Simon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: New hard drive, shall I bother moving?
Posted: 01-19-2009, 03:51 AM
>I don't imagine it would seem much faster. Your old drives are still quite
>up to spec for ATA drives. Unless you went to SATA (any version) you
>wouldn't detect much difference. If you test and compare the data transfer
>rates you might see a difference in speeds.
>
The new drive is a SATA drive.

For the sake of completeness, I'll use some of the tools suggested to do a
proper test to see if there was indeed a difference.

Simon

Simon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: New hard drive, shall I bother moving?
Posted: 01-19-2009, 03:56 AM
>I don't imagine it would seem much faster. Your old drives are still quite
>up to spec for ATA drives. Unless you went to SATA (any version) you
>wouldn't detect much difference. If you test and compare the data transfer
>rates you might see a difference in speeds.
>
The new drive is a SATA drive.

For the sake of completeness, I'll use some of the tools suggested to do a
proper test to see if there was indeed a difference.

To me it does not 'feel' faster but in reality it might be faster.
Having said that, if it does feel faster to me, it does not really matter if
it is faster in reality

Simon

Synapse Syndrome
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: New hard drive, shall I bother moving?
Posted: 01-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Mike Hall - MVP <mikehall@remove_mvps.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Seagate has a downloadable Acronis based utility that makes moving
>>> the OS a
>>> snap. Similarly one for Maxtor drives, which Seagate now owns.
>>
>> Thanks for that.
>>
>> I moved the OS to the new drive, that took less than an hour.
>>
>> As for performance, I am not sure, it 'looks' a tiny better faster.
>> But nothing jumps out and strikes me as a whole lot faster.
>>
>
> Those who suggested that it would were being a little optimistic. You
> have also lost a great external back up drive..
>

Are you proudly waving your ignorance around again? Wouldn't it make a lot
more sense to use a faster drive as the OS drive, as that is basically the
slowest part of any system, and use the slower ones for backup?

I still have two 80GB drives, which were the fastest model around in 2001
(and one of the very first with Fluid Dynamic Bearings and the only one ever
made with a ATA/133 interface, as far as I know). That was just one
generation before 120GB drives were around, and my 500GB drives are *much*
faster than the 80GB ones. I've also got two WD Raptor 10,000rpm drives, so
I am aware of how different speeds can be.

The OP can test using one of these programs:

http://crystalmark.info/software/Cry...k/index-e.html

http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public...request=HdTach

ss.


Synapse Syndrome
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: New hard drive, shall I bother moving?
Posted: 01-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Synapse Syndrome <synapse@NOSPAMsyndrome.me.uk> wrote:
>
> The OP can test using one of these programs:
>
> http://crystalmark.info/software/Cry...k/index-e.html
>
> http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public...request=HdTach
>

Another one that you could use is SiSoft Sandra:

http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/


It's been quite a while since I last used it. While this one involves
installing the program and does all sorts of other benchmarks, unlike the
other two, it allows you to compare the performance of drives from different
generations, using particular models as examples.

Oh, HD Tach does that too.

ss.


Mike Hall - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: New hard drive, shall I bother moving?
Posted: 01-19-2009, 11:18 AM
"Simon" <spambucket@myoddweb.com> wrote in message
news:urx32neeJHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> Those who suggested that it would were being a little optimistic. You
>> have also lost a great external back up drive..
>>
>
> I am not sure I understand, what external drive is that?
>
> Simon

Your 500gb drive if placed in a USB enclosure would make a great backup
drive. It is better to use a large drive in this way as it allows more scope
for backups..

--
Mike Hall - MVP

Mike's Window - My Blog..
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx




Mike Hall - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: New hard drive, shall I bother moving?
Posted: 01-19-2009, 11:52 AM
"Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMsyndrome.me.uk> wrote in message
news:%23VAP$jheJHA.1860@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Mike Hall - MVP <mikehall@remove_mvps.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Seagate has a downloadable Acronis based utility that makes moving
>>>> the OS a
>>>> snap. Similarly one for Maxtor drives, which Seagate now owns.
>>>
>>> Thanks for that.
>>>
>>> I moved the OS to the new drive, that took less than an hour.
>>>
>>> As for performance, I am not sure, it 'looks' a tiny better faster.
>>> But nothing jumps out and strikes me as a whole lot faster.
>>>
>>
>> Those who suggested that it would were being a little optimistic. You
>> have also lost a great external back up drive..
>>
>
>
> Are you proudly waving your ignorance around again? Wouldn't it make a
> lot more sense to use a faster drive as the OS drive, as that is basically
> the slowest part of any system, and use the slower ones for backup?
>
> I still have two 80GB drives, which were the fastest model around in 2001
> (and one of the very first with Fluid Dynamic Bearings and the only one
> ever made with a ATA/133 interface, as far as I know). That was just one
> generation before 120GB drives were around, and my 500GB drives are *much*
> faster than the 80GB ones. I've also got two WD Raptor 10,000rpm drives,
> so I am aware of how different speeds can be.
>
> The OP can test using one of these programs:
>
> http://crystalmark.info/software/Cry...k/index-e.html
>
> http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public...request=HdTach
>
> ss.
>

It has nothing to do with arrogance.

