
out there (add local service to admin group) and no luck. A littl
digging and found that when I kill svchost.exe (controlling DCOM Serve
Process and Plug and Play) I am able to access the Network and Sharin
Center. I looked at the sub-processes in that svchost throug
ProcessExplorer and killed each on individually (except for the Inte
processes) and no luck. I have to kill the whole svchost.

2. Second problem is with Windows Installer. I tried unregistering it
copying msiexec.exe from the dvd and re-registering it. I set th
Windows Installer Service to start automatically and was able to get i
to work long enough to install the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility t
remove any funky programs (google updater was installed twice.) But th
Installer is again not working. It is inconsistent at best.

No events in Event Viewer. I would rather not have to wipe out the PC

Thanks,
Chuc

--
chuck
Posted via http://www.vistaheads.co

Network And Sharing Inaccessible - New Issue


Responses to "Network And Sharing Inaccessible - New Issue"

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Network And Sharing Inaccessible - New Issue
Posted: 01-10-2009, 02:46 PM
It could be 3rd party software issue. For troubleshooting, start the Vista
with clean boot. This how to may help.
Windows general
How to run Windows OS with a clean boot How to Run Windows Safe Mode
with Networking How to setup DHCP for IP Phone How to sort programs in
Start ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windo...owsgeneral.htm


--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"chuckm" <chuckm.3lsuk5@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message
news:chuckm.3lsuk5@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
>
> Hi,
> I have a Sony VAIO Laptop with Windows Vista Business (No Service
> Pack.)
>
> There are two separate (related?) problems:
>
> 1. I cannot access Network And Sharing Center. I tried the other fix
> out there (add local service to admin group) and no luck. A little
> digging and found that when I kill svchost.exe (controlling DCOM Server
> Process and Plug and Play) I am able to access the Network and Sharing
> Center. I looked at the sub-processes in that svchost through
> ProcessExplorer and killed each on individually (except for the Intel
> processes) and no luck. I have to kill the whole svchost.
>
> 2. Second problem is with Windows Installer. I tried unregistering it,
> copying msiexec.exe from the dvd and re-registering it. I set the
> Windows Installer Service to start automatically and was able to get it
> to work long enough to install the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility to
> remove any funky programs (google updater was installed twice.) But the
> Installer is again not working. It is inconsistent at best.
>
> No events in Event Viewer. I would rather not have to wipe out the PC.
>
> Thanks,
> Chuck
>
>
> --
> chuckm
> Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
>
chuckm
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Network And Sharing Inaccessible - New Issue
Posted: 01-10-2009, 08:07 PM

Thanks for the quick response.
I'm trying the clean boot to narrow down the problem. I'll update th
thread when I find it.
Thanks again.
Chuc

--
chuck
Posted via http://www.vistaheads.co

chuckm
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Network And Sharing Inaccessible - New Issue
Posted: 01-12-2009, 01:50 PM

Hi,
The clean boot worked. I was trying to go service by service t
determine the cause but there are just too many. I told the laptop owne
to alert me if an application does not work correctly or the issu
reappears.
Thanks again.
Chuc

--
chuck
Posted via http://www.vistaheads.co

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Network And Sharing Inaccessible - New Issue
Posted: 01-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Thank you for update. Please let us what's the problem.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"chuckm" <chuckm.3lwl8e@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message
news:chuckm.3lwl8e@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
>
> Hi,
> The clean boot worked. I was trying to go service by service to
> determine the cause but there are just too many. I told the laptop owner
> to alert me if an application does not work correctly or the issue
> reappears.
> Thanks again.
> Chuck
>
>
> --
> chuckm
> Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
>
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Network drive becomes inaccessible when downloading. reddevil Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 1 05-26-2007 11:27 AM
Folder properties and sharing inaccessible - XP Pro, SP2 AK Windows XP Configuration & Management 2 10-05-2004 02:38 AM
Network Drives inaccessible BladeRnR Windows XP Network & Web 1 10-10-2003 06:40 PM
College network inaccessible Bob Day Windows XP Network & Web 10 07-26-2003 06:57 PM
File Sharing Issue with Home network Mike P Windows XP Network & Web 1 07-03-2003 04:38 PM