password(s) question

Posted: 01-22-2009, 02:30 PM
Is it possible to setup a screensaver password that is different than the
logon password to Windows?
In other words, I don't want my computer being accessed locally (because of
my windows mail being read by others) but still need access to other files
remotely.
I really need help with this so any advice please!

password(s) question


Responses to "password(s) question"

Rick Rogers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: password(s) question
Posted: 01-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Hi,

No, that's not possible. However, if you set up file sharing correctly via
permissions, there's no reason to password the files.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"Luvrsmel" <not@here.com> wrote in message
news:0EBE6F7D-641D-444A-B8D6-17A828317910@microsoft.com...
> Is it possible to setup a screensaver password that is different than the
> logon password to Windows?
> In other words, I don't want my computer being accessed locally (because
> of my windows mail being read by others) but still need access to other
> files remotely.
> I really need help with this so any advice please!
Luvrsmel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: password(s) question
Posted: 01-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Its not the remote files I'm worried about...it's my personal email getting
read by prying eyes when my back is turned.
The other person who needs the remote access is taking the priviledge one
step further and is also logging on locally because they know the windows
password.
They can then easily access my windows mail which they are doing.
I think windows 95 used to allow different passwords for local and remote
access ... but I'm not stepping back in time 14 years.

"Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:ufuxS%23UfJHA.5328@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> No, that's not possible. However, if you set up file sharing correctly via
> permissions, there's no reason to password the files.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>
> "Luvrsmel" <not@here.com> wrote in message
> news:0EBE6F7D-641D-444A-B8D6-17A828317910@microsoft.com...
>> Is it possible to setup a screensaver password that is different than the
>> logon password to Windows?
>> In other words, I don't want my computer being accessed locally (because
>> of my windows mail being read by others) but still need access to other
>> files remotely.
>> I really need help with this so any advice please!
>

Zaphod Beeblebrox
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: password(s) question
Posted: 01-26-2009, 07:54 PM
Sounds like you need to set up a separate account for this person that
is set to 'Deny log on locally', and then change the password for your
main account. That will allow them to access files over the network,
but not log on. To set the Deny log on locally flag, Start -
secpol.msc - Local Policy - User Rights Assignment - Deny log on
locally - Add User or Group

--
Zaphod

No matter where you go, there you are!


"Luvrsmel" <nothere@there.com> wrote in message
news:eQhLFJ9fJHA.5244@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Its not the remote files I'm worried about...it's my personal email
> getting read by prying eyes when my back is turned.
> The other person who needs the remote access is taking the priviledge
> one step further and is also logging on locally because they know the
> windows password.
> They can then easily access my windows mail which they are doing.
> I think windows 95 used to allow different passwords for local and
> remote access ... but I'm not stepping back in time 14 years.
>
> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:ufuxS%23UfJHA.5328@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> No, that's not possible. However, if you set up file sharing
>> correctly via permissions, there's no reason to password the files.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,
>>
>> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>>
>> "Luvrsmel" <not@here.com> wrote in message
>> news:0EBE6F7D-641D-444A-B8D6-17A828317910@microsoft.com...
>>> Is it possible to setup a screensaver password that is different
>>> than the logon password to Windows?
>>> In other words, I don't want my computer being accessed locally
>>> (because of my windows mail being read by others) but still need
>>> access to other files remotely.
>>> I really need help with this so any advice please!
>>
>
>

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
remote access & password question bascrapr Windows XP 3 01-06-2009 05:30 PM
Knoppix question / SU password Kwaj Mandriva Linux 6 09-26-2005 03:09 PM
Password Question Jeff Stanton Windows XP New Users 2 04-05-2004 12:11 AM
used iBook question: password Josh Steinberg Mac Applications 10 04-02-2004 02:19 PM
system password question Jerry Windows XP Games 2 07-20-2003 11:34 PM