While the 500gb drive has better performance, it will not be noticeable so
much unless the OP does things which involve a substantial amount of data
movement or pagefile usage and, in the meantime, he now has less options
regarding scope for backups..

--
Mike Hall - MVP

Mike's Window - My Blog..
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx




Synapse Syndrome
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: New hard drive, shall I bother moving?
Posted: 01-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Mike Hall - MVP <mikehall@remove_mvps.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Seagate has a downloadable Acronis based utility that makes moving
>>>>> the OS a
>>>>> snap. Similarly one for Maxtor drives, which Seagate now owns.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks for that.
>>>>
>>>> I moved the OS to the new drive, that took less than an hour.
>>>>
>>>> As for performance, I am not sure, it 'looks' a tiny better faster.
>>>> But nothing jumps out and strikes me as a whole lot faster.
>>>>
>>>
>>> Those who suggested that it would were being a little optimistic. You
>>> have also lost a great external back up drive..
>>>
>>
>>
>> Are you proudly waving your ignorance around again? Wouldn't it make a
>> lot more sense to use a faster drive as the OS drive, as that is
>> basically the slowest part of any system, and use the slower ones for
>> backup? I still have two 80GB drives, which were the fastest model around
>> in
>> 2001 (and one of the very first with Fluid Dynamic Bearings and the
>> only one ever made with a ATA/133 interface, as far as I know). That
>> was just one generation before 120GB drives were around, and my 500GB
>> drives are *much* faster than the 80GB ones. I've also got two WD
>> Raptor 10,000rpm drives, so I am aware of how different speeds can be.
>>
>> The OP can test using one of these programs:
>>
>> http://crystalmark.info/software/Cry...k/index-e.html
>>
>> http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public...request=HdTach
>>
>
>
> It has nothing to do with arrogance.
I said 'ignorance'. Leave the arrogance to me ;-)

> While the 500gb drive has better performance, it will not be noticeable
> so much unless the OP does things which involve a substantial amount of
> data movement or pagefile usage and, in the meantime, he now has less
> options regarding scope for backups..

He has two 120GB drives, which is what he can use for backups. He may not
choose to backup everything, like media files (which would be the only sort
of files most people would be able to fill the large drives of today with).
He also may not choose to backup the OS and applications, as they can be
replaced.

I have all my important data on two 500GB drives in RAID-1, which is good
protection against drive failure. All irreplaceable files are backed up on
the Amazon S3 servers, using JungleDisk.

ss.


RalfG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: New hard drive, shall I bother moving?
Posted: 01-20-2009, 12:59 AM
I hear that . ;-) Out of curiosity I tried that Crystal Diskmark utility
that was recommended on my own drives. I just recently put in a 1TB drive,
with Vista running on my 3 year old 300GB drive. BTW I own Maxtor drives
that are much older than that and still working fine. The old drive is SATA
1 and the new drive is SATA2 but connected to the same SATA 1 controller.
DiskMark rated the old drive at 52.38MB/s and 56.99 MB/s on a 100MB
sequential write/read while the new drive came in at 88.24 MB/s write and
92.58MB/s read.


"Simon" <spambucket@myoddweb.com> wrote in message
news:upqwDoeeJHA.5344@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> >I don't imagine it would seem much faster. Your old drives are still
> >quite
>>up to spec for ATA drives. Unless you went to SATA (any version) you
>>wouldn't detect much difference. If you test and compare the data
>>transfer
>>rates you might see a difference in speeds.
>>
>
> The new drive is a SATA drive.
>
> For the sake of completeness, I'll use some of the tools suggested to do a
> proper test to see if there was indeed a difference.
>
> To me it does not 'feel' faster but in reality it might be faster.
> Having said that, if it does feel faster to me, it does not really matter
> if it is faster in reality
>
> Simon
>
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving XP to a second hard drive ND Fan Windows XP Setup 4 01-24-2005 01:25 AM
moving hard drive jeremy Windows XP Hardware 4 04-26-2004 12:51 AM
new hard drive - moving XP fleming Windows XP Hardware 3 03-01-2004 06:38 PM
moving a hard drive to a different pc Moore Info Windows XP Hardware 1 09-29-2003 01:43 AM
Moving XP to New Hard Drive Karen Windows XP Setup 0 08-19-2003 01:21 AM